Modding a NTSC console to 50hz

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No?
Sarcasm does not suit people who make threads like this. Spastic level thread tubby
While Mr Madscotjock is a tad rotund, I can't get this idea of you owning plastic toys out of my head. It's a blight on your image, fix it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It really doesn't bother me tbh but I do enjoy how much it bothers other people. Bitches love it x

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Suppose a retard was feeling nostalgic for borders to the top and bottom of the screen, slower gameplay and broken dreams like most PAL gamers in the 90s endured.

Can a USA/JPN AES be modded to flip into 50hz mode like a shitty PAL console of days gone by? Is it basically the same process as modding a PAL console to 60hz but just a whole lot more retarded?

I’m guessing 50hz NTSC signal is a rare signal type and not supported by alot of CRTs as well. How would you get round that problem?
Why would you want to do this? Even for nostalgia purposes, you would still play SNES and Neo Geo games in 60Hz. Even back in the 90s (in Australia), arcade games were 60Hz. And the Neo Geo AES is supposed to be an arcade system.

There are some things that just aren't worth going back to. The point of retro gaming is you don't have to do things as you did them back then- which in Australia was usually RF connection for a SNES or Genesis, on a consumer TV (not a PVM), and 50Hz- slower speed, with black bars underneath and on top.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What the fuck! I keep saying joeX is upon us! This ain't a normal joe model!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
February 23rd, 1923. madmanjox dies in the hospital 3 hours after falling from a high rise... the prologue of the newborn JoeX.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Pretty funny so many people took this tech question seriously. I expected Joe9 to fall for it but shame on the rest of you for either not reading my post properly or licking Joe9’s ballsack.

Suppose a retard was feeling nostalgic for borders to the top and bottom of the screen, slower gameplay and broken dreams like most PAL gamers in the 90s endured.

Can a USA/JPN AES be modded to flip into 50hz mode like a shitty PAL console of days gone by? Is it basically the same process as modding a PAL console to 60hz but just a whole lot more retarded?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Pretty funny so many people took this tech question seriously. I expected Joe9 to fall for it but shame on the rest of you for either not reading my post properly or licking Joe9’s ballsack.
Pretty funny I made this thread with honest intention and joe9 of all people fucking destroyed me and I need to pretend it's a parody now

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So, now you're claiming it wasn't a serious question?

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
So, now you're claiming it wasn't a serious question?

If by now you mean my first post, yes.

I know a few locals with PAL AES systems who insist 50Hz is OK. Bunch of nutters.

For the rare handful of games in the 90s which were PAL optimised it was arguably better (better resolution at the same speed as NTSC). Those games where few and far between though.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
For the rare handful of games in the 90s which were PAL optimised it was arguably better (better resolution at the same speed as NTSC). Those games where few and far between though.
Which doesn't apply at all to Japanese-developed arcade games.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I know a few locals with PAL AES systems who insist 50Hz is OK. Bunch of nutters.
As far as recall, you can convert it to 60hz, just by cutting the wire on one resistor on the PCB. But I can understand that some people might not want to do that to a mint Euro AES (that hasn't been messed with internally).
The few AES consoles that were privately imported to Australia were mostly the Euro AES, with 50Hz and English language.

For some games, like SF2 on SNES, they used workarounds that made the black bars not so bad. And on SF2 Turbo you could just select a faster game speed.
But, of course, game design back then was dominated by what the Japanese and American markets wanted, which was 60Hz.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
PAL 50Hz is acceptable if a game was specifically made for these specs and did not come out outside of Europe, like Power Strike II on SMS or Darxide on 32X which were optimised to run on 50Hz and would be barely playable in 60Hz. There also are some rare instances where the dev'ers were kind enough to properly adjust the game speed of PAL versions (the Virtua titles on Genny/32X come to mind) but you'd still be stuck with horizontal borders and an overall cramped look.

I also much prefer the colour display of PAL systems over NTSC ("Never The Same Color"), if I could choose I would opt for PAL-60 any day of the week but NTSC is fine as well as long as the game runs fullscreen and at full speed.

PAL-50 was one of the major reasons why I started importing games in the late 80s/early 90s. I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Those SMS games that were released in Europe but not North America... Everyone seems to suggest they are optimized for PAL, but I don't really feel that. They work great on NTSC systems, music and gameplay don't feel fast to me. The ones programmed in Japan could still be NTSC-optimized for all we know.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Those SMS games that were released in Europe but not North America... Everyone seems to suggest they are optimized for PAL, but I don't really feel that. They work great on NTSC systems, music and gameplay don't feel fast to me. The ones programmed in Japan could still be NTSC-optimized for all we know.
If I set my PSII to 60Hz it becomes a flying circus that's no fun to play for me. Of course you can make if it you've never played the game in its original speed before but IMO it's less playable and the screen stretching also doesn't do the game much good.

Anyway, fuck 50Hz and the lazy-ass dev'ers and publishers who thought it would be okay to torture us gamers for fucking decades with slow-ass shit versions of otherwise great games that became a chore to play in 50Hz. I wouldn't have dreamt of importing games myself if our local versions would have had proper speed and visuals, can't count the extra money I had to spend just to work around that shit. Again, fuck you PAL-area companies to fucking hell.

And yeah, so glad it's not an issue anymore.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If I set my PSII to 60Hz it becomes a flying circus that's no fun to play for me. Of course you can make if it you've never played the game in its original speed before but IMO it's less playable and the screen stretching also doesn't do the game much good..
Which game(s)?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Power Strike II
Yeah, good example.The music is hyper in that one on NTSC systems too. Somehow I got used to it and found it easier to finish than the first. I'm happy just sticking with NTSC.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, good example.The music is hyper in that one on NTSC systems too. Somehow I got used to it and found it easier to finish than the first. I'm happy just sticking with NTSC.
The first PS puts a lot of emphasis on the powerups, if you arrive at a certain spot with the wrong weapon you're going to have huge probs advancing. That feature has been toned down quite a bit in PSII it seems.

Still great games, can't really go wrong with that era of Compile shmups.