Microsoft is really getting on my nerves lately.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
I go into circuit city to get a wired Xbox360 controller so I can use it for my PC to play roms and such, the damn thing is $39.99 for a fucking wired controller. Why the hell is it so expensive? Regular xbox controllers are like 19.99 or 25.00 at the most.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Mincrosoft? Stop buying third world knockoff rom controllers.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
Regular XBox controllers have been around for 4 years.

That's like bitching because the 360 isn't as cheap as the regular Xbox.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
Stinky-Dinkins said:
Regular XBox controllers have been around for 4 years.

That's like bitching because the 360 isn't as cheap as the regular Xbox.

Im bitching because the controller is almost the exact same as the original one. Also when systems are released the controller shouldn't be more than 30$ for a wired version. Ps2 wasn't 40$ GCN wasn't 40$ Xbox wasn't 40$ so why the hell should this be any different?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
iamyagami22 said:
Im bitching because the controller is almost the exact same as the original one. Also when systems are released the controller shouldn't be more than 30$ for a wired version. Ps2 wasn't 40$ GCN wasn't 40$ Xbox wasn't 40$ so why the hell should this be any different?

New controllers have always been expensive at the start of new generations. Remeber when the Wavebird was fucking fifty dollars? Well, Canadian, anyway...

But dude, the 360 controller is close, but is different than the Xbox's. Hence different manufacturing...

That said, I have to agree that they gouge on controllers. Probably a way to make up for losses on the console.

But dude, why are you surprised, let alone annoyed at Microsoft? I find that surprising.

slerch666

updyke,
HeartlessNinny said:
New controllers have always been expensive at the start of new generations. Remeber when the Wavebird was fucking fifty dollars? Well, Canadian, anyway...
It's also not the controller that came with the system. That's like complaining that the NES Advantage was $50 when the regular NES controllers were $15. You're paying for the extra functionality or whatever when you pay a premium price for a premium controller. Buying the "standard" wired 360 controller shouldn't be more than $30, given the price of what the X-box, GCN and PS2 controllers were at launch. MS jacked the price of everything up by $10 this time around and I call bullshit as well.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I got a used 360 wireless controller for 35 at eb with a 10% discount card. So I would guess you could find a wired one for 30.
I would say the controllers are abit expensive. Especially considering that you would need to buy at least two wireless controllers to have four players (there are only two usb ports in the front of the system). So thats 180 plus tax. Then another 15 bucks for a rechargable battery. And then another 20 for the play and charge kit. Total to have 4 players= 215+tax :(

Last edited:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
give them a break, they are gonna lose a ton of fucking money on the systems, they gotta make a profit somehow, cause halo 3 isn't out for a long time. :kekeke:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
slerch666 said:
MS jacked the price of everything up by $10 this time around and I call bullshit as well.

Not if you are losing $126 per console. Don't want to lose billions again now do you?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
DashK said:
give them a break, they are gonna lose a ton of fucking money on the systems, they gotta make a profit somehow, cause halo 3 isn't out for a long time. :kekeke:

Still don't have your 360?

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
Maybe they are losing money, but still they screw over the customers, fuck them I'm not going to buy another microsoft product in my life....KERNOW!

slerch666

updyke,
Mark of the Wolves said:
Not if you are losing $126 per console. Don't want to lose billions again now do you?
If this is really the case, $126 a console, then they shouldn't have split the market either. I mean, seriously, why do they need 2 different versions of their systems? This just adds to the end cost of the system as they have to pay more money to have them configured differently. If they were all the same, assembly costs would go down faster.

And they make that money back by charging more money to licensess, as evidenced by the, also, $10 hike in the cost of 3rd party games.

[Marketing]
M$ figures that if the Xbox controller is 20-$25 ea, the XB360's controller should be double the price; just like the system itself. To them it must be a 'value-added bonus' or something.
[/Marketing]

I swear, companies still think that people are riding high from the late 90's super-salary prosperity when nowadays everybody is trying to save every dime they find on the street. Hell knows I am.

slerch666 said:
And they make that money back by charging more money to licensess, as evidenced by the, also, $10 hike in the cost of 3rd party games.

Was in Target today, and was shocked to find some XB360 games were $60. I'm like, "Holy fuck!" Made me rethink how that $60 <really> gets divided up, and who really loses out when it gets marked down through technology depreciation months down the road to $19.99.

Last edited:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
slerch666 said:
If this is really the case, $126 a console, then they shouldn't have split the market either. I mean, seriously, why do they need 2 different versions of their systems? This just adds to the end cost of the system as they have to pay more money to have them configured differently. If they were all the same, assembly costs would go down faster.

All I know is no one in the gaming division was happy about doing this. And really the only different is packing in extra stuff for the Premium system. THe difference between $300 and $400 theoretically should pay off for people not wanting to pay that much.

They still lost like 2 to 4 billion on the Xbox. Would lose even more this time. Especially since they plan to sell more than 21,000,000 Xbox's.

slerch666

updyke,
Mark of the Wolves said:
They still lost like 2 to 4 billion on the Xbox. Would lose even more this time. Especially since they plan to sell more than 21,000,000 Xbox's.
Economy of scale. Basically the more spare parts MS buys in advance, the lower the cost per unit of said part, thus lower pricing for the end product. Also, the more a part is manufactured, the easier it becomes to manufacture (higher yields and so on). Then after a bit they figure out unneeded pieces of the manufacturing process which also lowers the end price. So them buying all of their parts in advance, all 21,000,00 system's worth, would be a fat lot of change off the individual system cost when tallied up. Of course, they wouldn't work this way as there is no guarantee they'll sell 21 million systems, nor do they likely have the warehouse space to store 21 mil parts of every piece of the 360.

I don't give a rats ass about how much they supposedly lost per X-box. I say supposedly because even though we know they lost money, it's not like MS is exactly open as to how much they lost. Until they tell us, matter of fact, that they lost $.01 to $100+ per system, I'm going to assume they lost the same amount as everyone else, which we know couldn't have been too bad for a company, as if it were, would anyone still be making game systems?

And my point is that yes, they are losing money per system (be it $.01 or $100), but they've got nothing but pure profit coming in from the licensing side. They don't pay the game development costs for the licensed products they allow through. It's the same for Sony/Nintendo. It's where they make the money. In the end they'll make their money.

My point is that over the life of the original X-box, considering how much MS had purchased in terms of raw goods, I call bullshit again on them supposedly losing "billions" on the X-box. If it's a runaway success like we are led to believe (though still unable to overtake the PS2 this time out), then the ratio of games sold vs systems would bring them to profitability. If you are trying to say MS lost money and hasn't made ANY from it's video game division, that's another call to bullshit. MS won't do anything if it doesn't think it'll see lots of green in the end.

MS likely hasn't made money on system sales, yes. They have, however, likely more than made up for those losses.

All arguments aside, I don't think their 360 controller, or most any company's controller, is worth $40. Arcade sticks and niche controllers, like maracas or some shit, sure. Controllers for the regular system shouldn't be more than $30. Hell, honestly they shouldn't be more than $20, but that's just old school talk there.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
slerch666 said:
Economy of scale. Basically the more spare parts MS buys in advance, the lower the cost per unit of said part, thus lower pricing for the end product. Also, the more a part is manufactured, the easier it becomes to manufacture (higher yields and so on). Then after a bit they figure out unneeded pieces of the manufacturing process which also lowers the end price. So them buying all of their parts in advance, all 21,000,00 system's worth, would be a fat lot of change off the individual system cost when tallied up. Of course, they wouldn't work this way as there is no guarantee they'll sell 21 million systems, nor do they likely have the warehouse space to store 21 mil parts of every piece of the 360.

I think I confused you there. I was saying that to date they have sold around 21 million Xbox's and they plan to sell more Xbox 360's than that so they won't exactly be in a good position losing the same amount of money all over again.

I know all about Economies of Scale. However, with the way the video game market it is, I barely thing about it. Unless you're Nintendo it's understood you will be losing money for a while.

I don't give a rats ass about how much they supposedly lost per X-box. I say supposedly because even though we know they lost money, it's not like MS is exactly open as to how much they lost. Until they tell us, matter of fact, that they lost $.01 to $100+ per system, I'm going to assume they lost the same amount as everyone else, which we know couldn't have been too bad for a company, as if it were, would anyone still be making game systems?

And my point is that yes, they are losing money per system (be it $.01 or $100), but they've got nothing but pure profit coming in from the licensing side. They don't pay the game development costs for the licensed products they allow through. It's the same for Sony/Nintendo. It's where they make the money. In the end they'll make their money.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6123299.html
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6117307.html
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2693075.html
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000150060595/

All arguments aside, I don't think their 360 controller, or most any company's controller, is worth $40. Arcade sticks and niche controllers, like maracas or some shit, sure. Controllers for the regular system shouldn't be more than $30. Hell, honestly they shouldn't be more than $20, but that's just old school talk there.

I agree. I need a second control for my PS2 for a long time and I never got one until I found a used one at Rhino Games for $19.99.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Nothing big about that. I guess the one cool thing about it, is you don't have to buy a separate controller for the PC. It's kind of a two for one, deal.

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
Mark of the Wolves said:
So all that is telling us that even with licensing fees, MS hasn't made any money from it's video game division? That's pretty sad, considering there really wasn't any R&D put into developing processors and shit like that, since they went almost entirely off the shelf. Guess that tells me that they did lose a shitload of money on the system itself. That MS would allow that is something I can only drop my jaw at.

I agree. I need a second control for my PS2 for a long time and I never got one until I found a used one at Rhino Games for $19.99.
I don't have any friends, so I don't need extra controllers. I also don't play games too frequently anymore.

Shit I think I have 3 PS2 controllers for some reason. 4 if you include the Anashin Sound controller I bought. 5 if you include the PS2 controller I got with Sakura Taisen V that I'll never use...

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
Kirk Foiden said:
Nothing big about that. I guess the one cool thing about it, is you don't have to buy a separate controller for the PC. It's kind of a two for one, deal.

I could use it for both PC and the 360 except that I don't have a 360 and I don't plan on buying one.