Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Worth- Didn't even realize to day was the anniversary of 9/11. Michael Keaton does a pretty good job as Ken Feinberg, the main supporting actress and Stanley Tucci did a solid job as well. It's not a groundbreaking movie in any sense and it's definitely played pretty safe given the subject matter. It was okay, I guess I'd recommend it for Keaton but like most 9/11 movies you can imagine pretty much how it plays out as far as tone.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
like most 9/11 movies you can imagine pretty much how it plays out as far as tone.
I think the only 9/11 movie I'd be interested in watching would be something that dug into the conspiracy version of events. You know, like the government did it, there were bombs planted in the towers, shit like that. Because the real story is just depressing. At least the tin foil hat version could be suspenseful and exciting.

Reactions: wyo

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Agreed but this was at least interesting since it dealt with how the compensation payouts were handled which was a daunting task to say the least. Had it gone the other way (lawsuits) most cases would still be in litigation.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think the only 9/11 movie I'd be interested in watching would be something that dug into the conspiracy version of events. You know, like the government did it, there were bombs planted in the towers, shit like that. Because the real story is just depressing. At least the tin foil hat version could be suspenseful and exciting.
Maybe Tarantino could give in the revisionist history treatment.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
history revisionism is an everyday thing here。
Shang-Chi's star angered Mao so now his movie isn't being released there, Black Widow probably won't be released even though it cleared censorship, and future Marvel releases are in jeopardy now.

Dune is 100% Mao-approved though (but only because Chinese-owned Legendary is fronting 75% of the money for the movie).

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Nacho Libre is a surprisingly unfunny movie.

I mean it's bad, that was no surprise, but not even a few dumb chuckles. Kids didn't even find it amusing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I mean it's bad, that was no surprise, but not even a few dumb chuckles. Kids didn't even find it amusing.
it was a Jack Black vehicle in a post Napoleon Dynamite world. it was enough for tweens in 2006.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Quick rank Jack Black’s best leading performances…

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
School of Rock has to be his best as a lead. Otherwise he works best as a secondary character like High Fidelity.

Honorable mention for Mars Attacks!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
School of Rock has to be his best as a lead. Otherwise he works best as a secondary character like High Fidelity.

Honorable mention for Mars Attacks!
You guys are arriving at the expected conclusion. Jack Black sucks.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
His finest role is obviously the stoner/rasta hotel employee in I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

Seriously though Year One might actually be the worst movie I've ever seen.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Malignant - had a few weird moments that seemed to break with the movie's own logic, but the reveal and the overall vibe both before and after said reveal impressed me, though I could see an argument that said reveal is... silly. Jail scene was fun.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3: Leatherface - basically rehashes the first one without its good qualities and becomes a generic interchangeable slasher movie. Short and fast-paced at least.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Kate- Man, I really wanted to like this but nope. It's no John Wick or even Atomic Blonde but it's sure trying. Some of the action scenes are really well done but other are just off, the pink car scene turns into a cinema from a Need for Speed game almost immediately. The tween girl is a terrible character and a detriment to the movie.

The whole gimmick of the running death clock works in theory but the problem is that it doesn't allow for the pace of the movie to function the way this type of movie needs it to, it's also insultingly predictable with the whole real bad guy reveal. Woody Harrelson is phoning it in big time which was disappointing. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is fine and I liked that it was a bit more graphic than JW or AB and the locations were pretty great, the cinematography is very well done for the most part. Also the music could have been utilized to reinforce the actions beat better.

Overall though it just isn't satisfying. Worth watching for the visuals and some sporadically impressive action but don't expect too much more.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Get the guy who made the Room 237 documentary to do it. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch and The Shining conspiracies are all stupid as shit but it ended up being an interesting commentary on how conspiracy theories form and why people are drawn to certain ones.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Get the guy who made the Room 237 documentary to do it. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch and The Shining conspiracies are all stupid as shit but it ended up being an interesting commentary on how conspiracy theories form and why people are drawn to certain ones.
No I meant like a regular movie with a plot and characters and shit. Just one in which the cuckoo conspiracies were correct.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think we need Asylum or someone like that to make a 9/11 conspiracy movie.

Sharknado and Megagator vs. The World Trade Center.