Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Did you guys see the new Venom trailer?

I know, like M, I’m going to enjoy the movie as a piece of disposable entertainment.

But I’m wondering will they even be able to do Carnage justice in a PG13 setting?
They're doing a Venom sequel? They're going to make poor Tom Hardy be in another one?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They're doing a Venom sequel? They're going to make poor Tom Hardy be in another one?
They're also doing another movie in that universe, a Morbius the Living Vampire film starring Jared Leto. It's actually been done since 2019, was supposed to release last year, but now they're waiting until after Venom 2 because they think Venom 2 will be a bigger deal. Also they're fliming a TV series set in the same universe starring Silk later this year.

The first movie did an absurd 856 million dollars at the box office on a 100 million dollar budget, so yeah, they're gonna shit out as much of it as they can.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Seriously it did that well? I don't know a single person that saw it and I actually forgot it even existed until I saw it listed on the cable guide a couple weeks ago.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Seriously it did that well? I don't know a single person that saw it and I actually forgot it even existed until I saw it listed on the cable guide a couple weeks ago.
I would really like to know the demographics of people who saw it. I am going to talk out of my ass and guess its largest market are tweens. My 12 year old students here liked it when it came out. "Aaron, do you like Venom?" Yeah kid, I did, once.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Do students typically address their teachers by their first name in China or is that just something you choose to do?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's something I chose. It's normal to address them either with Teacher or (Family Name) Teacher (ex: Wang Teacher). No more discussion of this.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I would really like to know the demographics of people who saw it. I am going to talk out of my ass and guess its largest market are tweens. My 12 year old students here liked it when it came out. "Aaron, do you like Venom?" Yeah kid, I did, once.

I saw it.

I see all the Marvel Movies in the theater.

It’s disposable entertainment, like video games. I’d love for them to release more comic films that were, well, good. But until then I’ll enjoy my trash films.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Pretty sure I saw Venom on a plane. Being held hostage 30,000 feet in the air was about the only way it was gonna happen. Venom (and all of its stupid knockoffs) has always been a garbage character but if it means Tom Hardy is flush and can do whatever he wants, I don't mind. Give the kids and the Chinese their 90s edgelord Spiderman.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Gays and lesbians. Seriously. There's apparently a pretty overt dom/sub allegory throughout the movie, and once word got out, all they gays went on a gay parade to watch the gay Spider-Man movie. My question is why they didn't get a real gay guy and a real extra terrestrial dom to play those roles.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
who wants to watch an ambivalent and conflicted Venom? Either be a badass or dont....

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The back of this Spaceballs 4K disc case reads
Brooksfilms presents Mel Brooks' Spaceballs Starring Mel Brooks

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Gays and lesbians. Seriously. There's apparently a pretty overt dom/sub allegory throughout the movie, and once word got out, all they gays went on a gay parade to watch the gay Spider-Man movie. My question is why they didn't get a real gay guy and a real extra terrestrial dom to play those roles.
lol...wut? The movie is about a fucking alone symbiote who is only one step removed from a shark in terms of instinct.

that’s wild.

@M

20 Year Member
What stupid shit did M buy this time (we adopted a talking mouse edition)?

IMG_20210511_152342752_40.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
lol...wut? The movie is about a fucking alone symbiote who is only one step removed from a shark in terms of instinct.

that’s wild.

Random post I found. I’ll ask my friend for a better explanation.

@M

20 Year Member
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

Brilliant sequel that continues the story of the first film (Duplo invasion!) and reaches a very satisfying and heartfelt conclusion. LEGO silliness aside (a starship crewed by velociraptors!), it's really a story about a little sister just wanting her older brother to love and play with her (I've got three younger sisters, so, that speaks to me). Wonderful LEGO designs throughout (man, I want the sets based on this film now). Batman even finds love. Lots of fun cameos and inside jokes. End credits and soundtrack are awesome and the making-of bonus featurette was cool too. 10/10 bricks.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
One day someone is going to pop The Kid's like cherry and I wanna be there to see it.
It will probably be Taiso writing an unhinged rant about Conan x Gundam, or how Robotech from the 1980s was the closest representation of human freedom.