MGS: Peace Walker demo up on IGN

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Motherfucking download!

Here's a link from NeoGAF for those who have CFW and want to play it (like me). It fired up okay for me, so now I just need to figure out the menus and go through the first part of the demo. Woo!

Edit: Just got done with the opening mission. So far, so good. This game looks really good; almost to the level of MGS3. The controls are surprisingly simple:

Analog Stick - Move Snake

D-Pad Down - Toggle between kneel and stand, hold to lie down (but not to crawl?)
D-Pad Up - Multi-Use Action Button. Stealth button for hugging walls.
D-Pad Right - Choose Weapon (use Square/Circle to choose)
D-Pad Left - Choose Item (use Square/Circle to choose)

Button Pad (Triangle, Square, Circle, X) - Camera
Right Trigger - Attack with CQC
Left Trigger - Attack with Weapon (use Right Trigger to shoot after aiming)

Select - Toggle Auto-Aim
Start - Toggle Utilities, such as Map, Comm, etc.

Overall, it feels pretty good and is easier to manage that MPO's control scheme. It feels a lot like MGS4, so that's a big bonus. The other missions after that support more players, so I need to get some people that I know hooked up with this so I can give those a shot.

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Those controls sound terrible.

Why would they use the shoulder buttons for attacks? Why is the D-Pad used for crouching instead of X.

You'd need three hands to use that bull crap efficiently.

Did they at least get rid of the horrible free camera that made PO so terrible?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
WHY is this on PSP? :blow_top:

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
Those controls sound terrible.

Why would they use the shoulder buttons for attacks? Why is the D-Pad used for crouching instead of X.

You'd need three hands to use that bull crap efficiently.

Did they at least get rid of the horrible free camera that made PO so terrible?

It works out, actually. I manage to move my thumb between the d-pad and analog nub pretty easily for things. And havng everything on the shoulder buttons for attacking is very smooth.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The control scheme works quite well, actually. Using the face buttons for camera control takes a bit of getting used to, but it's otherwise quite smooth. It has a lot of the control amenities found in MGS4, and a few useful new things (rapid group takedowns, for instance).

Also, this game looks phenomenal.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
fuck me... i have an OLD cfw on my phat psp... fuckers...

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Motherfucking download!

Here's a link from NeoGAF for those who have CFW and want to play it (like me). It fired up okay for me, so now I just need to figure out the menus and go through the first part of the demo. Woo!

Edit: Just got done with the opening mission. So far, so good. This game looks really good; almost to the level of MGS3. The controls are surprisingly simple:

Overall, it feels pretty good and is easier to manage that MPO's control scheme. It feels a lot like MGS4, so that's a big bonus. The other missions after that support more players, so I need to get some people that I know hooked up with this so I can give those a shot.

Thanks.

I went to the Tokyo Game Show today, and took my PSP along with me so that I could download this demo at the show. You know what? Konami wanted us (my friend and I) to queue up for 90 minutes just to download it!!!??

I fully expected them to have it on some wireless network or whatever so that everyone could easily grab it while they were there, but no. Instead, Konami wanted you to queue up for some uknown service of some kind, just to drop 150MB on your PSP. What a joke.

I mean, we queued for 40 minutes just to play 3 minutes of Gran Turismo 5, yet Konami wanted 90 minutes just to download a tiny demo????

So I came home, just downloaded it from IGN, unzipped it, and dropped it on my PSP in less than 5 minutes.

Way to go Konami, you morons.

Still, looking forward to firing up the demo before I hit the sack tonight.

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
Thanks.

I went to the Tokyo Game Show today, and took my PSP along with me so that I could download this demo at the show. You know what? Konami wanted us (my friend and I) to queue up for 90 minutes just to download it!!!??

I fully expected them to have it on some wireless network or whatever so that everyone could easily grab it while they were there, but no. Instead, Konami wanted you to queue up for some uknown service of some kind, just to drop 150MB on your PSP. What a joke.

I mean, we queued for 40 minutes just to play 3 minutes of Gran Turismo 5, yet Konami wanted 90 minutes just to download a tiny demo????

So I came home, just downloaded it from IGN, unzipped it, and dropped it on my PSP in less than 5 minutes.

Way to go Konami, you morons.

Still, looking forward to firing up the demo before I hit the sack tonight.

Oh, Konami. You just love to do things the hard way for no reason.

hanafuda

Finally beat it.

Best demo I have played for a long time.

Gonna try out co-op mode tonight.

hanafuda

Just been playing 4P online coop via the PS3 and Ad Hoc Party.

Totally bad ass!

Sneak in!

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
I really hope Ad-Hoc Party makes its way over here.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Yes I hope so too. But the demo for Peace walker was really good and really big file size and lots of replayability

hanafuda

Yeah, that AHP is really good. First time I have used it. Going to try Gran Turismo PSP over it tonight.

BTW, nailed the tank section without blowing it up for the first time today.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Holy shit, this is an impressive demo. Like everyone says, the controls are a bit weird, but surprisingly good. Overall I prefer them to Metal Gear: Portable Ops.

I can't figure out how to exit the first area, though.... What can I say, my Japanese is a bit rusty. :emb:

hanafuda

You mean the beach section?

Lob a grenade at the door in the wire fence at the other side from where you start.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Man, this demo is really great, like I said before.

Haven't figured out how to beat the tank though. Miller seems to be chiming in with all kinds of advice, but sadly, I do not understand him.

hanafuda

You can either blow up the tank or take out all the guys. Best to choose an equipment set that suits the method before you start the mission.

I love Fultoning dudes away. So cool.

BIG

sony fanboy
will this demo work on the GO?
i don't want to give up 5.00 m33 but i do want to play this bitch something FIERCE.

Last edited:

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
will this demo work on the GO?
i don't want to give up 5.00 m33 but i do want to play this bitch something FIERCE.

Should work just fine on the GO, since you'd be running the right official firmware on it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
OK, updated from 3.52 m33 to 5.50 genb2....

This games is gonna be fucking AMAZING!!!!!!

Two questions, tho:

1) arent there unlockable wallpapers? where would the game put them after you unlock them?

2) bit of a tech question, but... is the 5.50 custom firmware blocked by sony? i first upgraded to gen-a and could acces the PSN store, but after i upgraded to gen-b i get a connection error... any thoughts?