Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
MCU Spider-Man origin story:

Disney worked out a deal with Sony so suddenly, a moronic Tony Stark who is responsible for every bad thing that's happened since Avengers 2 but thinks everyone else should suffer the same punishment as him actively recruits a teenage Peter Parker to go fight Captain America at an airport in Germany.

These movies are stupid.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Anastasia (1997)

I think I watched some of this many years ago, I certainly remembered Rasputin (worst World Heroes film adaptation ever!) and his white bat sidekick, Bartok. Excellent hand drawn animation (enhanced by CG), rivalling and even surpassing Disney. Top notch voice talent (Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Christopher Lloyd, Kelsey Grammer, Angela Lansbury, Hank Azaria, etc.) and fantastic soundtrack and musical numbers. I'd say it'd appeal more to the female demographic as it's a story about a young woman finding her past, family, place in the world, and, ultimately, love. I liked Rasputin and Bartok, and the associated underworld and demonic imagery, but, I think the movie would work just as well without all of those supernatural aspects. Sing-a-longs and making of featurettes were good as well, but, I would have liked to see some background on the real Anastasia and Rasputin too--that's probably too dark for kids though. 8.5/10 dancing albino bats.
You actually picked a good one. Don Bluth film. He also did An American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, Titan AE, The Land Before Time, and All Dogs Go to Heaven, in addition to the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace games.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yeah, Don Bluth did some amazing stuff. Rasputin selling his soul, his rotting and falling apart body, and final death were definitely Dragon's Lair-esque in this film.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Rental- Horror movie about 2 couples on vacation where everything spirals predictably out of control. Directed by James Francos little brother, so yeah it's shit. Only watched because Alison Brie was in it.

The Blackcoats's Daughter- Horror movie about 2 girls stranded at a remote boarding school and things go predictable out of control. Directed by Anthony Perkins son Osmond. Some good atmosphere and he messes with non linear storytelling but also predictable. Not terrible but not great.

The Hole in the Ground- Horror movie about a woman and her young son that move to a rural village in ireland the kid disappears into the wood behind the house where there is the titular hole. Kid comes back and starts acting weird predictable but good performances. Best of the 3 but still not very good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Rental- Horror movie about 2 couples on vacation where everything spirals predictably out of control. Directed by James Francos little brother, so yeah it's shit. Only watched because Alison Brie was in it.

Alison Franco.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
+1 on Bluth being a god of western animation, far better than the industry deserved.

The secret of Nimh is a wonderful adaptation of the children's novel Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH. A great visualization of the novel's concepts and ideas and arguably just as good as the book, if not better.

Dragon's Lair is essential heroic storytelling. A knight in over his head enters a Dante-esque imagining of a castle that is a literary place holder of Hell to rescue Princess Daphne from the clutches of an evil sorcerer's pet dragon. The game doesn't need an origin story-everything is so archetypal that it's easy to imagine Dirk as the only one brave enough to ignore society's warnings and go in to do what supposedly more capable knights are too afraid to do. If written by GRRM, I imagine 'Dirk the Daring' would be a jape levied on him by his resentful peers.

Bluth is a thinking man. Even if he doesn't get into the weeds as much as my little write up imagines him doing so, he is interested in telling stories meant to last, not selling emotional validation in one hand and childish grievance in the other to a witless youth whose parents stopped paying attention to them and passed the buck on to the fashionable boogeyman of the hour.

famicommander

15 Year Member
She was really good in GLOW. GLOW in general is really good, except they canceled it on a third season cliffhanger in true Netflix fashion. Well, first they renewed it for season 4, then taped a few episodes, THEN canceled it because they figured it would be way too long before they could resume filming in the pandemic.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
She was really good in GLOW. GLOW in general is really good, except they canceled it on a third season cliffhanger in true Netflix fashion. Well, first they renewed it for season 4, then taped a few episodes, THEN canceled it because they figured it would be way too long before they could resume filming in the pandemic.
Glow wasn’t good on the last season. They lost the feeling of the first.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Glow wasn’t good on the last season. They lost the feeling of the first.
There wasn't enough wrestling, that's true, but I thought it was still really good overall.

Awesome Kong/Kia Stevens (the actress who played Welfare Queen), the only real wrestler among the main cast, turned out to be a very talented actress. Her wrestling character was pretty one-note as an unstoppable monster and it was shocking to see the range she has on display in this show. I hope she gets more acting work as she's in her 40s now and can't be a week to week wrestler anymore.

@M

20 Year Member
New DVDs.
IMG_20210616_171231640_34.jpg
The Dark Tower

I love the Stephen King novels, and knew, going in, that there was no way a single movie would be able to do the epic source material justice and managed my expectations accordingly. I think the two biggest problems are that they tried to shoehorn in too many elements, from multiple books, at once (omitting and changing a lot too), and that they focused more on Jake than Roland. Unless you're going to do a huge, multi-movie affair, a TV series would have been a more realistic approach. All that said, I did like the film, but, I think people who haven't read the books, and don't already know what's supposed to be going on, would have a very different experience than I did. Idris Elba made for a decent Roland and Matthew McConaughey was a great Man in Black--his portrayal and powers struck me as more Sith Lord than sorcerer though. Bonus making-of featurettes and bloopers were OK too. Satisfying in some ways, disappointing in others, I give it 7/10 cans of Nozz-A-La Cola.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyone ever seen Cinema Paradiso? Some 1988 Italian movie, it's getting a release in theaters here.

@M

20 Year Member
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Excellent modern reinterpretation of the famous detective. Robert Downey Jr. does a fabulous job of portraying Holmes as an eccentric, and somewhat skeevy, investigator (he's like a cross between Adrian Monk and Captain Jack Sparrow) and Jude Law does an admirable job as the more reserved Dr. Watson. Much more dynamic and interesting than other depictions of Holmes I've seen throughout my life, but, still doesn't lose that classic British mystery feel. Great period look and the soundtrack is pretty good too. The making-of bonus featurette is a solid watch too. I hope the sequel (I bought the 2-pack) is just as good. I give it 9/10 drugged bulldogs.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Leatherface

A retelling of TTCM that isn't very watchable and a waste of time. There's an attractive nurse that gets kidnapped but you don't care when she dies at the end. None of the characters are likeable or very interesting. I only watched it because I've seen every other movie associated with the franchise.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Excellent modern reinterpretation... he's like a cross between Adrian Monk and Captain Jack Sparrow... I give it 9/10
I'm sure you'll love the horrible, horrible sequel as well.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
- It's exactly what an Elvira movie should be. Corny as fuck with horrible puns and double entendres to go along with her amazing cleavage.

The supporting cast of character actors is pretty great, it's like a greatest hits of people that are in literally every movie made between 1975-95 whose name you don't know but recognize.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Phantom Carriage (1921)

really cool triple exposure effects. Decent early use of flashbacks. It drags in places but it’s worth watching - basically a non Xmas Scrooge deal but the Scrooge character is a drunk instead of an old geezer. There are a few things in there that Kubrick borrowed for the Shining.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark- It's exactly what an Elvira movie should be. Corny as fuck with horrible puns and double entendres to go along with her amazing cleavage.

The supporting cast of character actors is pretty great, it's like a greatest hits of people that are in literally every movie made between 1975-95 whose name you don't know but recognize.
Cassandra Peterson is 69 years old (hee hee) and I absofuckinglutely would.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark- It's exactly what an Elvira movie should be. Corny as fuck with horrible puns and double entendres to go along with her amazing cleavage.