Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Should go back to Greece. It’s a great country to vacation in.

At this point, any real travelling will be a few years from now. Melissa is in the last term of her post grad and she will have to get a good job after that.

But we have some places in mind.

England again, for sure. Now that I understand European history circa the middle ages, I simply MUST go and visit them.

France, for the same reason.

Greece, of course.

Italy. Holy shit, Italy.

Japan someday. China maybe.

A few other places.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
A calculated risk that life has demanded I take.

I'm not immeasurably wealthy.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
MAKARAGA (Moon Over Tao) , 1997 . A Keita Amemiya film, who did work on various tokusatsu stuff (props and monster design i guess) recommended to me by Stefan a few weeks ago since I like Super Sentai shit.

1622618571843.png

Half samurai cowboy flick, half tokusatsu. Has a nice English dub that I found charming-- I'm assuming from the mouth movements that this is more than a translation and was released this way originally but I might just be seeing things. This movie is 90s upped, with some unnecessarily bad but amusing CGI-- the movie could likely survive with all or most of this CGI stuff completely cut out. There are enough scenes of the actual physical prop of Makaraga (physical props/costumes being where the meat of these works are) to make the CGI of it just an annoying addition tand not a showstopper for the main villain's presentation entirely, thankfully. Costumes are great, there's a scene in the beginning where pressurized water sprays like blood out of some mask that the female alien characters are wearing which was cool. Slasher elements are welcome in this way with lots of blood-geysers and sword violence.

1622618418284.png
1622618429602.png

Cinematography and lighting was also very good. Acting was pretty good for the type of movie that it is, I guess, which helped the dubbing. I tend to like English dubs but I imagine the majority of the people-- Sodom types-- watching these films don't enjoy them, hard to say

I'll be watching MECHANICAL VIOLATOR HAKAIDER tomorrow night I think, another Amemiya film

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)

Yet another I never watched in its' entirety until now. There's some silliness to the logistics of the storyline and time travel, but, you just have to roll with it to enjoy the film. Some people hate on this third movie, but, I feel that it's a satisfying continuation of the first two films. I liked seeing Skynet's origins (especially the smaller Hunter Killer prototypes in action) and the beginning of the war against humanity in more detail. There are some great action sequences (I liked the crane chase the best) and funny bits (naked Arnold getting his new duds from a male stripper at a bar during ladies night). The CG still holds up too in my opinion. 8.5/10.0 doomsday bunkers.

Ever wonder what Skynet would do if it did successfully completely eliminate humans? I like to think robotopia would be converting Earth into Cybertron and Skynet's machines evolving into Transformers. 😃

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Kristana Loken is thicc in that movie.

I saw her in real life at a con once. That movie does not do her justice. She was absolutely fuckin stunning.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Nick Stahl was the only thing worth watching in T3 and he's much hotter in Larry Clark's "Bully"

There is in fact only one Terminator movie. I will watch T2 but I don't really like it. Arnold looks too old, the message is too sappy and gay and human and he's not wearing 85mm Gargoyles

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Everything about T2000 was wrong to me. Especially as we see where drone tech has gone. Life is going out of business. Soon ai will terraform and colonize at incredible rates.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
But different. See Aliens is plausible. It isn’t Simple Jack retarded.

why would an AI from the future send back a liquid terminator that constantly tries to look human, when a super small terminator mosquito would be unstoppable? Imagine if it just made a swarm of mosquitos, and they would fly into your ear and control you before you die. Hell, it could kill and reanimate you like a zombie.

but wayland sending a crew to retract its precious alien samples? I get that. I’m pro alien, and not all about the plural, but I don’t feel as much suspension is needed.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nick Stahl was the only thing worth watching in T3 and he's much hotter in Larry Clark's "Bully"

There is in fact only one Terminator movie. I will watch T2 but I don't really like it. Arnold looks too old, the message is too sappy and gay and human and he's not wearing 85mm Gargoyles

His only real good role was as that Yellow Bastard.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Kristana Loken is thicc in that movie.

I saw her in real life at a con once. That movie does not do her justice. She was absolutely fuckin stunning.
But was she BRAVE!?

Her biggest mistake was working with Uwe Boll.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If we're ruling movies out because they contain stupidity, then there are zero Terminator movies. Satisfied? Cameron is good at visuals and effects, but he has never done any movie that isn't more or less brain dead.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Terminator is macho-- simple, but full of style! Just a badass movie.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
But yeah,

Titanic: 4/10, being generous

The Abyss gets 0/10, total ass-rape of a film

@M

20 Year Member
Terminator: Salvation (2009)

Never saw this one until tonight, my only exposure to it was Hot Toys & Playmates' toy lines (I've still got a T-600 action figure buried in my junk somewhere). This is a different kind of Terminator movie, more of a futuristic war flick, but, that's refreshing and a good thing in my opinion. Setting it in 2018 (not quite historically accurate though, lol), rather than the "present", like the previous three films, gave the creators the freedom to explore post Judgment Day Earth. I had a hard time seeing and listening to Christian Bale's John Conner and not registering him as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I didn't like how quickly the resistance turned on Blair for helping Marcus. CG Schwarzenegger, in his prime, T-800 fight was awesome and I liked the new motorcycle, giant harvester mech, and aquatic worm enemy machine designs too. This movie builds on the previous ones in interesting & satisfying ways. Excellent CG animation & effects throughout. 9.0/10.0

@M

20 Year Member
I do have actual brain damage, but, I also enjoy the escapism of movies, music, etc. and am not overly critical about entertainment or life in general.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I saw Salvation once, and it was only the extended edition to see Moon Bloodgood's jubblies in that one scene. The rest of it was utterly forgettable just like anything after Terminator 2.

Even Dark Fate was shit. And the main Terminator girl, who kinda reminds me of this one girl I was friends with - who I found kinda hot - didn't help.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
MECHANICAL VIOLATOR HAKAIDER , 1995 , Another Amemiya film.

Just like the title seems, Hakaider is walking heavy metal. From what I understand he's a villain normally in the series he's from, so he's playing the anti-hero 'dark knight' role. He is a very handsome cyborg (Dai Matsumoto) who transforms grotesquely into an upgraded, armored version of himself, and destroys shit-- he's kinda like a "Terminator man", and the movie is very upfront about him being the representation of a fallen angel. You'll also possibly find similarities to Judge Dredd, Batman, Ghost Rider, or Robocop.

1622700290789.png

Oh yeah and he rides a motorcycle, has a sawed-off super-shotgun, and he's bulletproof.

The antagonists in the film are portrayed as being a hierophant and angel from Christian mythology-- to properly oppose Hakaider's Lucifer thing-- his name being Michael. His boss/god is a typical faggoty slimy Japanese psycho type who isn't very remarkable, but Michael plays the part of a robot without will who serves prescribed justice.

1622700482808.png

"If you have no will, there is no point in having a life." -- Hakaider, before he splatters a henchman who claims he was following orders.

Hakaider is a free living man who burns justice away. He destroys.

1622701262320.png

Obviously the prop/armor/character design is what shines here, with satisfying color palettes and a suitably dark smoky atmosphere in many scenes. Very well done designs on everything as I've come to expect with Amemiya. I got what I came for in that department, and more

The cinematography was good... interesting, some interesting choices in editing, but overall, a lot of scenes had a certain J-pop music video effect that seemed, maybe, a little ahead of its time for this type of movie. I can't say for sure, because I'm not that familiar with the director or genre, but the surreality of some composed shots were really pleasant and cool. One that comes to mind is a digitally superimposed giant statue of Jesus (?) sticking out from a lush forest background in an "oasis". A 'new age' feel.

There's minimal CGI, and it's tasteful when it's used. There existed a familiar scene that I recognized the structure of from Makaraga only this time it was entirely claymation-- Hakaider included-- which looked like shit and could have been omitted or imagined a little better in order to avoid having a piece of clay represent an actor in the year 1995, but it has its charm valued beyond what it is for the same exact scene in the later, aforementioned film, thanks to the lack of CGI.

There are plenty of combat scenes-- Hakaider's super shotgun blows numerous roboguard heads off, people are gunned down and dragged down the highway by motorcycle, etc. ... the mechanical warriors make loud clanking sounds whenever they walk, and it's cool, it intentionally creates an exaggerated ringing effect when metal makes contact with metal in a fight, so the director is aware that it's ridiculous and he uses it to his advantage. The splatter violence elements are strong, I got my rocks off & it's great, but I'd have liked to see one or two more explicitly blood-oriented scenes in the film.

1622701187854.png

Very enjoyable, will be watching more of these types of films.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
I was just talking about Salvation with a friend of mine in France, and he told me that the original script had John Conner dying on the operating table, after being run through by Arnie, and Marcus then literally taking his face and behaving like him, to keep the legend, and hope, alive for the resistance. That would have been an interesting twist.