Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
All through that scene, I expect him to say to Apollo, "I have this plan. It's called SAVE-ASS."

You see Stallone is putting out another cut of Rocky IV? I guess its main changes are Paulie's robot being cut and more footage being added to the Rocky vs Drago fight.

I always figured a lot was left on the cutting room floor of that movie. I never read up on it but there's gotta be a reason like 30% of that film is montages and flashbacks.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You see Stallone is putting out another cut of Rocky IV? I guess its main changes are Paulie's robot being cut and more footage being added to the Rocky vs Drago fight.

I always figured a lot was left on the cutting room floor of that movie. I never read up on it but there's gotta be a reason like 30% of that film is montages and flashbacks.
lol no, I hadn't heard that. Maybe he got the idea after Coppola did his fix of Godfather 3.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
AMC has a silly policy of you should wear a mask but it's OK to remove it to consume snacks, so basically you can unmask in the theater but mask up in the lobby.

This is pretty much the new norm. The masks are just for show. I went through the airport this week and people were masked up, but likewise, on a plane you can take it off to eat. The guy next to me had a box of cheeze-its open for the entire flight...

I've been back on the road this week. It's been interesting.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
FedEx driver:
"Please, God, don't let me have any deliveries for M today.

Please, God, don't let me have any deliveries for M today.

Shit!!!"

IMG_20210505_165243658_BURST000_COVER_TOP_45.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
FedEx driver:
"Please, God, don't let me have any deliveries for M today.

Shit!!!"

View attachment 49271
How in the fuck do you include American Pie on a disc with Big Lebowski? Never mind Monty Python.

That's like a dvd with Dr. Strangelove and The Blues Brothers (which is already a weird combo), but then you throw Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill movie on there. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

@M

20 Year Member
Usually there's a common theme, genre at least, in the multi-movie sets; that particular one was billed as "Spotlight on Iconic Comedy" I think. I was just going to buy the single release of The Meaning of Life, but, I usually check with a search to see if a movie is bundled with others too, to get a better deal on films I don't already have (whether I actually want those other movies or not is irrelevant, I am M after all.)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Spider-Man Far From Home finally hit netflix Japan, so I figured why not.

A very well-crafted chunk of absolute shit. Fucking awful. Terrible story, terrible characters. Fucking dismal.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spider-Man Far From Home finally hit netflix Japan, so I figured why not.

A very well-crafted chunk of absolute shit. Fucking awful. Terrible story, terrible characters. Fucking dismal.
Raimi's Spider-Man 3 was far superior.

@M

20 Year Member
Is that the one with Mysterio?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I watched Under The Silver Lake and... it's very good, indeed. Incel- and pop-culture were seldomly, if ever, better depicted and pilloried as here. Maybe too much so, cause in the end, despite its gorgeous production values and style, the film will be a bitter two hours and twenty minutes spent for any viewer who takes a deeper dive under the Silver Lake. That's because the contemporary Travis Bickle one follows into his abyss, Sam, is basically a misogynic, child-beating, homeless-hating jerk-off with no hope for redemption. It's still kind of a fascinating ride, and though I don't agree with everything David Robert Mitchell introduced, his effort easily deserves to be titled as the new Fight Club.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched Under The Silver Lake and... it's very good, indeed. Incel- and pop-culture were seldomly, if ever, better depicted and pilloried as here. Maybe too much so, cause in the end, despite its gorgeous production values and style, the film will be a bitter two hours and twenty minutes spent for any viewer who takes a deeper dive under the Silver Lake. That's because the contemporary Travis Bickle one follows into his abyss, Sam, is basically a misogynic, child-beating, homeless-hating jerk-off with no hope for redemption. It's still kind of a fascinating ride, and though I don't agree with everything David Robert Mitchell introduced, his effort easily deserves to be titled as the new Fight Club.
Not influential on the generation even close to enough to be a Fight Club. The zeitgeistian Fight Club of 2021 will be completely meme, to the level of The Emoji Movie, but with the dankness that Emoji Movie lacked.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I am fine with shitting on the new Spidey movies but the Raimi movies are not good at all and never were.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Search your feelings, Lonsage. You know it to be true.

LEAVE SPIDAH MAN ALONE BECAUSE THIS IS NEW YOWHK OR SOMETHING

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Mitchells vs the Machines

Nothing new. This is basically Zombieland but with robots. It was fairly funny, but nothing absolutely hilarious.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Not influential on the generation even close to enough to be a Fight Club. The zeitgeistian Fight Club of 2021 will be completely meme, to the level of The Emoji Movie, but with the dankness that Emoji Movie lacked.
I thought The Art of Self Defense was a good spiritual sequel/modern update to Fight Club but barely anyone saw it either.

Reactions: jro

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Under the Silver Lake is great but I'd never compare it to Fight Club in any way. FC was so popular when it came out that every disillusioned whiney douche in my school thought it was the deepest thing they'd ever seen and that it was a literal call to action to destroy modern society for about a month.

Nobody is going to be quoting UTSL 20+ years from now. I don't even know anybody irl aside from myself who's even heard of it let alone bothered to watch it.

On another note: I wonder how many of these shit box movies M keeps buying are even in widescreen, judging by the packaging I'm gonna say not a lot. Not to mention even if they are just DVD those 20 movie boxsets cram like 5 movies on each disc so the compression has to be horrible.

@M

20 Year Member
Some are widescreen, some aren't, I don't pay much attention to that. I was thinking the same thing with those 20 horror movies though: four movies on each disc, usually, they don't put more than 2 movies on one disc (the Godfathers and Big Lewbowski/American Pie/Meaning of Life are all on individual discs though). Eh, the horror collection was only 14 bucks. Quality can't be worse than my GBA cartridge version of Shrek, right? 😂 That reminds me, I don't have any Shrek movies on DVD...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Some are widescreen, some aren't, I don't pay much attention to that.
You just keep adding new levels to your depravity.

About Under the Silver Lake: It's about ten billion times better a movie than Fight Club. It's closer to David Lynch than Chuck Palahniuk.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You just keep adding new levels to your depravity.

About Under the Silver Lake: It's about ten billion times better a movie than Fight Club. It's closer to David Lynch than Chuck Palahniuk.
Few understand this.

Fight Club is hard to watch now. It’s been hard to watch for over 10 years now. It has aged poorly.

But who wants to talk about Under the Silver Lake? If you find someone who does want to discuss it, there’s a high chance you would rather die than listen to that person

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
LEAVE SPIDAH MAN ALONE BECAUSE THIS IS NEW YOWHK OR SOMETHING
See, I get it. Because I cringed as well during those scenes when I was 14. But looking back I can see Raimi was intentionally hamming it up with some hoo-rah post 9/11 American solidarity.

And then he absolutely killed it in the sequel with the subway train scene.

I'm just a big Raimi fan.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
See, I get it. Because I cringed as well during those scenes when I was 14. But looking back I can see Raimi was intentionally hamming it up with some hoo-rah post 9/11 American solidarity.

And then he absolutely killed it in the sequel with the subway train scene.

I'm just a big Raimi fan.
Have you ever watched Evil Dead 2?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fuck that, anyone seen "Mindwarp"? With Bruce Campbell?

I'm asking because I have it laying around for like, years, and haven't watched it yet