Metroid Dread announced!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
!!!!!!!

Finally revived after all these years! The sequel to Metroid Fusion is finally here!

“Samus’ story continues after the events of the Metroid™ Fusion game when she descends upon planet ZDR to investigate a mysterious transmission sent to the Galactic Federation. The remote planet has become overrun by vicious alien lifeforms and chilling mechanical menaces. Samus is more agile and capable than ever, but can she overcome the inhuman threat stalking the depths of ZDR?

Face Off Against Unrelenting E.M.M.I. Robots

Once DNA-extracting research machines, the imposing E.M.M.I. are now hunting Samus down. Tensions are high as you evade these E.M.M.I. to avoid a cruel death while finding a way to take them down. Find out what turned these robotic wonders into the scourge of ZDR and escape with your life.

Feel Samus’ Power Grow as You Gain Maneuvers and Abilities

Acquire new and familiar abilities as you traverse the many environments of this dangerous world. Parkour over obstacles, slide through tight spaces, counter enemies, and battle your way through the planet. Return to areas and use your new abilities to find upgrades, alternate paths, and a way forward. Explore the sprawling map, evade and destroy E.M.M.I. robots, and overcome the dread plaguing ZDR.”

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Kinda looks like a 3DS game. It would be ideal if R&D1 or at least someone in Japan were developing it, but it looks like MercurySteam is handling it. Bummer. If it's good, I'll get it, but I don't have high hopes.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yeah my hype went from 10 to 5 when I saw they were the developer.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
So stoked. Don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. The melee dash and slide look like great additions to Samus' abilities that could totally change the feel of the game. Absolutely can't wait to play this.

Edit: Samus Returns was dope. Did those bashing it actually play it?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
So stoked. Don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. The melee dash and slide look like great additions to Samus' abilities that could totally change the feel of the game. Absolutely can't wait to play this.

I’m with you Ajax. I absolutely loved Samus Returns. Admittedly, I greatly prefer 2D Metroid over the 3D entries in general, but I really enjoyed the combat/counter mechanic emphasis along with the more aggressive enemies in the 3DS entry.

I’m excited for Prime 4 as well, but I am extremely happy to see the 2D Metroid entries continue alongside the Prime series.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member

AM2R > Samus Returns

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think it looks good. Reception so far seems mixed. The animation of the robot looks freakin' cool. I dunno, I just like most Metroid games (not all).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Looks fantastic and the new melee counter dash is a great improvement on the counter mechanic from SR. The added slide and her additional movement options look awesome too. Samus looks like she’s is a lot more fluid and nimble in this title.

Omega Blaster at 06:12 looks like a cool weapon as well.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Looks great! I haven’t played the remake of Samus Returns, but I played every other Metroid game and enjoyed them all - even Other M.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The graphics don't have the "Metroid" feel. Something is off, not feeling it.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ive only really played Super, Fusion and Zero mission. Seeing as this is a direct sequel to fusion which I concider the best, im probably looking forward to it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I was surprised this game was resurrected,metroid dread was suppose come out decades ago.I guess mercurystream work on samus return was enough for them to get the go ahead for a sequel to fusion.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I know people are excited to see this finally advance the Metroid storyline, but there are literally dozens and dozens of A+ Metroidvania's now. I struggle to see how this is going to surpass those unless it has a $20 price point.

Visually, I'd rather play a pixel metroidvania clone than this 2.5D nonsense.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Looks pretty sweet! I hate when I shoot robots in the face with beams and missiles and they just stand there, unimpressed, and totally not sell it. Makes me want to dye my hair green and adopt wall bouncing space monkeys.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I know people are excited to see this push the Metroid storyline, but there are literally dozens and dozens of A+ Metroidvania's now. I struggle to see how this is going to surpass those unless it has a $20 price point.

Visually, I'd rather play a pixel metroidvania clone than this 2.5D nonsense.
Totally. Too many great Metroivanias to count.

Dread looks very plastic but dull at the same time.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The graphics don't have the "Metroid" feel. Something is off, not feeling it.
The enemy design doesn't look Metroid at all. They don't look like fully developed ideas, either.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Looks like if PN03 kind of.

If you took Samus out of it you wouldn't even know it was Metroid.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
There are so many good metroidvania games out, what's the point of playing this one? The fact that they kinda made the genre is the point. If it comes out and sucks, then yeah, that's one thing. But remember that time that there was no possible way that a 3D, first person Metroid game could be good, and then Metroid Prime slayed us all? Give the fuckin' game a chance to come out before you crucify it loool.

As for it not looking like a Metroid game - If you took Link out of Breath of the Wild, it could be an entry in any number of game series. What are you all basing all of this on? 20 seconds of gameplay footage?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm not attacking the gameplay it just looks generic. If you take Link out of Zelda you get a really solid adventure game that feels like a Zelda clone.

Metroid 2, Super and the GBA games all have an aesthetic and vibe that this doesn't seem to have based on the trailer. Which should be a snapshot of the games strengths.

The Metroid Prime games were good but I don't consider them in the same class as the 2D ones. Mainly a very well made branch of the series.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Agreed on all that.

And for the record, I've liked all 2D Metroid games I've played (which is all of them), Prime 1, and TBH I thought Other M was great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wouldn't get too excited yet. MercurySteam has yet to make a good game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So Hyped. And the fact that they used the Dread title teased all the way back in Prime 1 is beyond dope.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm always OK for a new Metroid. But in all honesty, I only care for Prime 4. The main reason I bought a Switch and there seems no way that game's getting released :/