Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Indeed, but I guess technically that didn't surprise me AS MUCH since she seems like a capable actor and is pretty, but yeah she did a surprisingly good job
I had never seen Selina, so I didn't know what to expect. I still haven't. I need to get on that.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Freaky stars Vince Vaughn and is pretty fun. Should be available on Hulu or HBO.

Reactions: Syn

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That Rumble in Cell Block 23 or whatever was pretty good and stars VV as well.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Outpost - kind of under the radar, but definitely one of the better war movies I've seen in quite a while. Good action scenes that did a nice job of conveying how hopeless the situation felt but also some really strong performances that made me more invested in the characters than usual in the genre. Caleb Landry Jones, in particular, was really good.

Reactions: Syn

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
FREE GUY

This was surprisingly good and funny. It's a Ryan Reynolds thing so I figured he'd give me some chuckles, but it was actually pretty funny, though the story was pretty much lifted from the Lego Movie, Ready Player One (blechh), The Matrix, The 13th Floor, Tron, Tron 2, Truman Show, Wreck it Ralph, and Grandma's Boy among others.

Plenty of references to other games (obviously) and one really great super quick cameo.

I wouldn't buy the BluRay but if it comes out streaming somewhere, definitely give it a Saturday night at home with the wife/husby viewing.
I'm surprised, the little I saw from it screamed FOCUS TEST: the movie, and even with your review I'm still not convinced I'd survive it without cringing to death. Hmm...

I should probably watch grandma's boy again though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Outpost - kind of under the radar, but definitely one of the better war movies I've seen in quite a while. Good action scenes that did a nice job of conveying how hopeless the situation felt but also some really strong performances that made me more invested in the characters than usual in the genre. Caleb Landry Jones, in particular, was really good.
EDIT different films, nevermind.

There's two more Outpost films.

The first and second are both good. I haven't seen the third.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched Beetlejuice in preparation for my trip to HHN this weekend. Sadly, 35 years of Tim Burton movies has kinda lessened the impact of just how weird and interesting this movie was when it came out. Michael Keaton is so damn good even though he's barely in it, Geena Davis is a dimepiece as always... but, ignoring everyone's favorite pedophile Jeffrey Jones, the biggest distraction is that all of the setpieces, the weird art and the netherworld stuff that made the movie so unique in 1988 just reeks of "oh look... it's a Tim Burton thing". For me, anyway. Still a fun movie for Keaton's performance alone but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I used to. Wonder how Pee Wee holds up?

I read somewhere a long time ago that the movie was originally supposed to be a straight-up horror movie and I wonder if that would've made it better or worse. It makes more sense as it is in Tim Burton's filmography (half his movies are about weird but somehow functional family units) but the fact that we never really got a straight horror movie from him (save for Sleepy Hollow, I guess?) seems like a missed opportunity.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Holy fuckshit the new Bond movie cost 301 million dollars to shoot. After marketing they could need anywhere from 750-900 million dollars at the box office just to break even.

This could be the biggest film release since 2019 in terms of box office gross and still bomb spectacularly.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Holy fuckshit the new Bond movie cost 301 million dollars to shoot. After marketing they could need anywhere from 750-900 million dollars at the box office just to break even.

This could be the biggest film release since 2019 in terms of box office gross and still bomb spectacularly.
Very likely, but let's not count our chickens until Dune's final numbers are in.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m sure we will see another bond movie get green lit regardless. It’s not some low tier IP like Dune.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Very likely, but let's not count our chickens until Dune's final numbers are in.
Based on Dune's current trends it will hit over 300 million without considering the US or Chinese box office (or HBO) at all. If it's a complete bomb in those countries it'll still probably limp to 350 million worldwide. If it's a moderate hit in those countries, 450-500 million. If it's a big hit, 600-800 million is probably the ceiling.

Bond definitely has a higher ceiling and a higher floor but asking this new movie to beat the last one (did 881 million on a 250 million dollar budget) in a pandemic is a tough ask.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I’m sure we will see another bond movie get green lit regardless. It’s not some low tier IP like Dune.
The last two Bond movies did a combined two billion dollars so they spent big on this one and got hosed by the pandemic.

Of course there will be more Bond no matter what. This one will do impressive numbers regardless, they just may have set the bar out of reach.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I just have this crazy feeling that Dune isn't going to do what fami is saying it is going to do

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fami has some sort of box-office stock ticker just constantly updating every time a ticket is sold that he just obsessively watches while holding his dick.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I just have this crazy feeling that Dune isn't going to do what fami is saying it is going to do
Dune vs other pandemic movies in like-for-like markets after the same amount of time, as of Sunday:
Black Widow: +49%
Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings: +64%
Godzilla vs Kong +87%

Global box office totals for those movies
Black Widow: 378 million
Shang-Chi: 364 million (still playing)
Godzilla vs Kong: 468 million

Black Widow and Shang Chi didn't release in China, while GvK was a smash hit there, which explains the big difference between them.

Dune will likely not perform as well as Black Widow or Shang Chi in the US because of HBO Max, but it is outperforming them significantly everywhere else.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
stuff is going to happen and when it happens STK is going to be the winner of the argument

famicommander

15 Year Member
stuff is going to happen and when it happens STK is going to be the winner of the argument
I'm willing to bet that the sequel is greenlit before the end of the year. That will be the end of the argument.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dune will likely not perform as well as Black Widow or Shang Chi in the US because of HBO Max, but it is outperforming them significantly everywhere else.
It should be pretty easy to outperform two movies that won't get a release in China.

It's not really an argument. I'd love Dune to do well. I'd love for it to get sequels, or at least finish off adapting the first novel. It's just that I still have one foot in reality. All the pandemic stuff, the HBO Max thing, the fact that I don't see wide audiences connecting with this material the way they did Lord of the Rings or whatever. WB is positioning Dune as a tentpole blockbuster, they need it to be a blockbuster, but Villeneuve doesn't really do blockbusters. I don't know if he's capable of it; I don't even know if he aspires to it.