hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
a gun violence report from the BBC

I expect no slant whatsoever.....

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Ummm... not not really. The only shift is at the debated point...around 2008, where the US goes down and Missouri stays roughly the same.

I wonder what other variables could be involved over the course of a year ( or more since they seem to be lumping a few together) to cause such a statistic to stay about the same as it was?
We do pretty good here in MN even though we have the same % of firearm ownership http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state
20 more people per square mile (''AVERAGED'') in MO though.
aren't most crimes by firearms done by people breaking the law, so if they were going to do it they'd find a gun by any means neccessary (plenty of illegal ''black market'' guns out there- not having those around or doing something about them seems to be pretty good at combating this issue. thats what they said when I was watching Gangland anyhow.) or maybe even resort to another method regardless of how easy a gun was to find? its not like non murderous people go out shooting folks because a gun was within their grasp.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Except the BBC is just reporting findings from a study and not their own research.

GOOOOOOOOoooood....

You believe that.

The greatest illusion will be when the English trick Americans into disarming themselves.

And then The Repossession.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I wonder what other variables could be involved over the course of a year ( or more since they seem to be lumping a few together) to cause such a statistic to stay about the same as it was?
We do pretty good here in MN even though we have the same % of firearm ownership http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state
20 more people per square mile (''AVERAGED'') in MO though.
aren't most crimes by firearms done by people breaking the law, so if they were going to do it they'd find a gun by any means neccessary (plenty of illegal ''black market'' guns out there- not having those around or doing something about them seems to be pretty good at combating this issue. thats what they said when I was watching Gangland anyhow.) or maybe even resort to another method regardless of how easy a gun was to find? its not like non murderous people go out shooting folks because a gun was within their grasp.

The problem is human trash...plain and simple.

Trash of all colors killing each other...for money, for turf, for drugs...and their families blame guns. As if in a perfect world where guns didn't exist, there would be no crime and their kid would still be around.

The blaming of guns still gets me...people do horrible shit with all kinds of items every day and few blame them. I can't remember the last time I saw someone lobbying to get knives banned after their loved on was stabbed to death.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
GOOOOOOOOoooood....

You believe that.

The greatest illusion will be when the English trick Americans into disarming themselves.

And then The Repossession.

Dude
dude
dude

Robo-Revere is already programmed and ready for action.

Nothing to worry about.

The blaming of guns still gets me...people do horrible shit with all kinds of items every day and few blame them. I can't remember the last time I saw someone lobbying to get knives banned after their loved on was stabbed to death.

Shitty people exist with or without guns that is obvious and people who think crime will just vanish are a bit silly.

The initial statistics from the Missouri study would to speculation that firearms make committing crimes easier, and may result in more impulsive criminal activities. It's a more logical point to consider, and then enter a dialogue of how to balance the issue of safety and freedoms.

People will get guns illegally in the same way that people will drive without a licence, but establishing barriers (what is an appropriate barrier is a different debate) could help in subsiding injuries and fatalities.

I think the best choice is to keep collecting data and observing trends. I'm open to admitting my thoughts on the issue are wrong if provided with sufficient and convincing data.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Dude
dude
dude

Robo-Revere is already programmed and ready for action.

Nothing to worry about.

Shitty people exist with or without guns that is obvious and people who think crime will just vanish are a bit silly.

The initial statistics from the Missouri study would to speculation that firearms make committing crimes easier, and may result in more impulsive criminal activities. It's a more logical point to consider, and then enter a dialogue of how to balance the issue of safety and freedoms.

People will get guns illegally in the same way that people will drive without a licence, but establishing barriers (what is an appropriate barrier is a different debate) could help in subsiding injuries and fatalities.

I think the best choice is to keep collecting data and observing trends. I'm open to admitting my thoughts on the issue are wrong if provided with sufficient and convincing data.

I need to do some research and see if I can find the numbers on the type of guns used. This, to me, would be an important piece of information.

I'm really curious of the amount of firearm deaths, how many were performed by the actual, legal owner of that firearm. Not a black market firearm.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I need to do some research and see if I can find the numbers on the type of guns used. This, to me, would be an important piece of information.

I'm really curious of the amount of firearm deaths, how many were performed by the actual, legal owner of that firearm. Not a black market firearm.

probably semiautomatic "assault" weapons.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for the non-semi class to get another repackaged name in the next few years.

Something like Fleshraper.

ooo I like fleshraper. Sounds like Doom weapon.

I'd also take GutFucker

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I need congress to deregulate Sounds Suppressors from Title 2 (NFA) weapons to Title 1 (GCA) weapons.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Repealing the Second Amendment doesn't eliminate the right to keep and bear arms no more than repealing the First Amendment means the state can establish its own church.

You, of course, know that :D

Edit: I'd like to see Eddie's take on the methodology.

What confuses me is that when you buy a handgun from a dealer you still have to pass the NICS (Federal) background check?

If the repeal of the permitting scheme does account for an increase in people using handguns for murders then what accounts for this? Particularly given that its legal in MO to buy a handgun from a private party which has no background check.

According to what I read is that previously, they had a check requirement on "Unlicensed" dealers.

Furthermore:"The increase in murders with firearms in Missouri began in the first full year after the PTP handgun law was repealed when data from crime gun traces revealed simultaneous large increases in the number of guns diverted to criminals and in guns purchased in Missouri that were subsequently recovered by police in border states that retained their PTP laws."

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Dealing in firearms without a Federal Firearms License is a crime.

Occasionally selling a privately owned firearm, even for profit, is not a crime.

"Unlicensed dealers" are criminals.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No faux gun name is complete without the inclusion of the word "gat."

levergat
shotgat
gatgat

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
semis of mass destruction

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Since 2008 there have been a record number of gun sales.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
It makes no difference one way or the other. On average, it doesn't make you safer, and it doesn't put you in greater danger. This is an example of how gun ownership affects homicide rates (by state). If you produce a similar graph for all the countries of the world you'll get a similar result. There's no correlation - IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.

GOvsHom_State.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
So, which state is the one dot all the way to the upper left?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Lets just make killing people illegal and then no one would be killed and then we wouldn't need to worry with gun laws.