Modern "arcade" solutions?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I miss my candy cab a lot. But I don't miss maintaining it and how heavy its CRT was. So I've been thinking of getting a modern cab and throwing a mister in it. Anyone done this?

I was thinking like a Vewlix clone. Anyone know of better options?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It's a great solution. It makes the most sense to me. I've used a Mister in a Vewlix and in another cab with an LCD monitor in conjunction with a Brook board and it's excellent.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You're almost better off getting a real Vewlix price-wise. There's a ton of them out there (with arcades shutting down) and you often have to put a lot of work into Chewlixes (replacing substandard parts, getting the right harnesses and what not) that the difference in cost is negliglble. Probably won't be that way in a few years but I'd do the research.

I'd also look in to Sega's All-net Pras3. It's their last universal cab and while it's a weird height and only has 1-player panels. they're pretty affordable, easy to get wired up for a bunch of different platforms and often come with a solid computer that you can put Win10 on and run damn near anything.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I went with a real Vewlix, one of the newer Diamond Orange models after seeing just how much extra work and parts were required to get anywhere near a real vewlix and still fall short. All the aftermarket parts are designed around the official Taito harnesses so aren't of good use in a Chewlix without pain and suffering.

I was thinking of the mister route but I ended up rebuilding an X3 and loading the multi on it. Hooks up using the fast i/o so it's all kosher too.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
You can pick up an older Vewlix for less than a Chewlix and then swap the screen out if you want something brighter with less lag.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Any tips on where to find a Vewlix these days in the US? I emailed KC to see if he has any.

Thanks all!

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Don't go with KC - he's a rotten cab supplier. He'll send you pics of a nice looking cab and then send you a different one that's beat up and missing parts.

Reach out to GndZero Games - he's on Facebook, @_GeekMan_ on Twitter, email address is gndzerogames@gmail.com
He has several different models of Vewlix in stock and ready to ship.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I miss my candy cab a lot. But I don't miss maintaining it and how heavy its CRT was. So I've been thinking of getting a modern cab and throwing a mister in it. Anyone done this?

I was thinking like a Vewlix clone. Anyone know of better options?
Don’t get a vewlix, buy a rev.c 1080p noir cab. They cost around 1k and they are built from steel and made considerably better than a vewlix. Unless you want to rotate the lcd. However the noir weighs 100lbs more than the vewlix and it’s all in the build quality. its a tank amd it’s wheels and floor stands won’t bend from leaning on it like the vewlix are notoriously known for. It’s also got a 32 inch 1080 monitor with less than 5s response and you ain’t getting that in the vewlix unless you get a diamond black for $4,500

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Don’t get a vewlix, buy a rev.c 1080p noir cab. They cost around 1k and they are built from steel and made considerably better than a vewlix. Unless you want to rotate the lcd.

Dang those look nice. But yeah, rotating the monitor is a huge draw to the vewlix for me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Being able to rotate the monitor is a huge plus, what other LCD cab can do that?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Monitor on Vewlix F has great response times. *shrugs*

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah I can't wait for the monitor to die so I can justify a lightweight replacement. The monitors are nearly a 1/3 of the cabinets weight and are generally poor performers today.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got an SQ last year (like second gen G Balance, basically), and finally got a place for it to land last week. It's really excellent.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I got an SQ last year (like second gen G Balance, basically), and finally got a place for it to land last week. It's really excellent.

If I ever get an LCD cab (someday lol) then I want a G-Balance/SQ. I think they look awesome and they go surprisingly cheap. Control panel is Astro City height, right? Viewlix height next to my candies would piss me off probably.
Can also confirm that the Namco Noir feel much higher quality than Viewlixes in general. My personal pick for LCD cab would be a Noir Blanc if they weren't slightly taller than original Noir cabs

Ajax

15 Year Member
This is actually the second one I've purchased, but I traded the first one away before I got it. It was $600, loool. This current one cost a bit more, but it was apparently in better condition. Shrugs

Mini Cute CP sits higher than SQ, hilariously. It feels pretty low. The cab overall feels insanely premium though. Monitor is still 720p, but looks a bit better than Vewlix F.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Post pics of it running man thats awesome news!

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Setting up the Mister in it was really easy

NJG6Zjtl.jpg

Ajax

15 Year Member
Looks pretty slick! Who did you end up ordering from?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Dang. I can’t wait to set up a man cave one day. Next best thing to getting a candy I suppose.

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got it from hadouken-arcade.com

Hell yeah dude. It looks great. Has the proper screen orientation too, I see. ;) Was this a brand new one?