Metal Slug X graphical glitches in Super MVS Converter

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Has anyone seen this particular type of graphical glitch when running MSX MVS in the Super MVS Converter?

Those vertical line glitches are present whenever there is animation. As you can see at the end of the video they go away when the screen is just the logo with no movement.

This is running on a very low serial JPN AES (serial 13793), +5V AC Adapter, UniBios 3.0, Super MVS Converter with the blue LED.

I have no other MVS games currently. The system runs AES games flawlessly.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I honestly never tried MSX while i had a SMVSII but i can account for it running perfect via Phantom-1. Have you tried adjusting the normally-useless POT?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Try adjusting the pot, sometimes it does work.

Last edited:

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I saw something similar to that when I moved the little pot on the front of the converter....
Its very sensitive and took me a while to adjust it back to the proper adjustment...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does it also happen during gameplay?

Make sure you clean the slot in the converter, AES and the game's connector as well. You can try adjusting the pot like they said, it work sometimes but not often.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Yeah it happens in gameplay too. It's much more subtle in gameplay though. I played through to level 5 without any other problems so this seems to be my only issue.

I cleaned the cart and converter's contacts. Other people have told me theses kinds of glitches aren't typically what you see if a cart is dirty.

I have adjusted the pot, but I'm going to go back and try it again, this time very subtly adjusting it. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for the help all

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Sorry guys, turns out this was a bit of a false alarm.

I got the converter used so it didn't come with the screwdriver. I thought I had turned the pot all the way, but after finding something that really works to turn it I realized I hadn't. Turned all the way to the left MSX now runs perfectly. Woot!

AtariBorn

New Challenger
That's insane. I never could get my AES to play MSX. Too high of a serial number I guess. That's not the crazy part...that's the exact same glitch I get in either of my cabs with that game. I have to slightly pull the cart up a bit from the slot to fix it.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
That's insane. I never could get my AES to play MSX. Too high of a serial number I guess. That's not the crazy part...that's the exact same glitch I get in either of my cabs with that game. I have to slightly pull the cart up a bit from the slot to fix it.
If that happens only with that cart it might be that the video chips have broken solder blobs on the pin to board connection! look for MVS Cart Fix on JNX tutorials
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html
hope it helps!