Mortal Kombat 1 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch & PC)

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
All Mortal Kombat sucks. All games, all platforms, yes, even if you were 11 in 1992. That changes nothing. It all sucks.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
All Mortal Kombat sucks. All games, all platforms, yes, even if you were 11 in 1992. That changes nothing. It all sucks.

billy-madison-adam-sandler.gif

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, but they're big DC fans and are probably looking at the clock going "welp, our storyline is totally out of whack, time to reboot the universe again!"

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
September 19th, 2023

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Didn't they reboot MK1 with mk 9 or 10?

"After a bit of teasing(opens in new tab), NetherRealm has unveiled the next Mortal Kombat with an appropriately gruesome trailer that sees naughty Shang Tsung getting a spanking. Mortal Kombat 1, as you might expect from the name, is a reboot, but because of timeline shenanigans it's also a sequel.

Right, time to untangle some Mortal Kombat lore!

Mortal Kombat 11 saw the roster of eclectic warriors fighting to control or restore history after the titan Kronika fiddled with the timeline to erase the thunder god Raiden from existence. A time storm also brought young versions of Raiden and others into the present, including good boy Liu Kang. After a lot of brutal fights, the undead Liu Kang from the present absorbed the soul of his younger version, and then merged with past Raiden to become Fire God Liu Kang, and then defeated Kronika. Not at all confusing.

Before the new god could restore the timeline, charismatic villain Shang Tsung threw a spanner in the works as he attempted to create his own timeline. Cheeky! In the canon ending of the Aftermath DLC, Liu Kang finally defeats Shang Tsung and starts his "new era". This seems to be where Mortal Kombat 1 picks things up.

Narrating the trailer, Liu Kang reveals that he's made a blank canvas where people can choose how to live their lives, "whether to live in quiet serenity or bloody strife". In this timeline, will Scorpion and Sub-Zero be pals or hated rivals? Will Mileena and Katana learn to get along? Before we get an answer, Shang Tsung once again reappears and promptly starts murdering everyone, before getting brutally slain himself by Liu Kang. Classic Mortal Kombat.

We'll have to wait for more details about the storyline and the roster, but not too long. Mortal Kombat 1 is coming on September 19. The official site(opens in new tab) does tease a bit more information, though. Expect a "new fighting system, game modes and fatalities" as well as mechanics like Kameo fighting partners, where you can pick from a "unique" roster of helpful characters who will assist you in fights.

Mortal Kombat has long been my favourite fighting series, and I'm pleased to see MK1 seems as unhinged as ever. And stupidly violent. With launch not far away, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of it soon."

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I thought this was an MK1 reboot. Where's Kano? Where's Sonya? Where's Johnny Cage? WTF is going on?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I thought this was an MK1 reboot. Where's Kano? Where's Sonya? Where's Johnny Cage? WTF is going on?
They will be DLC I'm sure, probably something to do with the stupid Kameo system.

They also mention "Crystals" which I assume is in game currency ugh.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
They will be DLC I'm sure, probably something to do with the stupid Kameo system.

They also mention "Crystals" which I assume is in game currency ugh.

And the first DLC... Kombat Pack 1

Six Playable Characters

• Quan Chi
  • Omni Man
  • Ermac
  • Peacemaker
  • Takeda
  • Homelander

Five Kameo Characters
  • Tremor
  • Johnny Cage
  • Khameleon
  • Mavado
  • Ferra
Jean-Claude Van Damme Character Skin

Another multi-DLC / Season Pass game :censored:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Looks like there's gonna be an MK1 stress test at some point. I went to register but then it said its only available for PS5/Xbox and not PC. So I didn't register.

I'd rather have it on Steam so I can use it on my Chewie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So it's just the usual stiff dumb MK but now with strikers and even more terrible story, how revolutionary lol

Backgrounds are pretty impressive though.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah just looks like more modern MK. Obviously there are a lot of people who are in to that and more power to them. I just never gave a shit about MK's ridiculously convoluted story/lore stuff and the gameplay/mechanics have been stilted and boring for me since the series went 3D.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
list of all playable characters (rumor or leak ?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Mortal Kombat games I liked
1, 2, UMK3, X

Mortal Kombat games I didn't really play:

Mortal Kombat games that sucked ass:
all of the rest of them but especially Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat Gold

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I had some fun with Deadly Alliance playing it with friends. It was a terrible game, but playing it with friends and doing weird moves was fun.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
I loved every bit of MK9.
It seems it's the staple for all current MK as they all have been looking like the same thing since then (could be talking out of my ass as I didn't play any of them) - and it's an actual tribute to the original MKs...

So how long till they actually 8K-remake MK9?