Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Samurai Spirits

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • World Heroes

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I think I like Samurai Spirits the most, but I do appreciate Fatal Fury for improving with every single iteration. It has probably contributed more gameplay ideas to the Neo than any other fighting series.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
My pick is King of fighters series!KOF 98 is my favorite!I think anyone who has played KOF enough is going to say '98 though:)

ChrisB

Another Striker
If I had to pick it would be last blade series, those games are glorious

erock

n00b
Last Blade & SamSho. SamSho wins, as it was the gateway to the NEO.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Stuck up for AOF, I play as Ryo a lot in FFS and King in KOF. Such iconic character designs and meaty gameplay. Great Neo fighting games from the very beginning. Love the sound effects and visible damage in AOF.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury for me. It's such an iconic SNK series, the grittyness of it is only topped by AOF.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury for me. It's such an iconic SNK series, the grittyness of it is only topped by AOF.

Same here. The Fatal Fury series in particular is one where I enjoy marathoning all of the games in a single session (usually sticking to one character to follow their narrative and development across the games). From Fatal Fury 1 to Garou: MotW, the evolution of the Fatal Fury series gameplay, graphics, music, and presentation is a sight to behold.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
KOF for me but it's coming from a person who hasn't played last blade. I want to like Sam Sho so much but special move are so much harder for me to pull off even tho they are similar inputs. Maybe one day I'll be able to grab a last blade kit.....

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Last Blade & SamSho. SamSho wins, as it was the gateway to the NEO.

samurai shodown may of been the gateway to the neo once. but once kof came into the scene, it pretty much became the series that the neo was known for.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I know I am in the minority, but Ninja Masters was and still is my favorite fighter on the Neo-Geo system. From the insanely awesome artwork, to the very beautiful and catchy music, cool sound effects, and different style gameplay, Ninja Masters wound up beating out all the others and I'm surprised that it did not even make your list of games to select from. That is like asking people what their favorite Shooter is on the Neo-Geo, and including games like The Super Spy, and Andro Dunos, but not including Pulstar. :scratch:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
not a series, dude. ninja master's is stand alone game. the thread is about the most popular fighter series.

Last edited:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Then learn to spell it right ;).

waka waka waka! I always make that mistake! I either wind up spelling Ninja Master's as Ninja Masters, OR Ninja MAster's. ugggghh..

not a series, dude. ninja master's is stand alone game. the thread is about the most popular fighter series.

You got me bro, I guess I never even noticed that he was talking about a fighting "series" on the Neo, just thought he was speaking about the best "fighters" on the Neo. I know that the other Ninja games from ADK are not Master's related, but Ninja Master's was looked at kinda by ADK as the final of the "Ninja" trilogy that they wanted to make on the Neo-Geo. :D Either way, no matter how you slice it, you're correct sir, Ninja Master's is a standalone fighter, so I guess we can't include it which is a shame as it stands above the others in many ways.

I guess if we have to go the way of the best fighter "series" on the Neo, I would have to say that Samurai Shodown was the most talked about fighter on the Neo for years until the KOF's came out, and even after that, many people still cherished Samurai Shodown 2 and 4, and heralded them as the most amazing fighters for obvious reasons. The people playing the KOF's did huddle around the Neo-Geo MVS when I was in College, and there was always someone playing it. But, the Samurai Shodown games had a huge amount of people huddled around the machine, especially the first Sam Sho game. I had never seen anything really like that in the Arcade in my life. I mean people still played Mortal Kombat, and some played SF2, but the huge amount of people wanting Samurai Shodown in 1993 was insane! The damn arcade would stay open until midnight, and they might as well have turned off all the other machines, as the gamers were playing Sam Sho in droves with quarters set on top the arcade MVS cab awaiting their turn, and I never felt or have seen anything like that for the KOF series, no matter how popular it became. Samurai Shodown was a god among fighting series on any system, and to this day the Neo-Geo is known first for it's Samurai Shodown games, and second for it's King of Fighters games.

I also must say that the Fatal Fury's were outstanding, as well as Last Blade, but not many people out there kept playing the Neo after the PlayStation became popular, the Fatal Fury's did not become masterpieces until later in the mid 90's to late 90's, and Last Blade's did not even come out until the time people forgot what the Neo even was, or if games were still being made for it. So, I would have to say without a shadow of a doubt, Samurai Shodown really is the true winner of the Neo system, with Samurai 4 being the absolute best in the entire series, Sam Sho 5 Special MVS, (and unfixed AES with Uni), being a close second.

Just my 2 cents worth.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I meant series as a whole. Asking which individual fighter is people's favourite would need too many options :)

Last edited:

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
KOF for me , I like it more overall compared to the others and I cannot seem to warm to FF at all.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
KOF for me , I like it more overall compared to the others and I cannot seem to warm to FF at all.

fair enough. king of fighter is an easy one for any one to get into. but fatal fury has the most diverse gameplay styles in the whole neo library of fighters. you don't like all the games in the fatal fury series?. how about the real bout games?. or mark of the wolves?. most people who like king of fighters also likes mark of the wolves.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'd go with the fatal fury series. I love ff special , real bout and motw.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Got to be fatal fury for me. It's the whole reason I have the console because I used to play the megadrive version to death and wanted the original.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Got to be fatal fury for me. It's the whole reason I have the console because I used to play the megadrive version to death and wanted the original.

:buttrock: the megadrive version was awesome back in the day. very faithful to the arcade for what it was.

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
This is a hard one because for me Garou is the pinnacle of SNK's work in the fighting genre but I think it's fair to say that the KOF series and Neo Geo are pretty much inseparable in terms of many people's view of the system.

The fact SNK are still developing new KOF versions tells me it's the title SNK probably has the closest affinity too.

The fact I think MOTW is the best means FF gets my vote though!

Last edited: