mortal kombat 9 doesn't look like complete crap. yet.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
interview/gameplay.

never been a big fan of the MK series, but this could be alright.
good to see it's back to 2D.
i don't think midway has the skills to make a good 3d fighter.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Yeah, looks pretty solid! This one's coming out next year, right? I'm most excited for Twisted Metal next year, but this is probably the second most exciting game on the horizon.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
This looks pretty decent and the fatalities are pretty gruesome and awesome. I havent played MK since the last one that came out on the SNES, from what I've heard I didnt miss much. But this looks like it could be good.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The movement looks a little stiff, but otherwise it looks like good stuff. I'm not crazy about the fact that it appears that custom combos are still in the game, but it looks like they do significantly less damage than real combos. The tag mode looked like fun too, but needs to be cut down to one round.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting this.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I stopped giving a fuck about MK for the same reason as Soul Calibur: character designs went from simple and clean to clunky and overly elaborate after every subsequent release.

Raiden in Mk1 was just a dude with glowing eyes wearing a karate gi and a rice hat: like those badasses in Big Trouble in Little China.

But now he's a total clusterfuck; buckles, amulets, ratty assed grey hair down the sides of his head, tunics, armbands and shit....it's like they took MK1 raiden, covered him in crazy glue and rolled him through a flea market until the stupidest shit was sticking to him.

And man, Reptile has seen better days, same with Jax, or Smoke.

This new title looks alright to me though.
And Kung Lao is looking pretty cool as well and that's who I always used anyways.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It took them 7 games, but finally they came through with another good one. I hope.

Shit, I might have to get a Playstation 3 again if this turns out like it should.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I read in a recent article at gamespot that the roster consists of characters from MK1 - UMK3, which I think means this game was mistaken for being an HD MK Collection, which was rumored few days ago.

They also mentioned that they may add DLC characters from other MK games such as MK4.

Кашика;3049484 said:
I stopped giving a fuck about MK for the same reason as Soul Calibur: character designs went from simple and clean to clunky and overly elaborate after every subsequent release.

Raiden in Mk1 was just a dude with glowing eyes wearing a karate gi and a rice hat: like those badasses in Big Trouble in Little China.

But now he's a total clusterfuck; buckles, amulets, ratty assed grey hair down the sides of his head, tunics, armbands and shit....it's like they took MK1 raiden, covered him in crazy glue and rolled him through a flea market until the stupidest shit was sticking to him.

Totally agreed. It's the case with most character designs nowadays, sadly.

Last edited:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
it just better not end up like this.

Fuck.

That reminds me: when when I went to check up on the craigslist offer for a Neo Geo Mini-Bigred, while the owner was showing it off to me, his kids... were in the other room playing motherfucking Mortal Kombat vs DC.
The kids were all like; "get that fucking eyesore (the cab) out of our house" and "OMG! I can have the Joker shoot Batman is the face!!!111" I wanted to facepalm so hard.

I didn't say anything because I WANTED THAT CAB.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
i don't think midway has the skills to make a good fighter.

happy?

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
i don't think midway has the skills to make a good 2d fighter.

You left yourself wide open for that.

It's funny you say that. because UMK3 is a great 2d fighter. Even if they made it that way by accident. Past MK Midway staff interviews hint to this.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
It's funny you say that. because UMK3 is a great 2d fighter. Even if they made it that way by accident. Past MK Midway staff interviews hint to this.

Yeah, its kind of like MvC2 in that regard. There's a lot of shit wrong with the game but it all just kind of balances out (so to speak) and the game ends up being better for it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I like how they managed to increase the brutality of Cage's groin-punch exponentially.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
Rasim Delić;3049569 said:
Yeah, its kind of like MvC2 in that regard. There's a lot of shit wrong with the game but it all just kind of balances out (so to speak) and the game ends up being better for it.

well...
yes and no.
in mvc2, you can't do 80-100+ damage in 5-7 hits.