MISTer FPGA?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Oh, nice. I didn't realize anybody was even working on a Saturn core for Mister.

Have anybody used any of the Mister Jamma solutions? I scooped up the Irken Labs one (he's calling it the Jamma Expander) today, looking forward to trying it out.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Never would have thought we'd see Saturn OR PSX on the Mister but here we are, gonna be a long while yet before anything plays well but it's exciting times ahead

Reactions: wyo

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I hope they eventually work on a PGM core, and a TMNT 1 and 2 core.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Should be taken with a colossal grain of salt, but an engineer has started piecing together a Toaplan V2 core specifically for Battle Garegga, but could potentially run such hits as Batsugun, Batrider, Truxton 2 and BRAIN WASHING GAME Teki Paki

I wouldn't normally get excited over some twitter guy saying he's doing stuff, but he seems very skilled technically and is knowledgeable of arcade hardware (and gaming!) in general, and is specifically refusing to accept donations or create a patreon. His motivation primarily seems to be that he wants to save the space and hassle of hooking up his real Garegga PCB, which is a solid flex and fuckin' rules lmao.

Also, he's focusing on recreating one single game that he owns (Garegga) so hopefully he's detail orientated and really strives for true 100% accuracy before hopping over to another platform like Jotego does (who does incredible work, but there always seems to be one or two minor issues per core that make me hesitant to say they're 100% accurate). He also mentions another nice side-effect of Mister in general - most of the important ICs he needs already have FPGA implementations, and barring a couple more he'd need to analyze the bulk of his work will be routing and connecting these chips together. That's why even though I think Robocop is overrated and the memes are the only value Bad Dudes has, the work on those cores might carry forward to Data East games I enjoy more, like, uhh I dunno, Edward Randy or something

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Really exciting stuff to see a Toaplan V2 core in the works. Hopefully this will lead to a core for the Mahou Daisakusen games too. :buttrock:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
That would be awesome and reason enough to buy a mister :D
Totally agree, haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet but it’s looking more and more tempting.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Have anybody used any of the Mister Jamma solutions? I scooped up the Irken Labs one (he's calling it the Jamma Expander) today, looking forward to trying it out.

Ive got Zim's Expander. It's titties. Im stuck on 3 buttons right now because I'm waiting on an adapter for my MGCD from James, and the CPS2 kick harness adapter is coming with it.

But yeah, so far the Expander is rad. Im having trouble with Genesis games, they always end up having resolution problems. But not CD games. I have no idea why.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Hot diggity, Saturn AND PSX? Dream come true, the progress is astounding

Random news, but the guy who was previously working on a PSX FPGA core named "Laxer3A", who stopped awhile back due to some internal drama appears to be back at it, so now there are two active PSX cores being developed at the same time... strange situation, but hopefully they combine forces and focus on a single implementation (although I can imagine they'd be weary after Laxer3A's last partnership exploded for some reason)

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Maybe he realized that FPGA zum Spaß (FPGA for fun) is ready pretty soon. ^^

I'm Robert Peip, also known as FPGAzumSpass.

After starting with FPGAs as a hobby, I worked about 7 years as fulltime FPGA developer and came back to do it as hobby again...because it's fun.

I'm working mainly on MiSTer Cores:
PlayStation Core - work in progress
GBA Core
WonderSwan Core
Atari Lynx Core
Gameboy Core - Features (e.g. Savestates, Fastforward, Splitscreen)
NES Core - Savestates
Nintendo DS - 2D only, not on MiSTer
AO486 - Cache/Speedup
Chess core