MK Reptile AI question

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Maybe one of you with programming experience/knowledge can answer this:

When you're playing a Mortal Kombat game as Reptile, against the computer, and become invisible, can the game program still "see" you, and doing so is futile, or are your actions and inputs truly hidden from the AI? In my experience, my computer opponent seems to know exactly what I'm up to when I'm invisible and reacts like I'm not.

I would speculate that, if the AI really couldn't "see" you, the character it controls would just stand there, idle, or start behaving erratically (i.e., "Does not compute" 🤣)?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I've wondered this as well in games where you can disappear. I assume in most games the AI is unaltered.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
The original MK games had substantial input reading and location reading by the computer to determine how it should cheaply pwn you. In a game like MK II I'm almost certain that the fact you are invisible has 0 effect on the opponent AI and its input/location reading.

If being invisible had a substantial effect on the cpu ai, I think we'd see a lot more people abusing Reptile in MK2 to do speedruns or beat harder difficulties or bosses like Kintaro.

@M

20 Year Member
You can't play *as* Reptile in MK1 can you?
Not that I'm aware of, except with a Game Genie code maybe. I seem to recall that he just uses Scorpion and Sub-Zero's moves in MK1 too, no attacks unique to him like invisibility, power orb, and acid spit like in MK2.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Not that I'm aware of, except with a Game Genie code maybe. I seem to recall that he just uses Scorpion and Sub-Zero's moves in MK1 too, no attacks unique to him like invisibility, power orb, and acid spit like in MK2.

I actually fought against him for the first time a little while after I posted that lol. I got the Turbo Ninja update ROM for MAME, did a fatality on Johnny Cage, and then it did the whole thing and next I was in the pit fighting him. I was able to beat him, but probably only because of the increased speed and the uppercut recovery time being cut in half.

I dont really consider that cheating since it wasn't a hack, but an officially released 'update' from Midway.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
For sure in the arcade version of MK II. It doesn't matter if you're visible or not. the computer will counter literally every single move.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Any idea who the voice actor in MK2 was for the select screen. The guy who announces the name of your character after you choose them. He did a good job, I'd love to hear him speak a sentence.

Nevermind, found the information in 2 seconds.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

You can play as Reptile in MK1 using a Game Genie (or Action Replay) code. But as I remember, it just changes you colour to green (on the select screen), and if you pick Sub Zero, you will only get Sub Zero's moves.
You can't play Reptile like the computer does, where he's much faster, and has the moves of both Sub Zero and Scorpion. I think this is because the computer is actually morphing between the two characters, so the idle stance varies between that of Sub Zero, and of Scorpion.

@M

20 Year Member
I know that Scorp, Rep, and Sub have different idle stances in MK2, but I never noticed in MK1.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I know that Scorp, Rep, and Sub have different idle stances in MK2, but I never noticed in MK1.
Scorpion and Sub Zero have unique idle stances in MK1, but Reptile doesn't- he just uses theirs instead.