Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
That does look promising. But the only other movie of his I've seen, A Ghost Story, had a great central concept but was just okay.

I am seeing it predominantly because it looks to be a pre-Mallory interpretation of the Arthurian myth and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Not that pre-Mallory makes it any better necessarily. It's just that I'm hopeful for it because they've kept the mythical elements such as monsters, talking animals and gianta.

If there's something I DON'T want to see, it's another pseudo-historical take on mythology. I really don't need Hollywood's 'historical fake' on these stories. Give me the gods, give me the adventure, give me the mystery and the danger and the whimsy and the splendor.

I just want interpretations that feel authentic and untouched by modernity, if that makes any sense. A tall order for an industry that can't help but trip over its own feet, and in many cases is actively looking to kick the hat down the hall every time they stoop to pick it up.

Call me incapable of managing my expectations. I prefer to call it 'not settling anymore.' The entertainment industry may not give me what I want but I reserve the right to call it like I see it and just ignore contrary opinions.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Troopers is brain candy. I first watched it at a friend's house and enjoyed it for what it was. Over the top action and comedy.

I what horny thought of Robocop?
I what thought Robocop was great. I also loved Total Recall.

Troopers was, I get it, intentionally bad. I love alien movies. But I just didn't like ST. The Roughnecks cartoon wasn't too bad tho.

It just wasn't that entertaining for me. But as I said - it's leagues better than the book.

Reactions: Syn

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So, you are judging it as an adaptation of the book? I've admittedly never read the novel - but as a film, it's definitely in my "Top 20" alongside films like Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Holy Mountain, Eraserhead, etc. (to give context) - the "bad acting" (which is really similar to something like Lynch, in terms of controlling the dimensions/depth of a character) is intentional in my opinion, much in the same vein of Showgirls. The CGI is limited, as Phil Tippet did an amazing job of working in tons of practical...which I think has aged incredibly well. It's honestly an almost flawless film.

Never read the book. I just think a movie's quality can't hinge solely on being a $100 million dollar inside joke between the director and dopey film hipsters.

And c'mon man... don't insult David Lynch by comparing his actors' work to Casper van Dien and Denise fucking Richards, an actor so awful she couldn't even be a convincing Bond girl which requires all the range of a plank of wood in a bikini.

Showgirls is garbage too. And I don't mean trash... trash can be fun. I mean week-old garbage with chicken wings and shrimp casings in it.

100proof

10 Year Member
Oh... also a +1 for The Green Knight. Didn't particularly care for A Ghost Story but the Arthurian legend desperately needs a fresh take and everything they've shown so far looks like the correct path. Got my tickets for this weekend.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Stahship Troopiz, kid. It ain't good.

Srsly, though. Wasn't the book a parody / scathing take on the military industrial complex? And the movie is just "Yeah boys, let's kill the bugs. Also a boob."
Not at all.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Never read the book. I just think a movie's quality can't hinge solely on being a $100 million dollar inside joke between the director and dopey film hipsters.

And c'mon man... don't insult David Lynch by comparing his actors' work to Casper van Dien and Denise fucking Richards, an actor so awful she couldn't even be a convincing Bond girl which requires all the range of a plank of wood in a bikini.

Showgirls is garbage too. And I don't mean trash... trash can be fun. I mean week-old garbage with chicken wings and shrimp casings in it.
Ugh, I remember when Showgirls came out. I went and rented it because I was gonna go and hookup with a girl and watch it. I was so excited to see Jesse Spano naked. (yeah, not a fan of Kelly, but I'd throw down on Lisa).

That movie was one of the worst shits Ive ever seen. Waste of time. That scene where shes fucking the guy (I guess) in the pool? Garbage.

The hook up was cool tho so not all was lost.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm finding all these impressions of Starship Troopers fascinating to read.

Basil Poledouris did a great score for that movie. I wonder if he knew that he was bombastically scoring a film that is an intentional satire of the source material.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Stahship Troopiz, kid. It ain't good.

Srsly, though. Wasn't the book a parody / scathing take on the military industrial complex? And the movie is just "Yeah boys, let's kill the bugs. Also a boob."
I've never read the book. One of Heinlein's quotes is one of my favorite quotes of all time.

But the movie is not just that. It can be that, if you wish to interpret it that way. But you'd be wrong. The same way you'd be wrong thinking Quaid wasn't dreaming in Total Recall.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've never read the book. One of Heinlein's quotes is one of my favorite quotes of all time.

But the movie is not just that. It can be that, if you wish to interpret it that way. But you'd be wrong. The same way you'd be wrong thinking Quaid wasn't dreaming in Total Recall.
Theres like two really cool parts with powered armor.

Thats it.

The Forever War is 100X the book Troopers is.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.​

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive never read Competent Man.

I have read the bible once tho. I surmise both are popular works of fiction.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
I'm gonna live forever you fucking retard.​

FTFY

100proof

10 Year Member
Ive never read Competent Man.

I have read the bible once tho. I surmise both are popular works of fiction.

Everyone should read the bible once. NRSV, not that King James horseshit made by Dark Ages cretins.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Starship Troopers is a movie you switch your brain off to, turn the surround sound up and let it slap you across the face.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hitman's Wifes's Bodyguard...

It's a sequel we didn't need... The cast are all ok but hampered by a crappy script... Poor action scenes...

The Dynamic between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel Jackson just wasn't there... this was the only thing that made the first film passeable...

Oh well, Let's see how much they can fuck up Suicide Squad next...

xROTx

PS. Salma Hayek still looks great tho...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.​

This is a great quote and one that speaks to my inner Cicero.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Starship Troopers is a movie you switch your brain off to, turn the surround sound up and let it slap you across the face.
If you think so, your brain was probably already turned off. Maybe you turned it off for some other movie some time back and forgot to turn it back on.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Theres like two really cool parts with powered armor.

Thats it.

The Forever War is 100X the book Troopers is.

I went to the used book store the other day but they had no copies of Starship Troopets. They’re usually a great source for older sci-fi and fantasy. No copies of Stranger in a Strange Land either. I was sad.

This discussion has moved Starship Troopers next in line on my reading list. Are Forever War and Starship Troopers even comparable in a sense? One is clearly anti-war and the other is…not. Though I understand Heinlen said he wasn’t a proponent of the system in his books…he was merely “exploring” it.

Starship Troopers is certainly regarded as a seminal work of Science Fiction.

Someone PM me some other sci-fi works to check out.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Totally feel ya' - I am a hardened genre film fan, so I am coming from a very different POV it sounds like. I also hold Frank Henenlotter in high regard and will watch Marquis repeatedly. I will defend the Lynch comment though, he is able to keep an actor in a very specific box (brilliantly so) and I think Verhoeven does the same. I used to think it was language barrier and a happy accident. But if you watch his non-english films you can see the same nuances in those as well. Not at all putting Verhoeven on the same level as Lynch though, but definitely can see the directing tactic at work in both their films.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I went to the used book store the other day but they had no copies of Starship Troopets. They’re usually a great source for older sci-fi and fantasy. No copies of Stranger in a Strange Land either. I was sad.

This discussion has moved Starship Troopers next in line on my reading list. Are Forever War and Starship Troopers even comparable in a sense? One is clearly anti-war and the other is…not. Though I understand Heinlen said he wasn’t a proponent of the system in his books…he was merely “exploring” it.

Starship Troopers is certainly regarded as a seminal work of Science Fiction.

Someone PM me some other sci-fi works to check out.
Just cut to the chase and read the Dune series or anything by Asimov.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just cut to the chase and read the Dune series or anything by Asimov.

Read most of dune. Read some of Foundation. Which Asimov should I read?

I need to read some John Carter of Mars stuff. Maybe the Thomas A Swift books as wel.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I need to read some John Carter of Mars stuff. Maybe the Thomas A Swift books as wel.
Prob an unpopular opinion - I liked Foundation but not as much as some of his other stuff. I really liked The Gods Themselves and Nemesis - I'd say those are my favorites of his. Caves of Steele The Naked Sun; and I, Robot are all really good.

What have you read of Arthur C. Clarke? Childhood's End, 2001, and Rendezvous with Rama are all very good.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

I was gonna say Foundation.

What about Phillip K. Dick?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (novel Blade Runner was based on)
Total Recall
The Man in the High Castle
Minority Report
A Scanner Darkly