Metroid or Metroidvania?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I never liked the Metroid games. The only one I came close to liking was II on the Game Boy. Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't like Metroid.

However, I really like the Castleroid/Metroidvania games, aside from Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

Well, and how about you? Saturday night thread right here. Kill me Bobak.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sup LS. Preferences in music, setting, and graphics aside: My vote is for Metroid (the 2d games in particular) all day everyday. I love all games in the non-Prime 2d series and Metroid II was also one of my preferred Metroid games due to the enemies being more aggressive on average (thanks to the introduction of the constant Metroid life-cycle boss battles) in that title rather than passively patrolling their set/targeting routes like Metroid 1 or Super Metroid.

Since Metroid lacks the rpg mechanics used in Castlevania:SotN and the other metroidvania Castevania titles, that just leaves the 2d Metroid games with maze running and route discovery at their core with boss battles breaking up the exploration. Thanks to the ability to level up, use items, and use magic, the metroidvania castlevania games tend to feel easier as players progress through the game. It can be fun to one-shot enemies when backtracking through areas where the enemies previously took many hits and a strategic approach to take down, but the lessening challenge outside of the boss battles gets to me sometimes. I enjoy this difference in approach between the two series but it makes sense that not everyone loves both series.

With that said, I just can’t get into any of the modern day metroidvania clones that indie studios keep releasing. Something always feels off to me about them like the control responsiveness, hit detection, etc. They aren’t bad games but none of them have captured me in the way that Metroid and Castlevania have. This hasn’t stopped me from trying them out and giving them a chance though. The only non-castlevania metroidvania-style game that became one of my favorites is Oboro Muramasa from Vanillaware. The exploration and rpg mechanics coupled with fast-paced combat made that game something truly special imho.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was much like you, growing up never understood what the fuss was about, Metroid looked as fun as a kick in the head.
Then about 10 years ago I got Super Metroid and I thought, alright let's play a bit of this, but without much enthusiasm.
I was blown away. Graphically very subtle, making excellent use of the hardware. The atmosphere is perfectly conveyed, the sense that you are going ever deeper into the earth where the critters thrive. The balance and learning curve is brilliantly realized. I feel today that it was the most exceptional game that came out for the SNES.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Super Metroid has gotta be in my top 3 favorite games of all time. I’m a sucker for anything in this style. I was playing Monster Boy on PS4 last night, In fact.

Momodoro, a metroidvania game on steam (particularly the 3rd one) is fantastic if anyone’s looking for something new in this style.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't play alot of games these days, but when I get the itch super metroid always satisfies. The movement in that game is so satisfying and there are so many little tricks to learn and master. Other metroid games don't really do it for me and I prefer castlevania 1 and 2 over the others.

When it comes to modern games in that style I really dig the rogue lite style metroidvanias. Dead cells is the best of the bunch imo.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission are both phenomenal. I think Zero Mission is my favorite these days, but that's only because I've beaten Super Metroid more times than I can keep track.

I haven't played that 3ds ver yet, but Metroid II for the GB was good too. I want to play that AMR Metroid II remake. Anyone fuck with that?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I don't play alot of games these days, but when I get the itch super metroid always satisfies. The movement in that game is so satisfying and there are so many little tricks to learn and master. Other metroid games don't really do it for me and I prefer castlevania 1 and 2 over the others.

When it comes to modern games in that style I really dig the rogue lite style metroidvanias. Dead cells is the best of the bunch imo.

Thanks for reminding me! I was meaning to check out dead cells. I saw a friend playing the beta a year ago and it looked great.

The thing I love about super metroid is the ambience, and the narrative it brings without using words. Details like how her mask starts blinking in dark rooms or kicking up water in wet areas still impresses me. And breaking the glass tunnel with a super bomb in one of the most amazing moments in gaming. The game is darn near perfect. I just wish it was longer.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
in spite of my age, missed out on the early metroid series, it was metroid prime and echoes for ngc that directed me toward the prior games.
fantastic set, if corruption lacks pad controls. :D

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I never liked the Metroid games. The only one I came close to liking was II on the Game Boy. Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't like Metroid.

Exactly the same.

Sounds like I should give Super Metroid a try.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I never liked the Metroid games.

Metroid is a study of solitude. Cold unknown planets, spaces with whirring technologized machines or mute aliens as their sole inhabitants... it's almost autistic, a very Japanese concept. To disappear within yourself, to grow impenetrable walls behind which life grows, and beneath it all, the feeling that you are far away, safe and alone. That is ultimately, what Metroid demands form its players: oblivion. Seeking loneliness, disregarding social interaction and communication isn't exactly popular, that's why this game isn't either. Metroid just isn't likable, and that is the key to its attraction.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Metroid is a study of solitude. Cold unknown planets, spaces with whirring technologized machines or mute aliens as their sole inhabitants... it's almost autistic, a very Japanese concept. To disappear within yourself, to grow impenetrable walls behind which life grows, and beneath it all, the feeling that you are far away, safe and alone. That is ultimately, what Metroid demands form its players: oblivion. Seeking loneliness, disregarding social interaction and communication isn't exactly popular, that's why this game isn't either. Metroid just isn't likable, and that is the key to its attraction.

giphy.gif

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

You're awesome OC. A ton of depth go's into most of your posts. You just made me want to play some Metroid.

Sometimes I feel like you post in riddles though but it's a ton of fun to read, Love you Man.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
thanks for that oliver, next time i play a game, i'll remember i'm at school getting schooled.
there was something about the series, and you nailed it.
think i've developed a hatred for the series now...
i seek oblivion of belief in games, not a harsh dose of reality, i get that for free every waking moment. :(

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

Very dramatic and philosophical description of what is in essence a simple 2d platform/adventure videogame with a scifi theme. This is a perfect example of nostalgia clouding fact. I love super metroid but let's not kid ourselves into believing that the topics (solitude, oblivion) you mention were ever part of the design document.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Very dramatic and philosophical description of what is in essence a simple 2d platform/adventure videogame with a scifi theme. This is a perfect example of nostalgia clouding fact. I love super metroid but let's not kid ourselves into believing that the topics (solitude, oblivion) you mention were ever part of the design document.

I don't know what to say about this.

Let's look at some highlights of the game:

-Epic music (like in a real epic way, not the way saner uses it)

-Silence to build tension. One of the most understated elements of the game is the actual absence of music. This is where the solitude element comes into play. Samus is alone in creepy ass places.

-Motherhood, game is a continuation of Metroid II where Samus and a metroid develop a bond.

The game is well produced and thought out. I feel writing it off as a "simple 2d platform/adventure videogame" is petty and I'm going to assume you were being a troll.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Shut up you dumb cunt

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't know what to say about this.

Let's look at some highlights of the game:

-Epic music (like in a real epic way, not the way saner uses it)

-Silence to build tension. One of the most understated elements of the game is the actual absence of music. This is where the solitude element comes into play. Samus is alone in creepy ass places.

-Motherhood, game is a continuation of Metroid II where Samus and a metroid develop a bond.

The game is well produced and thought out. I feel writing it off as a "simple 2d platform/adventure videogame" is petty and I'm going to assume you were being a troll.

No he was being Gaston, the village idiot

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Shut up you dumb cunt

The truth hurts doesn't it bitch.
Fact is the game was made with the teen demographic in mind. And because it blew your mind back when you were 14 or whatever doesn't make it a very deep and philosophic experience. On that note, eat a bowl of dick.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I love super metroid but let's not kid ourselves into believing that the topics (solitude, oblivion) you mention were ever part of the design document.

The truth hurts doesn't it bitch

I actually don't think this is the truth. I think a lot of games/game designers have grand overarching design concepts/statements that never get fully realized due to numerous reasons (lack of time, funding, commitment, talent, scope, etc.) and end up falling far short.

The fact that Super Metroid does conceptually meet the aspirations of a (posited) grand design document makes it all the more special.

I fired the game up last night on my Everdrive due to this thread with these ideas in mind and maybe I am reading back into the game but it was great to see them realized even in the short amount of time I spent with it (two hours, approx.)

Last edited: