Minneapolis is going to disband the police department

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Can you have a society without police? Hypothetically speaking. What would be required of how humans come together that an arbiter need not exist?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Can you have a society without police? Hypothetically speaking. What would be required of how humans come together that an arbiter need not exist?
The first thing that would have to happen in the United States is that the rest of us who have never wanted to own a gun would have to go get at least a couple. Living in a big city, you'd need to own a shotgun and one handgun, minimum. And there would be an unbelievable run on ammunition nationwide.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Certainly not in this country

Nah I know, not in any place I would say, in this day and age. Maybe in some anomalous communities somewhere.
I'm just wondering what would be required for such a thing to take place, I rake my brain and can't concieve of it, but it ism nterssting to muse over

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Disbanding the police would open the city to forming a new police department, wiping out the previous one. This is favorable in the event that the public doesn’t have confidence in the entire department, such that a new chief, commissioner, etc will not fix the problem.

I think an even greater solution would be to tie legal liability to the pension fund. Nothing would keep a group of people in line and disciplined like their entire future being tied. You would see a lot of internal frontier justice happen in that event. Police killing each other to weed out the shit stains.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think an even greater solution would be to tie legal liability to the pension fund. Nothing would keep a group of people in line and disciplined like their entire future being tied. You would see a lot of internal frontier justice happen in that event. Police killing each other to weed out the shit stains.

This is The Way.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Disbanding the police would open the city to forming a new police department, wiping out the previous one. This is favorable in the event that the public doesn’t have confidence in the entire department, such that a new chief, commissioner, etc will not fix the problem.

100% this. The fact that cities/states have to pay out for crooked cop lawsuits is a load. The union or the pension fund should be bearing those costs, period.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Did Camden NJ's go at this worked out? Haven't seen any studies on the decline of crime or anything since they disbanded their police force in 2013 as mentioned by john Oliver.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
And Pittsburgh police were a joke 20 years ago. Any time they’d see a red they’d flip on their siren and run the light. If they wanted to pull someone over, they could just make up a reason. People stabbed at the O? Police no show. 4:00 am they’d be found at the Dunkin Donuts. No accountability. No respect of the law. If those same cops are now in charge, I can imagine it is worse.

The O closed in April.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Cops caught slashing the tires of random cars, including journalists. Their response:
"State Patrol troopers strategically deflated tires in order to stop behaviors such as vehicles driving dangerously and at high speeds in and around protesters and law enforcement," he told the paper. He added that officers also honed in on vehicles "that contained items used to cause harm during violent protests," such as rocks or concrete, though it's difficult to believe every car at Kmart contained such items.
https://reason.com/2020/06/08/video...oss-minneapolis-during-george-floyd-protests/

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I’d like to see some Stand Your Ground law put in place if they’re going to cut back the ability to respond to calls.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So i've seen people requesting to get rid of police. Who the fuck are people supposed to call in criminal situation?

https://www.theroot.com/cops-are-white-peoples-cousins-1827430495

Getting rid of police is retarded. Maybe they mean de-militarizing police. Or maybe they're retarded.

The idea is that you cannot reform the departments with the current structure. Fire everybody and make them reapply for their jobs. It is exactly what we should do with ICE too.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first thing that would have to happen in the United States is that the rest of us who have never wanted to own a gun would have to go get at least a couple. Living in a big city, you'd need to own a shotgun and one handgun, minimum. And there would be an unbelievable run on ammunition nationwide.

I think you underestimate how much surplus ammunition there is. Or how quickly that would boost the economy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://www.theroot.com/cops-are-white-peoples-cousins-1827430495

The idea is that you cannot reform the departments with the current structure. Fire everybody and make them reapply for their jobs. It is exactly what we should do with ICE too.

why stop there?

The entire federal government should be forced to reapply for their jobs every year. The title of federal employee shouldn't be synonymous with inefficient bureaucrat. And I would extend this to people at DMVs, despite being employees of their states, who should still all be fired, and imprisoned for the sum total of time that they have made customers wait, even it takes multiple lifetimes.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I feel like when I have talked about a hard reset for the country before I got a lot of 'so you would go back to slavery?' kinda replies. Maybe I could get a few more takers these days.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I feel like when I have talked about a hard reset for the country before I got a lot of 'so you would go back to slavery?' kinda replies. Maybe I could get a few more takers these days.

Hard reset, like dissolve the constitution?

Bratwurst

Rugal's Thug

This is one of the best potential solutions in my mind. I absolutely loathed that law enforcement operated with impunity and no immediate repercussions, asset forfeiture especially. Once they seize cash it's impossible to get it back even if after you prove that it was disassociated with criminal activity of any sort.