Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood- Maybe Tarantinos most well made movie from a technical standpoint. Lots of attention to detail, great casting and extremely well edited. Also probably his most reserved movie especially as far as dialogue goes. Obviously shit gets crazy as fuck in the end. However he really ramped up the foot fetish shit and puts it right out there. Also it's long as fuck but the pacing is great and it just kind of glides along. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spiderman: Far From Home- Well it's more Spidey and I'm okay with that. It's little smaller in scope and more focused story wise compared to the other Marvel stuff which is nice and I liked Gyllenhaal as Mysterio but the drone shit was dumb as fuck and they just couldn't help but use that as an excuse to have Spidey fighting yet another swarm of fodder that just makes you check out mentally just like almost every other modern super hero movie.

None of the best comic movies have this nonsense. The obligatory headache inducing CG army is just lazy and tired as fuck.

Just watch Into the Spiderverse.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Spiderman: Far From Home- Well it's more Spidey and I'm okay with that. It's little smaller in scope and more focused story wise compared to the other Marvel stuff which is nice and I liked Gyllenhaal as Mysterio but the drone shit was dumb as fuck and they just couldn't help but use that as an excuse to have Spidey fighting yet another swarm of fodder that just makes you check out mentally just like almost every other modern super hero movie.
That movie was fucking awful. Horrible in general, horrible representation of the character. When I see people saying Holland is the best Peter Parker or whatever, I have to wonder what Spider-Man comics they've ever read, if any.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
That movie was fucking awful. Horrible in general, horrible representation of the character. When I see people saying Holland is the best Peter Parker or whatever, I have to wonder what Spider-Man comics they've ever read, if any.
Being better than Tobey or Garfield is an extremely low bar.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Being better than Tobey or Garfield is an extremely low bar.
He isn't better than Tobey, so he doesn't even clear that bar. Peter Parker has one, central driving trait. And it's completely missing from every movie Holland's Spider-Man has ever appeared in. That's not the actor's fault, but the character as written is shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Him making a joke about his dick being a web shooter might be the lowest point since the dancing in 3.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
He isn't better than Tobey, so he doesn't even clear that bar. Peter Parker has one, central driving trait. And it's completely missing from every movie Holland's Spider-Man has ever appeared in. That's not the actor's fault, but the character as written is shit.

I fucking HATE this shit. Kid always fucking pulls these shenanigans. He'll say something but not say what it is.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I fucking HATE this shit. Kid also fucking pulls these shenanigans. He'll say something but not say what it is.
Anybody who has read even one Spider-Man comic in the past 50 years knows the Spider-Man quote that has been repeated a million times, nine hundred and fifty thousand times by Stan Lee alone. "With great power comes great responsibility." That's something Peter learned from the death of his uncle, and the guilt from that death has been the driving force behind every decision and sacrifice made by Peter in all the years since.

But not this Peter. Holland's Peter still hasn't learned shit and still continually tries to avoid or squirm out from under any responsibility for anything. Holland's character is the complete anti-Peter Parker. He thinks about what he wants first, and everybody else a distant also-ran, if at all. I thought maybe they were working it so that by the end of Homecoming he'd reach the epiphany that is Peter's single defining trait. But nope. In Far From Home, he's even worse than he was before. I thought Keaton was interesting as a version of Vulture, but otherwise, both MCU/Sony collaboration Spider-Man movies are fucking abysmal. Milf (Ailf?) Aunt May is also part of the problem and a reason Peter doesn't need to take on any responsibility. What is the point of Aunt May if Peter doesn't have to worry about her or struggle to help take care of her? Goth MJ would be a great character in a completely unrelated movie. No one in these movies fill the roles in the story that they're supposed to.

Which, okay, fine. There are always going to be liberties taken when adapting comics to movies. But the MCU Spider-Man is possibly the most removed from the source material out of ALL MCU movies made so far, so I'm sick of people saying Holland is the best Peter Parker or whatever. He doesn't even qualify as a contender. That fucking 1970s live action tv bullshit version is a billion times closer to the character.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have never watched a Spider-Man movie (except Italian Spider-Man). Hearing the gripes is pretty funny though.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I haven't seen any of the Spider-Man films made in the last 20 years. As far as superhero films made in recent years, I've watched two of the three Dark Knight Trilogy films.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Anybody who has read even one Spider-Man comic in the past 50 years knows the Spider-Man quote that has been repeated a million times, nine hundred and fifty thousand times by Stan Lee alone. "With great power comes great responsibility." That's something Peter learned from the death of his uncle, and the guilt from that death has been the driving force behind every decision and sacrifice made by Peter in all the years since.

But not this Peter. Holland's Peter still hasn't learned shit and still continually tries to avoid or squirm out from under any responsibility for anything. Holland's character is the complete anti-Peter Parker. He thinks about what he wants first, and everybody else a distant also-ran, if at all. I thought maybe they were working it so that by the end of Homecoming he'd reach the epiphany that is Peter's single defining trait. But nope. In Far From Home, he's even worse than he was before. I thought Keaton was interesting as a version of Vulture, but otherwise, both MCU/Sony collaboration Spider-Man movies are fucking abysmal. Milf (Ailf?) Aunt May is also part of the problem and a reason Peter doesn't need to take on any responsibility. What is the point of Aunt May if Peter doesn't have to worry about her or struggle to help take care of her? Goth MJ would be a great character in a completely unrelated movie. No one in these movies fill the roles in the story that they're supposed to.

Which, okay, fine. There are always going to be liberties taken when adapting comics to movies. But the MCU Spider-Man is possibly the most removed from the source material out of ALL MCU movies made so far, so I'm sick of people saying Holland is the best Peter Parker or whatever. He doesn't even qualify as a contender. That fucking 1970s live action tv bullshit version is a billion times closer to the character.
I actually do like Holland's Peter/Spider-man, but I do agree that the Great Power talk is sorely missing, and affects the character detrimentally. They tried to church it up in the first movie (or maybe it was Civil War?) and he says something to the effect of the phrase, but it's more like "I feel I should do something with these powers.." or some shit.

But yeah, they really do need that with Uncle Ben, and while Marisa Tomei is sooo fucking adorable/hot as a young AILFy Aunt May, she does need to be older. The lady that played her in the Raimi movies was pretty great as her.

But back to Peter.. the way I internally rationalize it is because he didn't get the talk from Ben Parker, he's aimless. He's new to his powers, quite literally. In Civil War he tells Tony that he's had them for about 6 months. So he's still figuring stuff out. Doesn't know his own strength, or how to act like a hero. He just wants to do good and help people, and simply botches it out there. I also like that, because Peter is so new to the whole super-hero/powers world, he's just in awe of everything around him.

In Civil War when Bucky tries to punch him and he catches his fist - he geeks out and exclaims "woah you have a metal arm!?" He's a noob. Hes a kid. What, 15, 16, in the MCU?

Yes, it doesn't excuse that he's not the best Peter/Spider-man. But I think it sort of puts a band-aid on the obvious way they finally got to shoe-horn Spidey into the MCU.

I have a feeling they are going to really milk the introduction of the X-Men into the MCU in order to 'do it right.'

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Holland's Peter still hasn't learned shit and still continually tries to avoid or squirm out from under any responsibility for anything. Holland's character is the complete anti-Peter Parker. He thinks about what he wants first, and everybody else a distant also-ran, if at all. I thought maybe they were working it so that by the end of Homecoming he'd reach the epiphany that is Peter's single defining trait. But nope. In Far From Home, he's even worse than he was before.
Totally. I really noticed it in FFH, the shit he says is so whiney and selfish I want to punch him every time time he opens his mouth. Spidey is supposed to be annoying and have self doubt but he's not a selfish little bitch. Like you said I thought maybe they'd have him learn from Tony or even Nick Fury but no. They both flat out tell him why he isn't ready to be an Avenger and it goes in one ear and out the other by the next scene.

Aunt May Whom I'd Like to Fuck's mollycoddling is also the opposite of what she's supposed to be. Am emotional support but also someone there to remind him to man the fuck up.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
the dancing scene made me walk out of the theater, and I was like, a literal child

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Rider- From the director of Nomadland, I believe this was the one she made before that and I found it a much better film. The emotional connection was a lot more relatable and the subject was just better overall. It's about a cowboy that gets a life threatening head injury coming to terms with not being able to ride again. I don't know that I would necessarily recommend it but it is a very well made film.

It's slow as hell though so be warned.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Rider- From the director of Nomadland, I believe this was the one she made before that and I found it a much better film. The emotional connection was a lot more relatable and the subject was just better overall. It's about a cowboy that gets a life threatening head injury coming to terms with not being able to ride again. I don't know that I would necessarily recommend it but it is a very well made film.

It's slow as hell though so be warned.
Oscars got banned here because of that director.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i still like holland over maguire, mainly because maguire is just not likable to me.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Rust Creek - inoffensively bland for the most part. Several badly-written scenes kept it from being more engaging, but the bad guys were solid enough to keep me watching it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood- Not bad, one of the better projects that came out in the wake of Mr. Rogers death. Hanks was an obvious but solid choice and if they ever make a movie about John Ritter the main actor needs to play him. I liked the dream sequence and the miniature transitions.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Anastasia (1997)

I think I watched some of this many years ago, I certainly remembered Rasputin (worst World Heroes film adaptation ever!) and his white bat sidekick, Bartok. Excellent hand drawn animation (enhanced by CG), rivalling and even surpassing Disney. Top notch voice talent (Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Christopher Lloyd, Kelsey Grammer, Angela Lansbury, Hank Azaria, etc.) and fantastic soundtrack and musical numbers. I'd say it'd appeal more to the female demographic as it's a story about a young woman finding her past, family, place in the world, and, ultimately, love. I liked Rasputin and Bartok, and the associated underworld and demonic imagery, but, I think the movie would work just as well without all of those supernatural aspects. Sing-a-longs and making of featurettes were good as well, but, I would have liked to see some background on the real Anastasia and Rasputin too--that's probably too dark for kids though. 8.5/10 dancing albino bats.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
To add to the Holland spiderman discussion I'll say that while we really didn't need an origin story for his spiderman for the thousandth time, it does suck we don't have one. It does feel like somethings missing and no uncle ben means no goal and life lessons, lessoning the impact of the character.

Also the suit. And his powers. I sometimes can't tell if its his spidy powers or the suit tony gave him that give him his superstrength. What powers does the suit give him? Breath in space, mechanical arms, instant kill? Is that part of his spider sense or not? His arm hair raised in infinity war and knew the gaurdians were coming, he sensed ant man in civil war and ducked winter soldiers attack. But in the latest movie he lost his spider sense and had to remaster it to beat mysterio. Which suit is the endgame suit and the regular one? Both give him extra abilities. Just kinda all over the place for me.

Last edited: