Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
even with the weird ass Guy Hamilton footage speed ups
Yeah, "undercranking". That actually used to be a pretty common technique in movies. Where they manually slow the camera down while it's filming, so that when they play it back at normal speed, everything moves faster. They used it more than a few times in the old Bond films, even into the Roger Moore era. Mostly to speed up action if the actors throw punches too slow, make a flip look more painful or whatever.

Looks fake as fuck. But I think it didn't really matter in the old days when you'd see a movie once in the theater and then it was gone forever. You'd forget the undercranking and only remember the overall feeling of the action. But once VHS showed up and people would see movies multiple times at home, that was a wrap for undercranking. It's pretty rare to see used now. Undercranking and rear projection, where actors sit in a car while a moving background is projected onto a screen behind them, are two of the fakest effects used throughout the Connery Bonds that have aged the worst.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Venom: Let There Be Carnage - the minute-to-minute between Tom Hardy and Venom is still entertaining, but Carnage was really, really boring IMO, like just bafflingly so. I know the first one's no masterpiece but I strongly prefer it to this one.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Matrix 4 first impressions are flooding the internet.

It seems to be a romantic comedy with bad action sequences and just as much exposition as 2 and 3.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I enjoyed Never Say Never Again when I was a kid. Not watched it in forever so I've no idea what I'd think now...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Matrix 4 first impressions are flooding the internet.

It seems to be a romantic comedy with bad action sequences and just as much exposition as 2 and 3.
Wife and I decided to watch OG Matrix, then 2 and 3 in prep. But we just watched the first one as it's still awesome/fun as it was in 99. The other two just... bleh.

I will watch 4, but I'm feeling it's gonna be much like 2 and 3, and probably kinda woke because of Lana.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wife and I decided to watch OG Matrix, then 2 and 3 in prep. But we just watched the first one as it's still awesome/fun as it was in 99. The other two just... bleh.

I will watch 4, but I'm feeling it's gonna be much like 2 and 3, and probably kinda woke because of Lana.
The Matrix still holds up great for the most part. My main criticism of it is the love story. Neo and Trinity are basically a couple because the plot demands it. They have no chemistry and they hardly spent 2 minutes alone together before they're suddenly in love and it doesn't feel earned at all. It's part of a wider criticism of the series in general: the characters don't feel like characters. They're all so loaded down with exposition, symbolism, references, foreshadowing, and narrative purpose that they don't really have personalities. When Cypher murders the team, it doesn't have nearly the impact that it should because most of the people he kills are in the movie for like 2 scenes and they have like 1 line each.

The Animatrix is also still fantastic.

The Matrix Reloaded is almost good. If they cut out the rave/sex scene, the Neo vs 100 Smiths, and about half of the overly long and low stakes highway chase they'd have a solid sequel.

Revolutions is irredeemable.

The plotting and the world-building across the series still holds up great, but the movies they built around them just aren't good. To me the only two characters in the franchise that feel 100% fleshed out are the Oracle and Morpheus. Neo is literally just there to ask questions so that other characters can explain shit to the audience, Trinity has zero personality traits, and none of the other characters even matter.

The action in the second two is also just not that good. Overly reliant on CGI and not as purposeful or coherent as the first movie.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I enjoyed Spider-Man no way home. The plot is total fan service. The idea would be cool and unique but Spider-Man: In to the Spiderverse already did it better and was more charming and endearing. Still enjoyable though at times felt pretty campy and hokey.

J. Jonah Jameson ruled in this movie. Love the direction they took him even if it’s a bit too topical.

First After credit scene was funny but disappointing.

Second post credit scene was strange. It was more like a trailer for a film we already know about than a fun/secret reveal.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It sounds like the new Matrix has the same issue the other sequels had: endless exposition and pontificating by characters no one gives a shit about.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Matrix still holds up great for the most part. My main criticism of it is the love story. Neo and Trinity are basically a couple because the plot demands it. They have no chemistry and they hardly spent 2 minutes alone together before they're suddenly in love and it doesn't feel earned at all. It's part of a wider criticism of the series in general: the characters don't feel like characters. They're all so loaded down with exposition, symbolism, references, foreshadowing, and narrative purpose that they don't really have personalities. When Cypher murders the team, it doesn't have nearly the impact that it should because most of the people he kills are in the movie for like 2 scenes and they have like 1 line each.

The Animatrix is also still fantastic.

The Matrix Reloaded is almost good. If they cut out the rave/sex scene, the Neo vs 100 Smiths, and about half of the overly long and low stakes highway chase they'd have a solid sequel.

Revolutions is irredeemable.

The plotting and the world-building across the series still holds up great, but the movies they built around them just aren't good. To me the only two characters in the franchise that feel 100% fleshed out are the Oracle and Morpheus. Neo is literally just there to ask questions so that other characters can explain shit to the audience, Trinity has zero personality traits, and none of the other characters even matter.

The action in the second two is also just not that good. Overly reliant on CGI and not as purposeful or coherent as the first movie.
Remember there was that hullaballoo about some lady claiming that the Wachowskis and James Cameron stole her ideas for Terminator and Matrix? Some lady name Sofia... something, I think. She claimed the movies were plagiarized (sp?) from her book "The Third Eye." Ive wanted to read that book but when all of that was going on, I could never find any concrete evidence that it actually existed.

edit: lol a mass market paperback is on amazon. I wonder if there's a mobi of it anywhere.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Wachowskis have only ever made 3 good movies Bound, The Matrix and Speed Racer all 3 of which either steal heavily from or are based on pre-existing work. I boggles my mind that they have so many fans that still hold out hope. I knew while watching Reloaded in the theater that they were too far up their own asses to ever be seriously competent film makers.

Speed Racer is a far better movie than it has any right to be. That's one instance where it actually helps that the CG is so dumb and garish since the movie is so ridiculous.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I don't know that Speed Racer is good so much as it's the right kind of stupid... like a sugar-infused fever dream. And yeah, I can't believe how excited some people were about Matrix 4. It's like collective amnesia.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It sounds like the new Matrix has the same issue the other sequels had: endless exposition and pontificating by characters no one gives a shit about.
Honestly that was better than the CGI disaster action sequences in the sequels. Both movies definitely have too much exposition but at least it's all coherent and fits together if you pay attention. The action sequences are all super low stakes and/or entirely pointless, and they're full of way too many cuts and poor lighting unlike the smooth flowing action from the first. The first also has a lot more tension because it feels like the characters are actually in danger, whereas with the sequels Neo is invincible and everyone else is just there for him to rescue.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
While I'm kinda wanting to see the Matrix 4 just based on nostalgia, if I stop and think about it at all I gotta imagine it'll be shit. As previously mentioned it's been a while since the Wachowski's made anything that was any good and I need to keep reminding myself that so my expectations for Matrix 4 are properly lowered.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Watched the documentary "TREAD".
It's about Marvin Heemeyer, the guy in Colorado who armoured up a bulldozer and trashed the town.
Felt a bit sided against him but overall good.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Remember there was that hullaballoo about some lady claiming that the Wachowskis and James Cameron stole her ideas for Terminator and Matrix? Some lady name Sofia... something, I think. She claimed the movies were plagiarized (sp?) from her book "The Third Eye." Ive wanted to read that book but when all of that was going on, I could never find any concrete evidence that it actually existed.

edit: lol a mass market paperback is on amazon. I wonder if there's a mobi of it anywhere.
This was absolute bunk. The lady didn't even show up to her own court date.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Spider-Man No Way Home:

No spoilers. I promise. But this is literally the best Spider-Man movie ever made. Into the Spider-verse is trash compared to this one. And Spider-verse is amazing. Just fyi.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Spider-Man No Way Home:

No spoilers. I promise. But this is literally the best Spider-Man movie ever made. Into the Spider-verse is trash compared to this one. And Spider-verse is amazing. Just fyi.

You think so? Spiderverse is still best for me. This felt still too much like fan service to me. As I said Spiderverse is more charming and more endearing.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Psycho II- Norman Bates is released from a prison for the criminally insane, moves back into mothers house and starts running the motel with the help of a hot young chick. Made and set 22 years after the original and enough of it's own thing to not be insulting to the original. While it's not a great movie by any stretch but it is entertaining and has some solid practical effects gags. Plus as well made as the OG is it's honestly pretty exploitative and campy in a lot of regards but it was so original for it's time that I think that gets overlooked a lot.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Spider-Man No Way Home:

Before I go rushing off to the theater, I just want to get a barometer on your usefulness as a critic: Did you think Far From Home was good?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Before I go rushing off to the theater, I just want to get a barometer on your usefulness as a critic: Did you think Far From Home was good?
I actually thought of you when I saw this yesterday because it has something that you'll appreciate.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey champ, before you go rushing off to jack diddly, why don't you set to gettin your Tom-of-Finland ass to Raimi's masterpiece Spiderman 3, pancherello?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It wasn't bad if you ask me, but it wasn't as good/fun as Homecoming, or No Way Home.

Spider-man movies ranked from best to worst:

No Way Home/Spider-verse (honestly they are both so damn good)
Spider-man 2 (Tobey)
Spider-man (Tobey)
The Amazing Spider-man 2 (Garfield - honestly mainly because the suit was almost perfect)
Spider-man 3 (Tobey)
A Wet Shit In My Pants
Losing my dad at 20 in my front yard
The Last Jedi
The Amazing Spider-man (Garfield)

You think so? Spiderverse is still best for me. This felt still too much like fan service to me. As I said Spiderverse is more charming and more endearing.

I can't disagree there is a certain level of fan-service, yes. But it's like they righted many of the wrongs in the first 2 Holland movies. I actually like Homecoming, and loved the way they portrayed Adrian Toomes/Vulture. He was just fun, terrifying and he was fucking Michael Keaton.

Far From Home was... fun. It wasn't super great. But it was.. watchable. It gave me more of Holland-Spidey which I really like. I loved Mysterio's portrayal as well, but giving him EDITH, and still relying on Stark for tech/guidance/etc was a misstep and a hinderance.

But in No Way Home - I'll be as spoiler free as I can be here - Peter finally relies on himself and because he has to. He's lost/lost-er. Doesn't have anyone to hold his hand or provide him with weapons/suits/gadgets. He doesn't have Tony, or the Stark tech, or anything. It's very much a street-level Spider-man story. Yeah we've got the villains from the other franchises, so it's got that 'greater universe' thing to it, but all in all Peter is fighting his *own* rogues. Hes not off in space fighting Thanos, or becoming Cosmic Spidey.

There is no doubt that Spider-verse is top tier comic book movie and a VERY top tier Spider-man film. No argument here. But I have actually loved Tom Holland as Peter/Spider-man because he gives the character so much heart. Even with the Stark-backing in the first two movies, hes a broke kid, but still a genius. Hes bummed and having to really juggle being Spider-man and being with MJ, and school, etc. It's what drew me to the comics as a kid. I identified with Peter a lot, and naturally Spider-man is my favorite comic hero of all time. And I almost immediately embraced Miles' portrayal of Spider-man. When I first heard of him I thought it was a stupid woke-culture cash grab/publicity stunt. But then I read the issues and -holy shit, Miles is just another Peter. I love Miles almost as much as I love Peter.

I feel for the kid (Holland). He really encapsulates a lot of what I love about Spidey. So - sure, I can be a little biased and will run out to watch almost anything Spider-man related, but at the same time, I can also definitely hate the really shitty movies lol.

For all those that complained (rightly so) about the first two Holland movies making Peter too reliant on Stark, or too much of a mentee, or too young, etc. It's like the MCU finally got Peter/Spidey/His problems/strengths right. He's his own man by the end of the film. For better or worse. If we get more MCU Holland movies, or "Sony Spider-verse" Holland movies, I'll watch em. This whole trilogy can be looked at like it can be this Spider-man's origin story.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It wasn't bad if you ask me, but it wasn't as good/fun as Homecoming, or No Way Home.

Spider-man movies ranked from best to worst:

No Way Home/Spider-verse (honestly they are both so damn good)
Spider-man 2 (Tobey)
Spider-man (Tobey)
The Amazing Spider-man 2 (Garfield - honestly mainly because the suit was almost perfect)
Spider-man 3 (Tobey)
A Wet Shit In My Pants
Losing my dad at 20 in my front yard
The Last Jedi
The Amazing Spider-man (Garfield)

I can't disagree there is a certain level of fan-service, yes. But it's like they righted many of the wrongs in the first 2 Holland movies. I actually like Homecoming, and loved the way they portrayed Adrian Toomes/Vulture. He was just fun, terrifying and he was fucking Michael Keaton.

Far From Home was... fun. It wasn't super great. But it was.. watchable. It gave me more of Holland-Spidey which I really like. I loved Mysterio's portrayal as well, but giving him EDITH, and still relying on Stark for tech/guidance/etc was a misstep and a hinderance.

But in No Way Home - I'll be as spoiler free as I can be here - Peter finally relies on himself and because he has to. He's lost/lost-er. Doesn't have anyone to hold his hand or provide him with weapons/suits/gadgets. He doesn't have Tony, or the Stark tech, or anything. It's very much a street-level Spider-man story. Yeah we've got the villains from the other franchises, so it's got that 'greater universe' thing to it, but all in all Peter is fighting his *own* rogues. Hes not off in space fighting Thanos, or becoming Cosmic Spidey.

There is no doubt that Spider-verse is top tier comic book movie and a VERY top tier Spider-man film. No argument here. But I have actually loved Tom Holland as Peter/Spider-man because he gives the character so much heart. Even with the Stark-backing in the first two movies, hes a broke kid, but still a genius. Hes bummed and having to really juggle being Spider-man and being with MJ, and school, etc. It's what drew me to the comics as a kid. I identified with Peter a lot, and naturally Spider-man is my favorite comic hero of all time. And I almost immediately embraced Miles' portrayal of Spider-man. When I first heard of him I thought it was a stupid woke-culture cash grab/publicity stunt. But then I read the issues and -holy shit, Miles is just another Peter. I love Miles almost as much as I love Peter.

I feel for the kid (Holland). He really encapsulates a lot of what I love about Spidey. So - sure, I can be a little biased and will run out to watch almost anything Spider-man related, but at the same time, I can also definitely hate the really shitty movies lol.

For all those that complained (rightly so) about the first two Holland movies making Peter too reliant on Stark, or too much of a mentee, or too young, etc. It's like the MCU finally got Peter/Spidey/His problems/strengths right. He's his own man by the end of the film. For better or worse. If we get more MCU Holland movies, or "Sony Spider-verse" Holland movies, I'll watch em. This whole trilogy can be looked at like it can be this Spider-man's origin story.

I agree that he finally grows up in this film. The prospect of a future film is exciting but I’m not sure we’ll get one. I’d like another one even if wasn’t connected to the grander MCU.

As an aside The best guest appearance in the film was the first one.