Metal Slug 7 - DS (combined thread)

I seem to remember hearing in an interview early last year that MS6 would be the last arcade Slug. Guess this means the series isn't dead/confined to an eternity as pachinko/pachislot games. Though I wonder how it'll make use of the Stylus (if at all, given SNKP's history of adopting current technology late in the game and hardly pushing the hardware's capabilities at that). I also wonder if the DS is the right platform to have it on. (I'm thinking it might do better as a direct download on the Wii/PS3/X-Box 360, but what do I know?)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If SNKP were smart and had the resources to do so, they'd redo Metal Slug in high res like they're supposedly doing with KOF XII and release it as an arcade title.

Either than or make another 3D one but actually put some real effort into it. Perhaps they could talk with Insomniac and get some tips on how a real 3D "blow it all up" cartoony shooter should be done.

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Hell, I'd be happy with something done in the fashion of the Mega Man X remake on PSP. That whole 3D look to the game, but still classic sidescrolling action.

kirax7

Cheng's Errand Boy
insaneben said:
I seem to remember hearing in an interview early last year that MS6 would be the last arcade Slug. Guess this means the series isn't dead/confined to an eternity as pachinko/pachislot games. Though I wonder how it'll make use of the Stylus (if at all, given SNKP's history of adopting current technology late in the game and hardly pushing the hardware's capabilities at that). I also wonder if the DS is the right platform to have it on. (I'm thinking it might do better as a direct download on the Wii/PS3/X-Box 360, but what do I know?)

You mean games actually use the touch-screen? I own 9 DS games and none of them require much use if at all... even 1st party games such as Poke'mon.

jonajacket

n00b
Neoray said:
why not comeout with sequels that started the neo-geo craze like a magician lord 2, nam-1975 2, super spy 2, 2020 super baseball 2, cyber-lip 2, ninja combat 2, shoot I would love to see a sequel to those games badly.

Agreed, especially Nam and Cyber Lip!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
bg's are uninspiring to say the least

playmore really has shit all over snks name

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Well, at least it can't be as bad as MS2

Ukyo

20 Year Member
god, i cant believe the shit ms2 gets; all you slug X fuckers can fuck off. ms2 is how the game was supposed to look [who gives a shit about the slowdown]. all the color swaps and boss changes in X are lame as hell. X is a fucking hacked up bastard child.

Rade K

20 Year Member
I meant it as a joke directed at Kernow, but if you want to spaz out about it...

kirax7

Cheng's Errand Boy
Metal Slug 7 Hands-On

MS7DS.jpg

Only announced a few days ago, Metal Slug 7 is tucked away in a quiet corner of SNK's booth. Which is tucked away in a quiet corner of TGS. Which is a pity. Because it's everything you'd expect of Metal Slug on the DS. As in, it's great. Same old Metal Slug, same old controls, except now the bottom screen is devoted to a "map" of the current level, which is revealed as you progress. Can't think of why exactly it does that, but I guess it looks nice, and I they had to put something down there.

Source: http://kotaku.com/gaming/tgs07/metal-slug-7-hands+on-impressions-301764.php

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Man, I really hope this will be reworked to use both screens. I wouldn't mind seeing planes and such attacking from the top screen or whatever, and having a two screen layout on vertical stages. It worked well on Sonic Rush, why not Metal Slug?

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
OK...we now have Slug 7, 07 Commando and Contra IV coming out for the DS.

Chances are that at least ONE of these games will be good.

Run n' gun lives! Never thought it would've seen it's rebirth on the DS, though.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Played the 'demo' at the game show yesterday.

Kind of half a level where you just start out of nowhere, then get to jump in a slug, then gun down a few goons for a couple of minutes.

Pros:

Looks and feels fine on the DS.

Cons:

No idea what this demo was, but same characters, same enemies, same slug, same enemies tanks. Literally the only thing new there was the background, and that was some totally non-descript wall or something. YAWN.

Summary:

If you want Slug on the go, get the PSP compilation.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Ukyo said:
god, i cant believe the shit ms2 gets; all you slug X fuckers can fuck off. ms2 is how the game was supposed to look [who gives a shit about the slowdown]. all the color swaps and boss changes in X are lame as hell. X is a fucking hacked up bastard child.

exactly
exactly
exactly

I could not have said it better.

Rade K

20 Year Member
kernow said:
exactly
exactly
exactly

I could not have said it better.

Shut up.

MS2 is a failure. If one more person bags on MS2 just to look cool and different, I'm going to puke. Some people like to act as if some other company altogether made MSX - sorry kids, its the same game, but now more playable.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I wouldn't call losing a heavy machine gun to a drop shot more playable. That damn weapon only exists to dick you over.

kirax7

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rade said:
Shut up.

MS2 is a failure. If one more person bags on MS2 just to look cool and different, I'm going to puke. Some people like to act as if some other company altogether made MSX - sorry kids, its the same game, but now more playable.

I enjoyed MSX the most besides MS3 (Zombies! :D)

Rade K

20 Year Member
FairlanePhantom said:
I wouldn't call losing a heavy machine gun to a drop shot more playable. That damn weapon only exists to dick you over.

5 frames per second.