Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I enjoyed all the predator movies, including requiem and alien vs.

I don’t approach these as cultural artifacts worthy of post graduate dissertation. Just enjoyable films.
Did you watch the one with Olivia Munn, Keegan Michael Key, and Sterling K. Brown? I could have sworn I liked it the first time I watched it, but then went to re-watch it and couldn't get through it. I like Brown as the villain but overall it's the one movie in the series I don't particularly care for.

The one with Adrien Brody was surprisingly solid IIRC. It's been long enough now that I really need to re-watch it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t remember one with KMK, but I enjoy his work most of the time as long as it’s not a bittersweet hipster-com

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
After Endgame it was done. We’ll never see something like this again and the lightning they captured is now likely uncapturable. Movie Execs seem to have got the wrong message though and seem to just want to churn out sequel after sequel that really doesn’t work towards anything (that or it’s just…bad DC I’m looking at you.)
Agreed.

Considering the new big bad is Kang, I honestly don't think hes as big a threat as Thanos and the Infinity story. Ok so hes a super smart time traveling self-racist. Big woop.

Also, most of the 'nailed it' actors have moved on, save for Hemsworth. I can't see anyone else as Cap than Evans, or Downey Jr as Stark. Say what you will about the characters/actors, they really did carry a lot of the load for the saga.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Agreed.

Considering the new big bad is Kang, I honestly don't think hes as big a threat as Thanos and the Infinity story. Ok so hes a super smart time traveling self-racist. Big woop.

Also, most of the 'nailed it' actors have moved on, save for Hemsworth. I can't see anyone else as Cap than Evans, or Downey Jr as Stark. Say what you will about the characters/actors, they really did carry a lot of the load for the saga.

I’m honestly hoping whatever saga unfolds that it’s X-Men centric. It’s time to move on from the Fox films, and IMO the only iconic character/actor combos from those films are Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto. I’d kill for an MCU X-Men that was just an action film and not an origin story. It absolutely worked for Spider-Man in Civil War and Homecoming. These characters are enough a part of the collective culture that we don’t need their origins explained to use every reincarnation. Logan is a standout example of doing a film this way.

That said We don’t need a new Captain America or Iron Man. One is elderly and the other is dead. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Once Mando season 3 drops I’ll watch the current D+ Marvel shows, but are they part of the broader MCU and working towards the story or are they their own thing like the Netflix MCU and Agents of Shield?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I can see a lot of actors as better Ironmans and better Captain Americas. Downey and Evans are mediocre and their total livelihood depends on rabid fanbois like fappycommander. Take out the fanbois and RDJ is back in the alley behind Cholos sucking herpes dick for crack.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I’m honestly hoping whatever saga unfolds that it’s X-Men centric. It’s time to move on from the Fox films, and IMO the only iconic character/actor combos from those films are Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto. I’d kill for an MCU X-Men that was just an action film and not an origin story. It absolutely worked for Spider-Man in Civil War and Homecoming. These characters are enough a part of the collective culture that we don’t need their origins explained to use every reincarnation. Logan is a standout example of doing a film this way.

That said We don’t need a new Captain America or Iron Man. One is elderly and the other is dead. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Once Mando season 3 drops I’ll watch the current D+ Marvel shows, but are they part of the broader MCU and working towards the story or are they their own thing like the Netflix MCU and Agents of Shield?
Honestly, I think you're right with the X-Men thing. I cant remember where I read it, but allegedly one "major X-Men character" will be met in one of the upcoming films. I want to say it's Doctor Strange 2. Probably not Spider-man 3, but I cant remember. $10 its gonna be either Professor X or Wolverine.

But to be completely frank, I don't actually want the X-Men in the MCU. Once they are brought in they are going to take over. I know the X-Men are massively popular. And I agree as to why. They are a great set of characters/stories. But even growing up I always felt the X-Men were sort of a separate part of the Marvel universe. They all had their own shit going on, be it local or cosmic. I just never really got into stuff like The Avengers and X-Men teaming up or whatever. It was always Hulk fighting the X-Men because he crashed into the Blackbird when he jumped too high. Or Spider-man meeting Cyclops here or there.

They are their own ensemble, whereas the Avengers are their own. So far the MCU has had the 4 Avengers movies as the tentpole 'chapter ends.' I can only imagine bringing in the X-men, it will get more complex, and then the tentpole wont be Avengers 6, but X-Men vs. Proteus or something.

EDIT: Sorry I didnt even answer your question about the D+ shows. If you havent watched them, all I can say so there are no spoilers is - they are important. Its not like the Netflix/Agents which were MCU-Adjacent.

The shit that happens in Wandavision and most notably Loki - GREATLY affects the MCU's direction. Greatly.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I can see your point about the X-Men. I think if they focused on an X-Men sans Wolverine who really need to work together to fight big bads then we could avoid them dominating the universe. Guardians of the Galaxy shows us that we can have a “team” who join up with a larger team.

I’m certain we will see mutants in the MCU. While it’s not MCU, in Venom 2, Shriek (is that her name?) mentions at the start of the film her mutations are increasing and
Spoiler:
we know Venom is coming to the MCU. Maybe this is a stretch, but I don’t think so.

That said I need to see the D+ shit apparently.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I've been warming up to Korean movies nowadays... South Korean ones of course, I can't stomach Pulgasari again. Youtube has been recommending me clips from movies for some reason and their comedies seem fun, and the cinematography doesn't make me cringe as hard as when they go for that Annie May inspired bootleg look, such as that one Netflix series some people can't seem to shut up about. I'm going to watch them if I can find a stream or torrent.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nah dude. Alien is a dumb movie, analyzed to death by postmodern faggors that have given it more legitimacy than it actually had as a narrative.

It's strengths are its dystopian vision of the future, its claustrophobic tension, its unique monster and its utterly believable cast, which evokes the human connection that separates this from less worthy horror fare. But the characters make a lot of dumb decisions in it. And there is dumb things that are never explained.

All of the analysis this flick has received since its debut is really worthy of mockery.
I'm gonna agree to disagree on that one. And I think my postmodern faggor friend oliverclaude will agree with me :lolz:.

What are some of the stupid decisions you think the characters make?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm gonna agree to disagree on that one. And I think my postmodern faggor friend oliverclaude will agree with me :lolz:.

Ripley agreeing to go to the colony in the first place and help eradicate the xenomorphs.

Just let the colony go.

impregnating ripley and newt to smuggle the xenomorph to earth

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've been liking random old 10+ year old posts for months now. Thanks for recognizing that. Sometimes I wonder how people react to that.
It's nice to read one's own posts from the past, which went through your selection. First it's surprising, after a while it begins to make sense and I begin to understand, why you gave it any recognition − a chunk of it holds its mystery, though. Then it also becomes clear, that it is impossible to step in the same river twice and post in the same manner again, which is kind of sad. But then again, who knows what will happen a couple of years later, when you'll revisit what we post now, right? Anyway, I'll try to revisit some of your 'old but gold' posts. Let's see if you can always figure out the why, hehe...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

I'll take a pass on a deeper discussion on the 'deconstruction' of Alien because Ridley Scott is an actual dolt and isn't worthy of the attention and neither is this film except on a technical level. There is nothing interesting about the narrative subtext but the production itself is quite fascinating. The characters themselves are a product of the set and the boiling tensions between actors and not the actual writing.

As for characters making dumb decisions, Imma have to get back to you because I have to make this money.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Alien was great because of the set and Giger's designs. Could have had any kind of acting, or any variation of its plot, as long as it had that glorious set/props/environment, it'd still be a fucking great movie. Given that the film is so old, I still feel like I'm actually in space, on a boring cargo space ship, when I watch that movie and the same cannot be said about stuff made even today. Not sure what there is to analyze about it other than its superior sensory presentation.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
There's nothing exciting or really immersive about a "clean", modern outer space, or space ship. Alien got this gritty 'mainframe' flavor of space voyages in the future. A contracted thing, not much different than a submarine dive or a military command center dwelling, except it's still somehow unlike anything one ever sees and one has to understand through the plot that, in the time of the setting, this is nothing special or interesting, just a bunch of dudes going out crabbing in Alaska

fake

15 Year Member
Ripley agreeing to go to the colony in the first place and help eradicate the xenomorphs.

Just let the colony go.

impregnating ripley and newt to smuggle the xenomorph to earth
That's Aliens - which is absolutely a stupid movie. I'm talking about Alien, the one in which Ripley protects her pussy cat from a walking gooey penis.

fake

15 Year Member
Alien was great because of the set and Giger's designs. Could have had any kind of acting, or any variation of its plot, as long as it had that glorious set/props/environment, it'd still be a fucking great movie. Given that the film is so old, I still feel like I'm actually in space, on a boring cargo space ship, when I watch that movie and the same cannot be said about stuff made even today. Not sure what there is to analyze about it other than its superior sensory presentation.
Don't forget about Moebius' stuff, too.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's Aliens - which is absolutely a stupid movie. I'm talking about Alien, the one in which Ripley protects her pussy cat from a walking gooey penis.
I see. I thought we were asking about Aliens, where a corporation that lost a billion dollar space ship and crew to a near unstoppable homicidal psychotic alien says “let’s build a colony on an asteroid and impregnate the colonists with homicidal psychotic eggs, and then smuggle the eggs back to Earth!”

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I get the pushback against the tendency of critics and the movie intelligencia to read way too much in to a simple monster movie. It's practically their job to look for connections in film to larger cultural trends that don't exist ("The Thing is about AIDS!" Yeah, no it isn't).

But I won't stand for people shitting on Alien... especially now that Ellen Ripley is a Disney princess. I get that people are shitting on Prometheus and Covenant. Covenant was fucking awful and Prometheus is a convoluted, unnecessary mess.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I get the pushback against the tendency of critics and the movie intelligencia to read way too much in to a simple monster movie. It's practically their job to look for connections in film to larger cultural trends that don't exist ("The Thing is about AIDS!" Yeah, no it isn't).

But I won't stand for people shitting on Alien... especially now that Ellen Ripley is a Disney princess.
Calling it dumb isn't shitting on it.

I like the movie. A marvelous cinematic achievement.

It's still dumb.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Calling it dumb isn't shitting on it.

I like the movie. A marvelous cinematic achievement.

It's still dumb.

It may be a matter of semantics but I think there's a difference between dumb and simple.

Personally, I think Aliens is dumb in the way you described (but still a good movie) and Alien is a simple story (people trapped in tight space with monster) executed well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It may be a matter of semantics but I think there's a difference between dumb and simple.

Personally, I think Aliens is dumb in the way you described (but still a good movie) and Alien is a simple story (people trapped in tight space with monster) executed well.
No, Alien and Aliens are both about the white gentrification of indigenous xenomorphs. Also, apartheid.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just saw the new, final trailer for Dune. I have a sick feeling the Lynch movie is going to turn out to have been the better, more authentic adaptation (other than Villeneuve's thopter design, which is perfect).

The trailer is two and a half minutes, two minutes and twenty-four seconds of which is characters doing things they never did in the book while saying things that are complete invention on the part of the screenwriters.

A couple roles are better cast in the new movie. A couple are drastically worse. Leaving the vast majority of the new casting as a lateral move at best.

A large part of the original novel is internal. That's tough to translate to the screen. I think Lynch deseves credit for having the balls to allow multiple characters to have internal narration, which is pulled directly from the book. I think it works as the least inelegant solution out of a bunch of unworkable options. And without that internal narration, I'm afraid that what Villeneuve is stuck with is a lot of eye-rolling audience hand-holding, by having characters awkwardly explain the plot and their inner thoughts to each other. We already see some of that happening in the trailers, and it fucking sucks.

This last trailer is by far the worst of the trailers they've released so far. I'd probably be more optimistic if they'd released them in the opposite order, but oh well. I think what happened is that they feel the need to show something in this final trailer that they haven't shown before, but they've already run out of good stuff.

Then the trailer ends with a quote from Collider (are you fucking kidding me? Collider?) which says, "This is the new Star Wars; the new Lord of the Rings." Saying shit like that is the kiss of death, assholes. Which, okay, those idiots said it, it's Collider... but then WB has to be dumb enough to put it in the trailer for everyone to see.

Fucking disheartening.