Modern complete collections & the state of the community

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Who in our esteemed community still has their home carts collection :vik:

let's say a friend is just now getting into the hobby and money is no object. Are quality mint condition carts with little to no sun fade still in existence? Is eBay anything other than a graveyard of shitty / inferior condition resellers trash and conversions?

Where are the last of the big tymers?

Is there any hope for small tymer MVS wanna-be's?

🔥 🔥 :shredder: 🔥 🔥
:buttrock::buttrock::-J :buttrock::buttrock:
:-J :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock::buttrock:
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :-J :buttrock:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Check out my guide to importing from Japan in the market rules and faqs section. That's really my findings with sourcing Neo, and arcade stuffs nowadays.
Thank you I appreciate it

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Hi, I still have my collection, suspended it some years ago and now I regret it seeing the current high prices. I'm missing 17 AES titles for a full set.

I recently bought 2 NeoGeo CD titles and I'm just missing one for a full set in factory sealed condition.

For MVS Kits I'm not sure how many I own, over a 100 for sure.

I have no plans to sell the collection, maybe some doubles, the plan is to let my son decide when he grows up.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Hi, I still have my collection, suspended it some years ago and now I regret it seeing the current high prices. I'm missing 17 AES titles for a full set.

I recently bought 2 NeoGeo CD titles and I'm just missing one for a full set in factory sealed condition.

For MVS Kits I'm not sure how many I own, over a 100 for sure.

I have no plans to sell the collection, maybe some doubles, the plan is to let my son decide when he grows up.
Amazing, feel free to link any collection photos if u got em

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I still have a bunch of MVS and AES games. I have what I'd want to play, I may get an NeoSD AES at some point and still collect because I enjoy it.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Does he like playing Neo-Geo?
Hi - he just turned 5 and I'm keeping him away from videogames, I prefer that he plays with physical toys and specially that he plays and burns energy outdoors, we'll have time to play games.

If I have time I play at night, after he's asleep; recently he woke up and caught me playing Garou MOTW, he wanted to play, I allowed him to do 2/3 matches before going back to sleep, he loved it :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Last year I got back into home carts, have 17 carts total. Lost momentum after that, got everything I kinda wanted and I have a NeoSD for the rest. I'd say I'm done except for maybe a few more.

Digmac's guide is spot on if you wan't to get any semblance of a deal today.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Who in our esteemed community still has their home carts collection :vik:

let's say a friend is just now getting into the hobby and money is no object. Are quality mint condition carts with little to no sun fade still in existence? Is eBay anything other than a graveyard of shitty / inferior condition resellers trash and conversions?

Where are the last of the big tymers?

Is there any hope for small tymer MVS wanna-be's?

🔥 🔥 :shredder: 🔥 🔥
:buttrock::buttrock::-J :buttrock::buttrock:
:-J :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock::buttrock:
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :-J :buttrock:
Hey Hyper - I went through all of this in 2019 and 2020 and learned a lot about the modern market. So much so that I made an entire section of my website about it. I've put together a massive set of collection tips. May or may not help, but worth a look for some pointers. Check out the reviews and such while you're there as well. 😁 https://www.bokujinsroom.net/resources

I need to update my collection photos, but I have 62 AES and 10 MVS. I'll post some new pics soon.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I had 65 home carts at one point but sold out and went full hobo MVS. A year or two ago I decided to restart buying AES games if I can find them for around $50 shipped. My current home cart collection consists of SSK2, AoF and FHD.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I like collecting home carts. There’s still a lot you can get for relatively cheap and in decent condition. Relatively cheap being <$200.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Hey Hyper - I went through all of this in 2019 and 2020 and learned a lot about the modern market. So much so that I made an entire section of my website about it. I've put together a massive set of collection tips. May or may not help, but worth a look for some pointers. Check out the reviews and such while you're there as well. 😁 https://www.bokujinsroom.net/resources

I need to update my collection photos, but I have 62 AES and 10 MVS. I'll post some new pics soon.
Is that a new site? Why don’t I ever remember it?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
im still sitting on all my AES and CD games. The MVS is almost all gone once I got comfortable with the 16X in 1 carts. I sold some of my CD games, but I think it was mostly duplicates.

I haven't gone back to my Carts in a long time. I think we only have ~10 more years where people will find Neo Geo carts relevant, and I'm fine letting them go. The problem is that is so much work....

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Is that a new site? Why don’t I ever remember it?

I've had that site since the beginning of 2019 or so, but I did a massive overhaul early 2020 to make it Neo focused with some other arcade stuff. Needed to narrow the scope a bit to make it a manageable hobby thing.

I haven't gone back to my Carts in a long time. I think we only have ~10 more years where people will find Neo Geo carts relevant, and I'm fine letting them go. The problem is that is so much work....

A buddy on instagram interviewed me a while back, and I made a similar prediction. Once Gen Z gets to be our age or so, I look for the current retro market to plummet. Most folks buying this stuff are in their late 30's and early 40's or so - it's like retro games are the new mid-life crisis car.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I've had that site since the beginning of 2019 or so, but I did a massive overhaul early 2020 to make it Neo focused with some other arcade stuff. Needed to narrow the scope a bit to make it a manageable hobby thing.

A buddy on instagram interviewed me a while back, and I made a similar prediction. Once Gen Z gets to be our age or so, I look for the current retro market to plummet. Most folks buying this stuff are in their late 30's and early 40's or so - it's like retro games are the new mid-life crisis car.
Yeah you can do even see that now with certain consoles. Gamecube and now even Wii stuff is starting to rise in price as people who played those as kids are now adults, but stuff like Atari is dirt cheap as anyone who played that as a kid is now much older. Eventually I imagine NES stuff will fall and everything subsequent to that will as well.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah unless you have some weirdo cart that only had 5 copies ever made your atari 2600 shit is worth jack shit because no one besides the people who played it care. I don't know about Neo and other systems of the era, because the gulf in complexity between 2600 and Neo is just too big. It could be that Atari 2600 prices going down is just a result of them never being too much fun in the first place.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Atari 2600 prices have always been low (although complete copies of rare games of course aren't cheap). If you're waiting for NES prices to go down, it's going to be a long time.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Atari 2600 prices have always been low (although complete copies of rare games of course aren't cheap). If you're waiting for NES prices to go down, it's going to be a long time.

The 2600 market definitely had a boom period where games fetched a premium compared to their current value. Prices are down ~75% from their peak.

I'm not convinced retro game collecting as a whole will retain value. I think certain complete copies of games will stay high, but I expect the vast majority of them to plummet over the coming decades. There is a frequent comparison to comics, but that market is also trash outside a few key copies. We have a century of data to show this happens. Marbles, Cowboy Toys, Buck rogers, model trains, atari, hot wheels, action figures, barbie..... they all hit a peak and taper off as their demographic ages. i knew people with a massive collections of vintage toys and hobby stuff, and planned to leave it to their kids. None of it retained value, and the kids put it to estate sale.

I think about my nephews. Do any of them care about the NES? nope. Do any of them care about Neo Geo? absolutely not. You know what they did love? Skylanders and Wii. It wouldn't surprise me if the buckets of skylanders toys out there start to fetch big $$$ in 10 years.