Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Luca is ok+. More enjoyable overall for my kids (6 and 3) than the last Pixar film I posted about, Onward, Luca is full of bright and fun visuals throughout.

Although I thought Onward had so much more potential in it's concept it was mostly and unfortunately wasted. Luca doesn't tread much new ground in the plot but does it well with obvious G-rated themes. So for adults it might be a wash. They're both serviceable.

It isn't top shelf Pixar material though. My most recent pick for their upper echelon is Coco.

I guess the main characters are gay or something. My kids like it, so I guess they'll be gay now.

Luca is gay? That movie makes so much more sense now.

I liked it, and Onward and Coco...and Raya.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was just complaining to fami in chat about having to constantly look up words while reading Dune. I don't have time for learning another language!
Right because you totally knew the words Jedi, lightsaber, Tattooine, bantha, wookie, droid, hyperspace, Hutt, Alderaan, X-Wing, etc before you walked in to see Star Wars.

And you knew all about balrogs, Rohan, Gondor, hobbits, Erebor, Minas Tirith, Mordor, Nazgul, wargs, orcs, Dunedain, Isengard, Rivendell, etc before you cracked a Tolkien book.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

My oldest has seen Raya at daycare, I have no idea what it's about. It isn't Pixar though. Have you seen Soul? Haven't been able to watch it, but from what I have read, that one seems like more like the 'something-for-adults-and-kids' Pixar kinda movie I think they traditionally excelled at.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My oldest has seen Raya at daycare, I have no idea what it's about. It isn't Pixar though. Have you seen Soul? Haven't been able to watch it, but from what I have read, that one seems like more like the 'something-for-adults-and-kids' Pixar kinda movie I think they traditionally excelled at.
Oh I didn’t realize Raya wasn’t Pixar.

I did see Soul and I enjoyed it. Kids liked it too. Very much felt like Inside Out with some of the conceptual stuff but easy enough for kids to follow along...I think I liked Inside Out more though.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Right because you totally knew the words Jedi, lightsaber, Tattooine, bantha, wookie, droid, hyperspace, Hutt, Alderaan, X-Wing, etc before you walked in to see Star Wars.

And you knew all about balrogs, Rohan, Gondor, hobbits, Erebor, Minas Tirith, Mordor, Nazgul, wargs, orcs, Dunedain, Isengard, Rivendell, etc before you cracked a Tolkien book.
why so defensive?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I'd argue both Star Wars and the LotR novels were drastically more accessible than Dune.

I mean, for starters, look how self-explanitory half your Star Wars examples are. Lightsaber. Everything you need to know is right in the name. X-Wing, same deal. (An)droid. Short version of a word people already know. Also, think back to how in the original movie, they never said the word "Jedi" without the word "Knight". So, self-explanitory again.

And Tolkien wrote as if he was explaining things to children, since he largely was.

Dune is a completely different beast.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve been reading Jack Vance’s Dying Earth books. They’re set (presumably) a few billion years in the future in the Earth’s last days (as the name implies) and on more than one occasion the characters say “quixotic” which amuses me.

Damn, they still know Cervantes in the ends times? LOL.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched 12 Angry Men (1957) tonight, what a fantastic film. Reminded me of my jury duty experience with a rape case minus the cigarettes. Accurate.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

As much as the internet desperately wants them to be, they're not. It's a movie about friendship and some people are incapable of seeing male friendship as anything but gay.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
As much as the internet desperately wants them to be, they're not. It's a movie about friendship and some people are incapable of seeing male friendship as anything but gay.
Quite annoying if you ask me.

People used to complain about "shipping." If two characters of opposite sex, it was automatically assumed that a romantic relationship would form around that. It became a big deal with (you guessed it) SJWs.

But now, those same SJWs are trying to force shipping on characters of the same sex that are obviously just friends or close friends. Ridiculous. Pick a lane, bitch.

RE: Luca - I enjoyed it bit it was far from the best Pixar film.

Raya: For not being pixar, that shit was tight. I really enjoyed it and actually started liking Awkwafina because of that movie. Well, that and Crazy Rich Asians.

I think ever since Disney started doing their own computer animated moves, specifically with Bolt, they've gotten better and better. I fucking love Bolt.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched The Hunt for Red October and Hereditary tonight.

Red October was great, slim Alec Baldwin and great as always Connery doing a fine job. Now to revisit/start the rest of the Jack Ryan series.

Hereditary was creepy! Always weird hearing an Aussie with an American accent. Not quite Midsommar level which was disappointing. Folk horror needs more life injected into it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Those early Jack Ryan movies have aged pretty badly, Red October and the one with the Colombian drug lord are the best of the bunch.

I know I've seen the new one with the guy from The Office but I'll be damned if I can remember anything about it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Watched 12 Angry Men (1957) tonight, what a fantastic film. Reminded me of my jury duty experience with a rape case minus the cigarettes. Accurate.
Have you ever seen Anatomy of a Murder? Same-ish era, really good.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Bad Samaritan

I really enjoyed this thriller! 2 valets rob the homes of people eating at a restaurant instead of parking the people's cars. They end up attempting to rob the wrong guy discovering he's hiding a terrible secret. This is definitely one to watch if you have prime.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Woodstock '99: Peace, Love and Rage- I remember watching this happen on TV and even when it was first announced that they were gonna do it since WS '94 did well and just thinking what a soulless corporate cash grab this was. Look at the sponsors, the location, the band line up and add half a million white 20 something shirtless dude bros and it's no surprise that it was a total shit show. You throw in almost 100 degree heat, lack of water and no real security... yeah. It deserved to be a train wreck, it's just too bad that all those girls got sexually assaulted.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched Starship Troopers again last night (rifftrax version). God that movie is shit.

Still better than the book tho.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
bro, whut
Yeah man, other than seeing der bewbs in that one scene, it's not great. Even Ironside can't make it better (I honestly never new he was Canadian until I heard his several 'oots' in the film).

But yeah, the book was an absolute slog. One or two cool Powered Armor scenes and... talk. Not a big fan.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Yeah man, other than seeing der bewbs in that one scene, it's not great. Even Ironside can't make it better (I honestly never new he was Canadian until I heard his several 'oots' in the film).

But yeah, the book was an absolute slog. One or two cool Powered Armor scenes and... talk. Not a big fan.
i think this is a bad take, but a better review than my A Quiet Place 2 review.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
i think this is a bad take, but a better review than my A Quiet Place 2 review.

I know im in the minority when it comes to Heinlein's book. And I accept that. I just really hated that book.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Stahship Troopiz, kid. It ain't good.

Srsly, though. Wasn't the book a parody / scathing take on the military industrial complex? And the movie is just "Yeah boys, let's kill the bugs. Also a boob."