Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
IMG_20210603_170523669_40.jpg

New DVDs.

I've seen Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight before and enjoyed it, but, I don't think I've experienced Bordello of Blood--I like Dennis Miller though.

I used to watch and loved the Tales from the Darkside TV show when I was a kid (when I actually managed to stay awake long enough to see it that is, it was on pretty late)--I'm surprised it lasted 4 seasons and 90 episodes (12 discs worth!) Some of them were legitimately scary, others thought-provoking or corny, but, it was a fun program and I'm psyched to have the entire run on DVD.

Ready Player One just looked cool to me in a trailer I saw on one of my other DVDs that I watched recently, and it was cheap, so, I figured why not?

@M

20 Year Member
He got kind of fruity on FOX News, but, I used to enjoy his standup routines, books, and HBO show in his younger days.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dennis Miller belongs in the thread about people laughing at jokes they don't get. His entire career is built around dumb people making themselves feel smarter by laughing at references they've never heard of. I've seen clips of his show (because Norm MacDonald was on) and listened to the people who call in stumble through a simple sentence relating a completely hair-brained thought. These are people who could not name three countries in Europe, much less tell you who Wassily Kandinsky was. So there is a 0% chance they are getting his "jokes".

But to be honest, that kind of fascinates me. He's spent decades doing this, and the feelings of imposter syndrome he must be experiencing have to be crushing. How does he keep going when every day must feel like the day people will and should finally expose him as a fraud?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dennis Miller is a fucking wacko. He was always an annoying pompous douche but after 911 he went batshit crazy.

M will love Ready Player One, it's right up his alley. Total headache inducing CG garbage.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
but after 911 he went batshit crazy.
You're thinking of Frank Miller, not Dennis Miller. Dennis Miller's politics have stayed very consistent all the way back to his SNL days (another great example of people knee jerk laughing at things that aren't funny). I think the wackiness is just him playing to his FOX audience. Which he refers to as his bread & butter when his mask slips while talking to Norm or whoever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Maybe I just didn't pay attention before then. I used to listen to his radio show at work for a little bit hoping to hear his friends and he was full on "turn the middle east to glass, Bush is doing gods work" in between talking about Val Lewton movies and referencing Tolstoy. I didn't remember him doing that on his HBO show.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I enjoy classic horror anthology shows. Tales from the Darkside, Tales From the Crypt, The Outer Limits, Monsters, and obviously Twilight Zone. M didn't do terrible this time, though Ready Player One is trash.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I looked at Dick Miller's wiki two days ago and felt sad he died two and a half years ago. I thought he was still alive.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You're thinking of Frank Miller, not Dennis Miller. Dennis Miller's politics have stayed very consistent all the way back to his SNL days (another great example of people knee jerk laughing at things that aren't funny). I think the wackiness is just him playing to his FOX audience. Which he refers to as his bread & butter when his mask slips while talking to Norm or whoever.
Jon Lovitz is the same. Fox is his bread and butter audience. It’s smart to look for markets that are under represented. In comedy, it’s Republicans, starved for comedy, ready to laugh at anything that makes them feel validated.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Larry Miller was great as the doorman in that Seinfeld episode, and in that Aqua Teen episode where Carl sees his alternate reality self. The Larry Miller Hair System. Never saw his stand-up though.

PS: wasabi is up early, have a good Friday breakfast buddy

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Jon Lovitz is the same. Fox is his bread and butter audience. It’s smart to look for markets that are under represented. In comedy, it’s Republicans, starved for comedy, ready to laugh at anything that makes them feel validated.
Yeah, exactly. I don't really hold it against former celebrities fighting the slide into irrelevance by carving out a space for themselves pandering to idiots. They have to do something with their lives to keep the bills paid. People aren't beating the doors down to listen to Lovitz's questionable stand up abilities and he's never going to be asked to be in another sketch show, sitcom or movie, so his options are limited.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched both A Quiet Place movies over the course of the week. First one was like a big budget experimental film. The second one is a continuation of a story that had more or less run its course. I enjoyed both of them for a number of reasons... the varying ways in which they use sound to tell a story/build tension. Heavily featuring ASL/sign language in a way that makes sense for the story is really interesting. The first one more or less only having four characters for 95+% of the runtime. Both movies being a tight 90 minutes (like most horror and comedy movies should be). And it knows the secret of any good monster movie: keep the monster hidden as much as possible and don't over-explain it.

That said, the second movie is definitely inferior and I hope they move on after this (though it will be difficult when they make a shitload of money). Cillian Murphy's character just seems like a plot contrivance, the monsters are more inconvenience than antagonist and, most importantly, I honestly don't care what happens to those characters after the first movie. They were well-written archetypes in the first movie but they were there to tell a specific story. Anything past that just seemed needlessly tacked on.

As much as I normally hate the idea, this would've been better served as a TV show/limited streaming show if they wanted to write a single, continuing story about one family trying to survive in this universe.

@M

20 Year Member
Only one DVD delivery today, but, it's a 4-in-1 Adam Sandler collection. I think I would have preferred Little Nicky and The Wedding Singer to Click & Mr. Deeds, but, only time will tell. 50 First Dates is the one I'm most interested in seeing.

IMG_20210605_141832872_34.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Click hit like a punch to the gut. Lots of guys cry during two scenes. It's OK to cry, M.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Adam Sandler is a criminal.

Watched Hot Shots! and Hot Shots Part Deux today. Hadn't seen either of these in years and like a lot of things from childhood they don't hold up so well. Still some gold in there but there has to be by the sheer number of references and and gags. To the point where it was aggravating because they literally never stop. There is always, always something wacky going on. It was weird seeing John Cryer and Sheen together in the first movie and I forgot how funny Lloyd Bridges is in these.

The second one holds up a little better as it's just a better made movie. Neither are good Zucker Bros. at their best level.

Fuck me Valeria Golino, Brenda Bakke and Kristy Swanson were all hot as hell.

If I can muster the fortitude I will watch Loaded Gun and Fatal Instinct tomorrow.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Watched both A Quiet Place movies over the course of the week. First one was like a big budget experimental film. The second one is a continuation of a story that had more or less run its course. I enjoyed both of them for a number of reasons... the varying ways in which they use sound to tell a story/build tension. Heavily featuring ASL/sign language in a way that makes sense for the story is really interesting. The first one more or less only having four characters for 95+% of the runtime. Both movies being a tight 90 minutes (like most horror and comedy movies should be). And it knows the secret of any good monster movie: keep the monster hidden as much as possible and don't over-explain it.

That said, the second movie is definitely inferior and I hope they move on after this (though it will be difficult when they make a shitload of money). Cillian Murphy's character just seems like a plot contrivance, the monsters are more inconvenience than antagonist and, most importantly, I honestly don't care what happens to those characters after the first movie. They were well-written archetypes in the first movie but they were there to tell a specific story. Anything past that just seemed needlessly tacked on.

As much as I normally hate the idea, this would've been better served as a TV show/limited streaming show if they wanted to write a single, continuing story about one family trying to survive in this universe.
I had no idea the sequel was out or forgot it existed entirely. I have a thing for Emily Blunt so I want to see it. But venturing out into the movie theater seems like a sort of risk where I am. Man I have gotten so used to streaming at home. But this "might" actually get me into the theater.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Adam Sandler is a criminal.

Watched Hot Shots! and Hot Shots Part Deux today. Hadn't seen either of these in years and like a lot of things from childhood they don't hold up so well. Still some gold in there but there has to be by the sheer number of references and and gags. To the point where it was aggravating because they literally never stop. There is always, always something wacky going on. It was weird seeing John Cryer and Sheen together in the first movie and I forgot how funny Lloyd Bridges is in these.

The second one holds up a little better as it's just a better made movie. Neither are good Zucker Bros. at their best level.

Fuck me Valeria Golino, Brenda Bakke and Kristy Swanson were all hot as hell.

If I can muster the fortitude I will watch Loaded Gun and Fatal Instinct tomorrow.
Are all 4 of these movies on the same $5 mega dvd?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I had no idea the sequel was out or forgot it existed entirely. I have a thing for Emily Blunt so I want to see it. But venturing out into the movie theater seems like a sort of risk where I am. Man I have gotten so used to streaming at home. But this "might" actually get me into the theater.
Hey.

Back off. Back the fuck off.

Emily is MINE.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Are all 4 of these movies on the same $5 mega dvd?
Hah, they probably are actually.

Wanted Dead or Alive- Rutger Hauer plays a harmonica obsessed bounty hunter after Gene Simmons who play a middle eastern
terrorist. Is it good? no. Is it awesome? yes.