Mega Man Megathon - The Quest to Defeat All Robot Masters

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
This is a cool idea! Good luck on the run, robot. I do an MMX 1-6 run every Christmas, but I think it's time to do this as well with the originals; I've never beaten 1,5,6.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
End of the month bump - did anyone else play through the original Megaman and finish?

Megaman 2 month coming up this weekend - playing Rockman 2 which I read here and elsewhere that it's more difficult. And I just discovered you lose all e-tanks on continue. Yikes!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Not in Possession of a famicom yet and not interested to play it on an Emulator - therefore I'm looking at GnG atm - but MM will have its time - looking forward to your report.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
March - Mega Man 2

Technically last day of Feb, but I went past midnight to March 1st so that's OK. Soooo...

Rock Man 2 complete! I wound up trucking right through the entire game in my first sitting. The only points that gave me problems were the infamous Crash Bomb boss, and both forms of Dr. Wily. Forgot that I wouldn't have enough Crash to destroy all walls and guns, so that took a little bit of thinking. Wily w/ no E Tanks was a little bit of a pain too. You can find my entire playthrough here and here.

Here's a pretty funny highlight from Quick Mans stage!

11017615_1594759450761610_211467284_n.jpg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Nice thread. I want to join in on this Mega Man action. It's been a while since I played though the original series not counting 1 and 2. Those games I played recently on my 3ds.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Quick update - Mega Man 3, 4 and 5 beaten! 3 and 4 were in March along with 2, then 5 in April. May marks the last of the NES/Famicom series!

Adding Rockman & Forte to the list, my cart arrived alongside MM7 last week.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
I've been playing Mega Man 2 this week for the first time in years. I ended up getting stuck somewhere in Wiley's Castle. I will go back and try to beat it but it's kind of annoying how you have to beat all if the castle levels in a row without passwords. Great game though. Some of my favorite music on the Nes.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've been embarked on a similar quest for about two years, but I've been going after EVERY action platformer in the series. I had a lot of them, but early in my run I used the Anniversary Collection and X Collection for some of the games. I have since bought a physical copy of every action platformer in the series except a few of the X games (which I still plan to track down) and Mega Man Game Gear.

So far I have beaten
Mega Man Game Boy 1-3
Mega Man Xtreme 1-2
Mega Man NES 1-3
Mega Man X 1-2, 4-6
Mega Man and Bass: Challenger from the Future (Wonderswan)
Rockman EXE WS (a Battle Network platformer for Wonderswan Color)
Mega Man Network Transmission
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man 8
Mega Man and Bass (GBA)
Street Fighter X Mega Man
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent

Working on Mega Man 4, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X3, and Mega Man Zero next although progress is slow... haven't polished a whole game off in about two months. Using all original hardware, too. No savestates or anything.

I started this about when the MN9 Kickstarter happened. I was so damn hyped.

EDIT:
about half of my games are US versions and half are Japanese

I have Mega Man 1 and 2 on NES, 3-6 on Famicom, 7 on Super Famicom, 8 on US Saturn, Bass on GBA, all my GB and GBC games are Japanese imports, the WS games are obviously imports, all my GBA versons and DS versions are US, Rockman X1-3 on Super Famicom, X4 and X5 on JP Saturn, X6 on US PS1, PSP remakes are US versions, Rockman Battle and Fighters JP import for NGPC

Still need X7 and X8 on PS2, will get US versions

Last edited:

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This thread has been long overdue for an update, but good news! I finished all 10 Mega Man games in 2015!

I omitted Mega Man & Bass since 7 & 8 left such a bad taste in my mouth. Blech.

Mega Man 9 was amazing. It was a combination of the return to the classic style of Mega Man, coupled with some awesome level design and clever use of the Robot Masters weapons. It's easily in the top 3 of the series (3, 2, then 9). 10 was a little less interesting to me to be honest, felt more phoned in and uninspired. I know people swear by it, but I just wasn't feeling it. Nitro Man was a really cool Robot Master though.

So my final order of games goes something like this:

3, 2, 9, 6/5, 10/4, 7/8

I grouped those last 3 rankings together since I really had no preference to individual titles after the top 3 - except that I really really didn't like 7/8. They were fundamentally average games, but as Mega Man games they felt off. I did like MM8's graphics though. And that intro....oh baby!

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
This thread has been long overdue for an update, but good news! I finished all 10 Mega Man games in 2015!

I omitted Mega Man & Bass since 7 & 8 left such a bad taste in my mouth. Blech.

Mega Man 9 was amazing. It was a combination of the return to the classic style of Mega Man, coupled with some awesome level design and clever use of the Robot Masters weapons. It's easily in the top 3 of the series (3, 2, then 9). 10 was a little less interesting to me to be honest, felt more phoned in and uninspired. I know people swear by it, but I just wasn't feeling it. Nitro Man was a really cool Robot Master though.

So my final order of games goes something like this:

3, 2, 9, 6/5, 10/4, 7/8

I grouped those last 3 rankings together since I really had no preference to individual titles after the top 3 - except that I really really didn't like 7/8. They were fundamentally average games, but as Mega Man games they felt off. I did like MM8's graphics though. And that intro....oh baby!

ah man 7 and 8 are awesome. I never could stick with Megaman Bass though. For some reason, I always drop it after I beat a few bosses and ive been trying for like 15 years.

Megaman 9 and 10 were pretty good but eh...

Ive been thinking about burning through Wily Wars on Genesis, since its one of the few OG MM platformers I haven't finished. That MM & Bass, the Gameboy MM2 MM3 MM4 and the GameGear Megaman I guess.

Its kinda hard iirc

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My favorite Megaman is 2 but that's 'cause I started there back when I was a kid. I love the 1st 4 the most, I like 5 and 6 though just not as much. 7&8 are both equally fun but not up to the fun of the NES games, 9 is fantastic, prolly right up there with 1-4 NES. 10 I haven't gotten too far 'cause I loose interest...should commit though, the game isn't bad.

Megaman & Bass series is awesome, I got the Wonderswan, Superfami and GBA, they are all fun, that was a godsend for GBA.

I wanna join in the fun but I can't stick to deadlines for squat, I can get a good run but I'm a slow learner when it comes to platformers. Very excited though, the "Megathon" was my thing to do way back in '95 with a good friend of mine, we would beat it taking turns and then move unto the next at either of our set ups. I remember 2 so well that I beat it in one sitting, he did the same with 3, those are the bread and butter for everyone I think. 4 is great though, I like it a lot...1 is always the wall, always the one I need to work on which is great 'cause that's were I should start.

Megaman 9 is an amazing game and I wish that team would comeback and keep going...all the way to 20!