Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ah Yes, the work which precedes Star Wars by almost a generation is the new Star Wars. Dune as the new LotR is cringeworthy.

It has been interesting to see a lot of these older Sci-Fi novels be turned in to series or films that are, in some cases, only vaguely reminiscent of the source material.

Sounds like this is what is going on in Foundation, what happened in The Man in the High Castle, and even The Handmaid’s Tale.

Hmm I guess we saw that in the 80s too with stuff like Blade Runner and all the Arnold stuff lol. I guess there is a fine line between trying to stay true to the source material and also making a successful adaptation.

Agreed that it is difficult to adapt some material from one medium to another.

Someone should make a series based on Jack Vance’s Dying Earth. That would be excellent Anthology series. The world is so absolutely bizarre and bonkers they can do whatever they want. Which is why they shouldn’t :)

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But do you think it will get greenlit for a sequel?
Using that Collider quote almost seems like intentional self-sabotage, it was so ill-considered. Like WB doesn't really want to do a second one... Just let this one live on HBO Max as a curiousity or whatever, and be able to tell Villeneuve, "Hey, we tried. (snicker snicker)"

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Dune ads I've been seeing in the last day or two are just the actors gushing about how amazing, empowered, revolutionary etc. their characters are. It stinks of spin control trying to explain to average dumb-dumbs why they should see it.

Like they know normal people won't sit through a 2.5 minute trailer showing off the world building and visual effects for something they don't care about but they'll sit through a 30 second clip of a recognizable pretty person saying how proud they are be involved in this amazing project.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm gonna agree to disagree on that one. And I think my postmodern faggor friend oliverclaude will agree with me :lolz:.

What are some of the stupid decisions you think the characters make?
Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you fake. BTW the 'stupid decisions' structure reminds me of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, but just like in Christie's novel, there's more in Alien than meets the eye. There have been a lot of attempts to reduce Scott to great visuals/production values, but in my opinion none was successful enough to tag him with this stereotype, not even those made after Blade Runner.

I tend to see a lot of cynicism in his pictures. It's something I particularly dislike in films, but I also feel that in Scott's case it's an honest signature, rather than just a cheap way to gain attention. That's why he remains an interesting director for me, but also one with a lot of bad movies in his filmography.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Reminds me of when the Fifth Element came out and the trailers had those 'reviews' in the middle of em. "ITS LIKE STAR WARS FOR THE 90S!!"

shat da fak ap.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Ripley agreeing to go to the colony in the first place and help eradicate the xenomorphs.

Just let the colony go.

impregnating ripley and newt to smuggle the xenomorph to earth
I first read this as snuggling the xenomorph to earth and didn't even think it was weird.

Reminds me, just as an odd aside to all the Alien(s) discussion, did y'all like/dislike Life? I remember being kind of non-plussed by it when I watched it but really liking the ending, which this post reminded me of.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
the new james bond movie, not as good as the last one .

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
the new james bond movie, not as good as the last one .

I honestly don’t know if I saw the last one. I liked this one, even if the villain is out of nowhere. Ties up all the loose ends in the Craig Bond story, I guess.

Movie was long, but I didn’t feel bored. I did have to get up and go pee though lol.

Some pretty decent action sequences.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw the new Dune trailer STK posted about the other day. I snickered pretty loud on the Star Wars/LotR collider quote.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Ah Yes, the work which precedes Star Wars by almost a generation is the new Star Wars. Dune as the new LotR is cringeworthy.

It has been interesting to see a lot of these older Sci-Fi novels be turned in to series or films that are, in some cases, only vaguely reminiscent of the source material.
I don't know what you mean, the new Star Wars? Dune has many more similarities to LOTR than it does to Star Wars.

Star wars is a space opera inspired by Flash Gordon, and Kurosawa's films. LOTR and Dune have deeper and more adult-oriented story-writing than Star Wars. I think Star Wars should be treated as a separate thing to those two film series, as it wasn't based on an existing novel.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't know what you mean, the new Star Wars? Dune has many more similarities to LOTR than it does to Star Wars.

Star wars is a space opera inspired by Flash Gordon, and Kurosawa's films. LOTR and Dune have deeper and more adult-oriented story-writing than Star Wars. I think Star Wars should be treated as a separate thing to those two film series, as it wasn't based on an existing novel.
Right, Dune is nothing like Star Wars at all

Tattooine and Arrakis? Nothing alike. On Tattooine they use dew collectors and atmospheric vaporizers to mine moisture out of the air. On Arrakis they use wind traps. Totally different concepts, obviously.

Sarlacc Pit totally doesn't remind one of a sand worm.

Who ever heard of a young protagonist named after a biblical figure who is absurdly powerful due to his genetics, which as will be revealed later includes a direct ancestry from the villains? Also, Paul's sister is named Alia while Luke's is named Leia. That's one whole letter of difference!

An order of super powered beings taking it upon themselves to try to keep the peace? Yeah, no parallels between the Jedi and Bene Gesserit there. Jedi Martial arts are called Jedi-Bindu, which are way different from the Bene Gesserit martial arts called Prana-Bindu. And the Jedi Mind Trick? It in no way resembles Bene Gesserit Voice.

Trade Federation's attempt to dictate interplanetry trade and travel? Yeah, nothing at all like CHOAM or the Spacing Guild.

Spice Mines and sand crawlers? Definitely not things that are in both stories at all.

Star Wars repulsors that they use to make all their shit hover? Totally not inspired by Dune suspensors at all.

The original Star Wars script has Leia protecting a shipment of Spice and acting as a member of one of the Great Houses before Lucas eventually changed it to Leia protecting Death Star plans as a member of the Galactic Senate. Obviously no connection there.

Fuckin' retard.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Right, Dune is nothing like Star Wars at all

Tattooine and Arrakis? Nothing alike. On Tattooine they use dew collectors and atmospheric vaporizers to mine moisture out of the air. On Arrakis they use wind traps. Totally different concepts, obviously.

Sarlacc Pit totally doesn't remind one of a sand worm.

Who ever heard of a young protagonist named after a biblical figure who is absurdly powerful due to his genetics, which as will be revealed later includes a direct ancestry from the villains? Also, Paul's sister is named Alia while Luke's is named Leia. That's one whole letter of difference!

An order of super powered beings taking it upon themselves to try to keep the peace? Yeah, no parallels between the Jedi and Bene Gesserit there. Jedi Martial arts are called Jedi-Bindu, which are way different from the Bene Gesserit martial arts called Prana-Bindu. And the Jedi Mind Trick? It in no way resembles Bene Gesserit Voice.

Trade Federation's attempt to dictate interplanetry trade and travel? Yeah, nothing at all like CHOAM or the Spacing Guild.

Spice Mines and sand crawlers? Definitely not things that are in both stories at all.

Star Wars repulsors that they use to make all their shit hover? Totally not inspired by Dune suspensors at all.

The original Star Wars script has Leia protecting a shipment of Spice and acting as a member of one of the Great Houses before Lucas eventually changed it to Leia protecting Death Star plans as a member of the Galactic Senate. Obviously no connection there.
Settle down, nerd.

Do you have any idea how infrequently I can say that unironically? Fucking get it together.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
House- Not to be confused with Hausu lol. Somehow I'd never seen this, Stephen King like horror writer moves into a house that he inherited from his aunt who committed suicide. He's just looking for some peace and quiet to work on his new novel but he starts having horrible visions and dreams. Surprise! the house is fucking haunted as shit. Enjoyable enough with some good practical effects, though some scenes are unintentionally hilarious. George Wendt plays his annoying neighbor which is kind of weird.

Slumber Party Massacre- A high school girl has a naughty slumber party while her parents are out of town but a serial killer has escaped from prison and is at large. The killer uses an oversized power drill to kill half naked teen girls... There's been a lot of stuff written lately about how this is a female empowerment vs. impotence metaphor like that's some deep shit everyone missed. Uh yeah no shit but it's still an exploitative campy slasher filled with titties and gore.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not worth responding to a salty old cunt with such sci fi takes as:
"James Cameron has never directed a good science fiction movie"
"Prometheus is better than Aliens"
"David Lynch made a good choice having characters dub whispering internal monologs over close ups of them making constipation faces"
"Blade Runner is better with Deckard as a replicant"
"Total Recall definitively answers the central question even though the director said it was intentionally ambiguous and both outcomes are shown to be impossible by the film itself"

Pretty soon he'll be up in here telling us Attack of the Clones is better than Empire Strikes Back and Matrix 3 is better than Matrix 1.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not worth responding to a salty old cunt with such sci fi takes as:
"James Cameron has never directed a good science fiction movie"
"Prometheus is better than Aliens"
"David Lynch made a good choice having characters dub whispering internal monologs over close ups of them making constipation faces"
"Blade Runner is better with Deckard as a replicant"
"Total Recall definitively answers the central question even though the director said it was intentionally ambiguous and both outcomes are shown to be impossible by the film itself"

Pretty soon he'll be up in here telling us Attack of the Clones is better than Empire Strikes Back and Matrix 3 is better than Matrix 1.
The effect is lessened when you season his language with your own embellishments.

also, 35 years later I have no questions about Total Recall. It was confusing back when I was a kid, but as an adult it’s not a mindfuck at all.