Microsoft buying Activision blizzard for 68.7 billion

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And the funny part is all the e-sports games blizzard make are completely irrelevant at this point.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I just asked Alexia the other day when Elder Scrolls 6 is coming out, she said early 2024.
So two years. WTF. I think they released trailers of it four years ago
It's been 10 years since Skyrim came out.

Anyways coming in first are Redfield, Fable 4 and The Outer Worlds 2.
Outer Worlds just came out a couple years ago and they've made dlc for it in the last year.
I can totally wait on that. I still have side quests to play and haven't even bought the expansion packs yet.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
What game of note has Rare made since the N64 days?

I know the new KI had some fans but meh.

As mentioned, Rare had nothing to do with the new KI.

They made Sea of Thieves though which, while kinda crap at launch, has really turned it around and has become very successful. I have a bunch of friends who play it the way other people play MMOs/Destiny.

Other than that though? Fuck all.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Whenever I think of Blizzard all I can think of is how they bent over for China when any player said something about Hong Kong. Fuck Blizzard.
You have to remember Sage, Blizzard makes a boatload of money thru Ten-Cent in China. They don't want to risk offending that cash cow.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What game of note has Rare made since the N64 days?

I know the new KI had some fans but meh.

After being acquired by Microsoft in 2002, the only real game of note was Viva Pinata which did well critically, but not great commercially. Some say it was in part because Microsoft dumped all of its marketing money into Gears of War.

Rare did deveop some decent handheld games for Nintendo products after the merger (since Microsoft wasn't in handhelds).

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And how the hell does candy crush make money?

I played that crud nonstop for like 3 months and never spent a dime.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You have to remember Sage, Blizzard makes a boatload of money thru Ten-Cent in China. They don't want to risk offending that cash cow.

Speaking of Tencent, many people have said this was a pre-emptive strike to prevent Tencent buying them.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
I think the9 ltd had rights to wow in China in the 2000’s they lost it to neteast in 2010/12 then along the way Tencent probably scoop up the deal, Tencent is basiclly Facebook without any restrictions and full government support/protection ( before the recent crackdown) as they are practically used as a monitoring system for ccp , just imagine android and Apple fully cooperate with the us government but still maintance a image as a people first company .

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think the9 ltd had rights to wow in China in the 2000’s they lost it to neteast in 2010/12 then along the way Tencent probably scoop up the deal, Tencent is basiclly Facebook without any restrictions and full government support/protection ( before the recent crackdown) as they are practically used as a monitoring system for ccp , just imagine android and Apple fully cooperate with the us government but still maintance a image as a people first company .
US tech companies are just as entwined with the government. The difference is they exert control over the government instead of the other way round.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It seems crazy to think that Call of Duty is more valuable than Star Wars and Marvel combined.
More valuable than they were when they were sold.

Just the MCU films did over 25 billion at the box office.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The amount of money that gets handed over in deals like that is just bizarre.

Doesn't really help to keep up diversity, eh.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I guess 'big news' means different things to different people. I saw this news on my feed yesterday and "huh, well what do you know?" was the gist of my reaction as I promptly moved to the next article.
Now when I saw an article informing me that Gleylancer was coming to Switch in October for $7, I was like "STOP THE PRESSES!".

I stopped by this thread curious to see what people who aren't cardboard cutouts thought of this acquisition. I'm not really sure what the extent of Activison's catalogue is anymore - I've boycotted buying games from them since the PS3/XB360 era - and I couldn't be bothered to google it, but I am curious about the precedent this sets (and on the heels of the Bethesda purchase) for the industry going forward.

I don't know, perhaps it's fake curiosity when I really think about it. I'm not the audience anymore, and with each passing year, I play less and less of what's 'new'. Based on what my kids' friends play, they all seem to be hooked on Roblox and Fortnite to the exclusion of all else, so maybe it really doesn't matter what this purchase means.

Bah, I've already given this more headspace than I wanted to.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This is true. My brother-in-law used to work for Zynga. He told me some people rack up thousands of dollars a year on some of these dumb games.
The South Park about fremium gaming was really on point about this.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Microsoft now owns the Quest for Glory franchise? I hope the Coles make another title.