mortal kombat 9 doesn't look like complete crap. yet.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
The game is on sale at Toys R Us for $40. I was lucky enough to get the last copy.
When I went to go pay for it, the guy at the register got one of those in-store catalogs that they have on the side, and tore off a $10 coupon for the game. :D
Thought you guys who've waited for a price drop might be interested. I would also call in advance.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I think pretty much everybody is selling Portal 2 and MK9 this week for 40 bones. If I didn't drop 35 bucks on a Madcatz pad to play MK I would have picked up Portal 2 with my 10 dollar credit from getting MK on Amazon.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I think pretty much everybody is selling Portal 2 and MK9 this week for 40 bones. If I didn't drop 35 bucks on a Madcatz pad to play MK I would have picked up Portal 2 with my 10 dollar credit from getting MK on Amazon.

Yea that Portal 2 for $35 is tempting. Plus I need to buy a few other things on Amazon as well.

BTW: Anyone down for some MK tonight?

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I thought I would never get another MK game but getting this for $30 bucks made it seem worthwhile. TRU had it on sale for $40 plus another $10 off for the coupon. I figure I could sell the Kitana code for $20 and and up with a $10 MK purchase.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
lol@ "And now look, watch this."

Yeah, it's a bad glitch, but seems pretty easily avoidable. If you get parried and the guy sits there and blocks low afterward, keep your distance and use a projectile or something. What, is he going to sit there blocking low for the rest of the round? I assume it resets as soon as he moves or does anything. So if NRS fixes it, cool, if not, stop whining and learn to recognize and deal with it.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
That was one crappy video. Looks like the guy took his mom's 1982 Panasonic camcorder and recorded his SD TV while managing to de-sync the sound by 4 seconds.

Glitches suck, I agree there, but it sounds like NR is on the case. Though if someone gets you with that parry glitch and you go in for a third time, it's your own damn fault.

Been playing the game like crazy this past week. Was into Scorpion but last night I fell in love with Noob. Guy has some great zoning techniques and his mix up game is deadly. Plus his x-ray attack where he makes the opponent puke is priceless. I'm still having a blast with this game. Well worth the purchase.

If anyone is down for some games, I'll be on tonight.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This might be the most I've enjoyed a new fighting game since KOF '02. I like everything about it.

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
We've been playing the PS3 version at work due to the better standard controllers. I've unlocked some stuff on the Xbox version, and we want to switch over, but the Xbox controllers suck. We have access to a ton of arcade sticks, but most people in our MK playgroup don't want to play with a stick, they want to use a pad. Anyone know of any good pads for fighting games on the Xbox? The only one I know of is the Street Fighter 4 pad, but everyone hates that one.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
juts from reading this thread i went and got it from tru $30 more then i like to spend on new games but what the heck ill give it a shot

. Anyone know of any good pads for fighting games on the Xbox? The only one I know of is the Street Fighter 4 pad, but everyone hates that one.

the marvel fight pad by pelican seems to be popular its $40 but id say the quality is iffy

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
We've been playing the PS3 version at work due to the better standard controllers. I've unlocked some stuff on the Xbox version, and we want to switch over, but the Xbox controllers suck. We have access to a ton of arcade sticks, but most people in our MK playgroup don't want to play with a stick, they want to use a pad. Anyone know of any good pads for fighting games on the Xbox? The only one I know of is the Street Fighter 4 pad, but everyone hates that one.

The MadKatz pads are pretty much it as far as I know. The PDP Pad that they made for Marvel 3 is gone. If you're lucky you might find one in store, but I've heard mixed reactions about the controller.

I got a round two Bison pad, that people say has a better pad then the first run pads they did for SFIV. I like the controller a lot. It feels really good, the pad is nice and responsive as are the buttons. The only gripe I have is with the right trigger button. Since I grew up playing MK on my SNES I'm using the controller just like an SNES controller with the block button on the right trigger. The trigger feels really cheap and I sometimes fail to pull off an EX Move where you need to press block when you do the motion. It's cost me a couple of fights. Hopefully I just need to break the controller in. I can block with it just fine and I've never missed hitting it for an X-Ray attack, but just sometimes it won't work for an EX. It's odd.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
The trigger feels really cheap and I sometimes fail to pull off an EX Move where you need to press block when you do the motion. It's cost me a couple of fights. Hopefully I just need to break the controller in. I can block with it just fine and I've never missed hitting it for an X-Ray attack, but just sometimes it won't work for an EX. It's odd.

I have the same thing happen whenever I play online with a TE stick. EX moves only come out about 25% of the time, but when I'm in practice mode offline I hit them 100%. I'm definitely going to be switching to a SFIV pad as soon as possible. The stick is way too awkward for this game.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Anyone have any Sub-Zero tips? I was trying to decide if I should main him or Kung Lao since they were my two favorites back in the day and I'm leaning towards Sub-Zero.

Some good players using both of them in this vid.

From what I hear, Sub Zero is the slowest ninja but he hits the hardest, while Smoke is the fastest and the weakest, Scorpion is a mix of both, while Noob is both strong and fast but he can't combo for shit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I like the Kung Lao EX ground hat charge thing at 4:30

A lot of fun stuff to play around with in this game.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So I'm watching these videos of MK getting hacked...

And people are getting cool shit like

this:

or this

pretty much all the secret/boss characters are playable now, but AFAIK it's only possible on the xbox.

Or is it?

EDIT: here's another good one from ladder mode?

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Got a few games in with Ho Slappa and cannonball. Damn good games. The lag sometimes kills it for me, but it's still fun. Though in the last match SetaSouji rage quit.:D

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Got a few games in with Ho Slappa and cannonball. Damn good games. The lag sometimes kills it for me, but it's still fun. Though in the last match cannonball rage quit.:D

hahaha what? That's not how I remember it, pluscannonball wasn't even THERE. :lolz:

cannon should've been there though, we need more people to play with!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
hahaha what? That's not how I remember it, pluscannonball wasn't even THERE. :lolz:

cannon should've been there though, we need more people to play with!

What? Cannonball? I said no such thing. Now you're just making stuff up to hurt me.:p

It was you who rage quite over my awesome Noob Saibot. I remember it well.:eye::eye:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
If I remember right, you missed the x-ray, I stomped on you, and followed it up with a grab ;) it's all well and good because I imagine you're noob will be even worse next time we play