Modern complete collections & the state of the community

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
My buddy and I started a podcast a couple months ago - we just post whenever we feel like it. The current retro market was our topic for our most recent episode, so we talk a lot about all of this stuff - especially the point NeoSneth made about his nephews. I ran into much the same scenario. I don't have kids of my own, but I have plenty of nephews/nieces and friends with kids. They are not at all interested in anything older than the PS3 era - not even in the slightest. I think that there will still be a Neo market, and a small market for other retro wares, but nothing like it is today. Once the luster wares off of having large game collections for most middle-aged people, those folks will eventually sell everything and flood the market making prices plummet.

If you all are board, might be worth a watch. I'm the dude on the right in the Zelda shirt, Kristoff (anyone remember him from a million years ago here?) is on the left.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If I live long enough, I will buy all of your valuable games for dirt cheap.

Obscure retro japanese computer games will be long dead by then. Floppies are dying left and right.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Last year I got back into home carts, have 17 carts total. Lost momentum after that, got everything I kinda wanted and I have a NeoSD for the rest. I'd say I'm done except for maybe a few more.

Digmac's guide is spot on if you wan't to get any semblance of a deal today.
Same for me

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Yeah and I just thought even now you can see some games that are pretty recent skyrocket in price. If you look at the ds Pokémon games which are only 10 years old they are now fetching over $100. I think certain game franchises will retain value while others will plummet.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Mostly an MVS hobo with a handful of AES titles. My MVS collection is pretty much done (got all the games I enjoy). Only title I want on MVS is Ninja Commando. I sold that one a few years ago here and regret it. It will cost three to four times what I paid for it only 5 years ago.

Ebay is inflating prices like a motherfucker. Unfortunately, I have been driven to buy overpriced bullshit there.

Collectors don't sell their shit anymore unless they are gettting married, buying a house or having a baby.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
did some pricing this week, and NeoGeo seems to have plateaued over the last year. it's certainly not keeping pace with the rest of the 16bit platforms.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
did some pricing this week, and NeoGeo seems to have plateaued over the last year. it's certainly not keeping pace with the rest of the 16bit platforms.
Has it? Someone on Facebook told me to eat a dick last week because somehow 8man is now a $200 cart.

The existence of Neo flashcarts and cash grabs from CSNK has driven the popularity of the system to a whole new level.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
^ Yeah, why the fuck is Sengoku 1 going for $300.

I am the only person on the planet that likes that game and it's still overpriced.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Has it? Someone on Facebook told me to eat a dick last week because somehow 8man is now a $200 cart.

The existence of Neo flashcarts and cash grabs from CSNK has driven the popularity of the system to a whole new level.
well...was it the masseur? :keke:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

A little bit less than $200 is the going rate for 8 Man MVS cart in Japan. Most shops over there have it for around the 20,000 yen mark, sometimes more. Just recently got one imported to the tune of $185 plus shipping for a mint cart with the original mini marquee. Got it shipped with two other MVS carts, so shipping could be more reasonable per cart.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Japanese games are flat for the most part but earlier US releases especially DT variants have gone up alot recently. World Heroes US is now a $200-$300 game.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Japanese games are flat for the most part but earlier US releases especially DT variants have gone up alot recently. World Heroes US is now a $200-$300 game.
Earthbound is a $5000 game now. just saying.

Neo Geo is no longer the Big Tymer

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Earthbound is a $5000 game now. just saying.

Neo Geo is no longer the Big Tymer
Earthbound is not in the league of World Heroes.

Try to fetch a Big Tournament Golf... let me know how much was your score ;)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Earthbound is not in the league of World Heroes.

Try to fetch a Big Tournament Golf... let me know how much was your score ;)

While there are expensive Neo Games, the prices have not continued to climb as other 16 bit systems.