Metal Slug 6 is actually pretty good.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Yeah. I've been bashing the latest Metal Slug's here for a while now, mainly because they always felt exactly the same to me. It's the same shit every game, same engine, same identical characters, same overreliance on memorizing the game to avoid cheap deaths, etc. But when I read that one of the nickel arcades here got it, I decided to go check it out (well, that and I wanted to play some 20-cent House of the Dead 4).

And from what I've played of it, I did enjoy it! :) It definitely has a lot of new stuff to offer that made it rather refreshing to play. I've been saying all along that the characters needed to be differentiated in terms of gameplay... selecting a character was so pointless when they had exactly the same attributes (minus MS4 where the new characters don't get as many points from melee attacks, right?). The way the characters have different strengths and weaknesses is something that should have been implemented back with MS2, but hey better late than never? Ralf is great for learning the game since you can take two hits before you die, except in certain cirumstances like those flying aliens in Stage 3. The "Rush Blaster" multiplier system is fairly interesting, although it's yet another thing you'll have to memorize in every level if you're playing for score (then again, if you're playing for score then you should be playing Clark).

Difficulty-wise, it's pretty tough. The third boss is currently handing my ass to me, the "wave" of bullets seems to be impossible to dodge unless you're right under it, and I can never tell which attack it's going to do when it stops. Guess it's just another one of those trial-and-error, memorize everything if you want to do good at the game deals. Is the game good enough for me to want to try to clear it on one credit? I'm not sure yet. It's without a doubt better than 4 and 5 for sure, I'd say I enjoyed it more than 3 but I'm sure many would disagree with me on that, so take that as you will.

I am a bit disappointed that Ralf doesn't do his "OOOOOO NANANANANANA" when you do a Vulcan Punch too :crying: but at least his D button melee attack is a faster version of his Galactica Phantom, I chuckled when I saw that. The score "graph" on the high score screen is kinda interesting too, can't think of another game that keeps a tally like that of how players score (well there's the Golden Axe's, but that's not a graph). Hell, I'm just amazed that they finally managed to change the high score screen! (and yes, it saves 20 scores instead of 10, with separate lists for Easy and Hard modes). Oh, and I didn't think much of the music either, which is a shame since I LOVED Manabu's work on Zed Blade and Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou. He's pretty inconsistent I suppose.

and I guess that's the end of my disjointed rambling. Anyone else playing it? I can barely find any other info here (then again it doesn't help that the Search feature keeps breaking). There are some videos on youtube too if you haven't seen them yet.

edit: oh, I just noticed this thread, haha whoops. well I'll leave that link up there anyway.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Wow, I was just watching some of those videos and i liked it all the way up to where it said "youre great".....THEY CHANGED THE VOICE?!?! and the "mission complete!" voice! and it sounds BAD...

That and the lack of blood are really killing my interest in the game. It also looks like they throw a ton of POWs at you and instead of dropping items they're overusing the coin pickup system (which is very unlike metal slug). I never liked picking up coins in metal slug and not having to do that all the time is one of the things that made the game more unique...you pick up teddy bears and mushrooms and turds instead :P Coins suck.

The music also is pretty uninspired average to lame stuff. Or so it seems like to me. I do like how the level progresses though from the African grassland look to a mine shaft. The new options sound good too.

I just can't believe they changed the completing stage voices :oh_no:

-Segasonicfan

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
segasonicfan said:
Wow, I was just watching some of those videos and i liked it all the way up to where it said "youre great".....THEY CHANGED THE VOICE?!?! and the "mission complete!" voice! and it sounds BAD...

That and the lack of blood are really killing my interest in the game. It also looks like they throw a ton of POWs at you and instead of dropping items they're overusing the coin pickup system (which is very unlike metal slug). I never liked picking up coins in metal slug and not having to do that all the time is one of the things that made the game more unique...you pick up teddy bears and mushrooms and turds instead :P Coins suck.

The music also is pretty uninspired average to lame stuff. Or so it seems like to me. I do like how the level progresses though from the African grassland look to a mine shaft. The new options sound good too.

I just can't believe they changed the completing stage voices :oh_no:

-Segasonicfan

I honestly don't know what to say to this.

The fact that they changed some of the voices is enough to ruin the game for you? Seriously?

There are still plenty of "regular" items to pick up in the game, if picking up turds is very important to your enjoyment of gameplay. The coins generally only appear when you raise the "rush blaster" bar to x16. What is so bad about picking up coins?

Yes, the music does suck, but I've never really been a fan of the music in any of the Metal Slugs, so I wasn't expecting much.

Play the game before passing judgment that it sucks.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I been playing this a lot of late. I have it at home now :) I set it to 1 life and no continues in order to try and improve my game. It's not working very well so far though as I can't pass Stage 2 yet. I should prolly go back to default settings really.

Josh

Banned
J0e Musashi said:
I set it to 1 life and no continues in order to try and improve my game. It's not working very well so far though as I can't pass Stage 2 yet.
That's actually a pretty damn hardcore way of playing! I should try that sometime, good idea.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I may never get to play this unless it's released on an actual console because all the arcades around here are dying.:crying:

(And I can't afford an atomiswave)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
There's no such thing as an arcade here, so the only way I'll be playing it is if a port comes out. From all the video footage I've seen, it looks great to me.

BBH said:
Yes, the music does suck, but I've never really been a fan of the music in any of the Metal Slugs, so I wasn't expecting much.

I always thought the Slugs had some of the best music on the Neo.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
There's no such thing as an arcade here, so the only way I'll be playing it is if a port comes out. From all the video footage I've seen, it looks great to me.

I always thought the Slugs had some of the best music on the Neo.

Me too. Good music to kill hundreds of guys to.:buttrock:

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
After watching some of the videos on youtube, definitely think I will be pre-ordering this (Lik-Sang = free shipping).

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
GeoStigma said:
After watching some of the videos on youtube, definitely think I will be pre-ordering this (Lik-Sang = free shipping).

Pre-ordering it for what?

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Weevus said:
Damn, that's coming out soon too! Fuck Sony, they could just release it as a budget title and make some money off of it. Just one more reason I need to get a JP PS2.:oh_no:

If you have a PS2 slim they're easy to do a fliptop mod for (regular size PS2 is basically the same as well). I get my mod stuff from these guys, they're typically the cheapest: http://www.thegiantstore.com/ Its alot cheaper then buying a slim PS2 from Lik-Sang, NCSX or other importers.

The only thing you need to watch out for is when taking off the PS2 slim tray, a black spring goes flying out (pops the PS2 slim lid up and down). Most mod directions forget to mention that.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
buster_broon said:
i will see your lik-sang and raise you:

yes-asia

with free shipping

Damn, only $42 though them, thanks!

Update: I just noticed that the availability date on 9/14 while Lik-Sang's is 7/27. Hmm... :conf:

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Looks like I'll check that one out. Actually, there's a few Metal Slug tunes that stuck in my heart, though. Even the typical mission complete music is just something that I plainly expect to hear just like a Final Fantasy fan wants to hear that famous victory trumpetting music when a battle is over.

However, music-wise, I absolutely loved the soundtrack for Metal Slug 4 and 5; but then again, I'm a big fan of all of Studio Aqua's work. They know how to parody just about every style made famous in japan, and they just turn out great studio work. Needless to say, I'm interested in this next 2D Metal Slug. I've played the 3D one, but I don't really like it that much (nor did I expect to like it much). It makes some of the same mistakes a lot of 2D->3D games made. Complicate the mess with 3D controls and environments to completely lose out on the pick-up-n-play aspect that is crucial for a great Metal Slug game.

I'm behind them trying to do what they need to stay in business, but they need to take an approach that appeases the new crowd while allowing them to do what they do best.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
gmtkr said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! :conf:
3d metal slug = PURE CRAP!! :angry::angry:
*points to Thread title*

Metal Slug 6 => Atomiswave (2D)
09hp3.jpg

Metal Slug 3D => PS2 (3D)
24pr2.jpg

And MS3D is playable, just get the elitism out of your head and you are done

SSS

neo retired
recon_zero said:
And MS3D is playable, just get the elitism out of your head and you are done

but why would you want to? as soon as you get over the novelty of MS characters being in 3d it's a bare bones piece of crap.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
BBH said:
but at least his D button melee attack is a faster version of his Galactica Phantom, I chuckled when I saw that.

That in itself is an interesting development.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
but why would you want to? as soon as you get over the novelty of MS characters being in 3d it's a bare bones piece of crap.

I'm with you. It looks like a disgrace. However, MS6 looks worthy.

TWE

Zero's Secretary
Played a couple credits of this when I was in Japan a few months ago and it was pretty good. I've preordered the PS2 version, so fingers crossed it's an accurate port.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Thanks for the link to yes asia Buster. Play-Asia had the game for $65 PLUS $5 shipping for $70 compared to $45 at yes asia. Has anyone dealt with yes asia a lot (opinions and such)?