Movember - Chairty Event for Prostate & Testicular Cancer (Now with Videos!)

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Well, I was reading Art of Manliness today and they have a post about the Movember charity which raises money for prostate cancer, testicular cancer and male depression. Basically you shave clean on November 1st and grow only a mustache until November 30th getting donations as you go, similar to charity walks where you get pledges for however many miles you do.

Well, I figured I might as well participate. My grandfather had his prostate removed when I was in highschool and it was pretty rough times for him. If you saw my video response I have a full mustache and mutton chops right now. All of that's going to go on November 1st and you can watch, in near real time, my facial hair's glorious return.

Personally, my goal is at least $1,000. Seems like a good number for a month plus of donations. I think you can also just sign up as a supporter without donating which also helps.

I'll post daily updates with pictures and perhaps videos, might even take requests if I get donations.

http://us.movember.com/mospace/632912/

I'm on the Art of Manliness team. They are offering a Saddleback Leather Company bag and shaving dopp kit to whoever raises the most money on the team.

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/10/2...growing-a-mustache-the-2010-movember-contest/

Last edited:

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I have no one who would pledge money for me growing a mustache, but I wish this was a lil bit more of a contest...I would SOO shave my shit, and see how much I can grow in a moth for a good charity...

Good Luck and free bump...get some more pics up especialy when the contest starts...i'd like to donate for ya...

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I'm going to do daily photo updates either way, maybe some videos too. Most likely do a video of me shaving it all off at least. I think I might set up a new blog on my site for this just to have it all in one place.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
I'm going to do daily photo updates either way, maybe some videos too. Most likely do a video of me shaving it all off at least. I think I might set up a new blog on my site for this just to have it all in one place.

Cool man...I'll be on the look out for it...I can donate anytime during november right??

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Cool man...I'll be on the look out for it...I can donate anytime during november right??

You can donate now apparently. I already put $15 on myself just to get things started.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Bumping this.

You'll all get a rare glimpse of me completely clean shaven on Monday.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
5139063873_bf0763f16a.jpg

Face is like sandpaper today. Skin around my mouth is all red for some reason.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I am doing this too. I have had a beard for two years now so did not enjoy shaving it off yesterday. I totally feel the pain you are going through with the sandpaper/soreness. I have now got spots appear - I have never had spots.:very_ang:

Oh yeah, there is 31 off us doing it in my office. We have also come up with a way to extend the fundraising. From 'Movember' we will be going straight into 'Decembeard' - during this month everyone must sport a nicely trimmed beard. And then onto 'Januhairy' - no grooming, just let it grow.:vik:

God we are going to look so funny by the end.:D

On a side note, I am well up for raising money for this as I know it gets alot of people. But that does not change the fact that I wouldn't want someones finger being poked up by backside. Has anyone been brave enough to have it done...
:oh_no:

Anyway MoBro, enjoy the month and don't worry, the beard can come back soon.
Hope you raise alot for the cause.:multi_co:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
5139063873_bf0763f16a.jpg

Face is like sandpaper today. Skin around my mouth is all red for some reason.

Yeah, it sucks when you have a beard for a long time and shave it off... the skin underneath becomes very sensitive.

It's a lot colder too.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it sucks when you have a beard for a long time and shave it off... the skin underneath becomes very sensitive.

It's a lot colder too.

I dunno why but I've had a hell of a time this year with my bottom lip and around my mouth getting really chapped, beard or no. Shaving really didn't help.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I am doing this too. I have had a beard for two years now so did not enjoy shaving it off yesterday. I totally feel the pain you are going through with the sandpaper/soreness. I have now got spots appear - I have never had spots.:very_ang:

Oh yeah, there is 31 off us doing it in my office. We have also come up with a way to extend the fundraising. From 'Movember' we will be going straight into 'Decembeard' - during this month everyone must sport a nicely trimmed beard. And then onto 'Januhairy' - no grooming, just let it grow.:vik:

God we are going to look so funny by the end.:D

On a side note, I am well up for raising money for this as I know it gets alot of people. But that does not change the fact that I wouldn't want someones finger being poked up by backside. Has anyone been brave enough to have it done...
:oh_no:

Anyway MoBro, enjoy the month and don't worry, the beard can come back soon.
Hope you raise alot for the cause.:multi_co:

I'm not quite to the age where a prostate check is required, but I haven't had a physical in about 10 years, so it might be a good idea for me anyway.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm not quite to the age where a prostate check is required, but I haven't had a physical in about 10 years, so it might be a good idea for me anyway.

Yeah you are right, I have a few years yet too. They suggest you should at 40... or 35 if there is family history.

Still, it is an excellent cause and I look forward to doing my bit for it.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
5143538200_a12403bfe3.jpg

Come on, I put on sunglasses and don't have a shirt on. That's got to be worth a few bucks at least.

Donate Link

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
You look like a completely different person w/o a beard..

Now if we could get ookitarpanda to do the same thing..

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Used the gf's paypal account for a small contribution:D

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I'm definitely donating once my next paycheck comes in.

aria

Former Moderator
Invest in high-quality lip baum --it's totally worth it. I never used it until moving to MN, now I need it whenever winter comes around. The cheap stuff isn't the same.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I've been using this burts bees for a while. It works ok.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
5151405704_bbfb45c5e9.jpg

Thanks for all the donations so far guys. I got a bunch last night.

I've been thinking of doing some sort of gaming live stream to supplement this. Dunno what I'd stream though, can't do current console stuff since I don't have a capture card.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
5151405704_bbfb45c5e9.jpg

Thanks for all the donations so far guys. I got a bunch last night.

I've been thinking of doing some sort of gaming live stream to supplement this. Dunno what I'd stream though, can't do current console stuff since I don't have a capture card.

Um... the first thing I noticed was that your nose hair is longer than your mustache in that photo...