Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This...

99.9% of people anymore don't give a fuck about the audio when watching things. Hell, most people are more than fine watching shit on their phones/tablets/computers. With the interwebs/social media/etc absorbing people's time any kind of movie is usually backround noise.

And even then if they watch it on a tv the vast majority of them are just using the tv speakers (which kinda suck on flat panel displas). Rarely does anyone even use those shitty soundbars let alone an actual dedicated HT setup.

So, why would YT care about the hassle/expense of doing anything more than just stereo audio? They don't have to try bc no one is going to use/appreciate it so less expense on their part = moar profit...
TBF, my iPad Pro was the sharpest screen in my house until a few years ago. (I now have a 4K TV and a 5K iMac.)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This...

99.9% of people anymore don't give a fuck about the audio when watching things. Hell, most people are more than fine watching shit on their phones/tablets/computers. With the interwebs/social media/etc absorbing people's time any kind of movie is usually backround noise.

And even then if they watch it on a tv the vast majority of them are just using the tv speakers (which kinda suck on flat panel displas). Rarely does anyone even use those shitty soundbars let alone an actual dedicated HT setup.

So, why would YT care about the hassle/expense of doing anything more than just stereo audio? They don't have to try bc no one is going to use/appreciate it so less expense on their part = moar profit...
Not to mention the target audience that actually WOULD give a shit about audio quality isn't the market who watches shitty compressed Youtube streams anyway.

If you care about a/v quality you're probably buying 4K discs, or at least pirating rips of them.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Here's the kind of movie YouTube is good for The Sword and the Sorcerer. It's cheesy b movie crap not worth buying but I haven't seen it in like 30 years. Rifftraks covers it but I want to watch it without commentary.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Rewatched Once Upon a Time in America last night. It's amazing to me (or maybe it isn't, I guess) that when people think about Sergio Leone, the ones people think of and love are Fistful, Few Dollars More, and Good/Bad/Ugly, while Once Upon a Time in the West, Duck, You Sucker, and Once Upon a Time in America really fly under the radar. Either kind of forgotten or never seen in the first place. But they are such vastly superior films.

I get that part of it is the former three have a decades-long head start, as they were released complete from the beginning, while the US initially only got heavily butchered releases of the latter three. Especially of Once Upon a Time in the West/America, with an hour or so missing from each...completely ruining them. Duck, You Sucker missing about a half hour. And in the cases of West and Sucker, that wasn't fixed until into the 2000s. But still. Comparing Fistful of Dollars to Once Upon a Time in the West is like comparing a Marvel movie to Godfather 2. Get your shit together, people.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Not to mention the target audience that actually WOULD give a shit about audio quality isn't the market who watches shitty compressed Youtube streams anyway.

If you care about a/v quality you're probably buying 4K discs, or at least pirating rips of them.

Yup, pretty much. Much prefer to watch a movie on 4K disc than any streaming service. Even more so if the stream isn't even a 4K one. I swear the 1080p stream on Netflix is purposely shitty to try and sell you on the 4K subscription.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Comparing Fistful of Dollars to Once Upon a Time in the West is like comparing a Marvel movie to Godfather 2.
Hahaha, pretty much.

Once Upon a Time in the West is sooooo under-rated. Probably my favorite of Leone's. I haven't seen America in years and I'm actually not sure I've ever seen the proper full cut, need to fix that one of these days.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The greatest western of all time is underrated?
By the public at large, yes. You know it is, I know it is. But the vast majority of the people around the world, even those who love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly every time it comes on TBS or wherever, have never seen it. Maybe haven't even heard of it. Although again, part of that is that the full movie was never even really available to watch in the US until the 2000s.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I think a lot of people would probably say Good, Bad and the Ugly is better. Or like Unforgiven or Tombstone or some shit.

Once Upon a Time in the West is so good though. That opening scene with Bronson getting off the train is just perfection.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Good to see how far - and how little - we have grown.

Errybody wants to be a cowboy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Tombstone is another Marvel movie. I love it, but it's held up pretty much by Kilmer's performance alone. It's also got one of the limpest endings of all time. Like they really didn't know how to wrap it up and had to rely on sudden narration out of nowhere to make it seem like they had an ending.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Good to see how far - and how little - we have grown.

Errybody wants to be a cowboy.
Yeah, I was purposely avoiding calling it a trilogy in my above post hoping not to get into that whole thing again. So thanks for that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Tombstone is another Marvel movie. I love it, but it's held up pretty much by Kilmer's performance alone. It's also got one of the limpest endings of all time. Like they really didn't know how to wrap it up and had to rely on sudden narration out of nowhere to make it seem like they had an ending.

Also Wyatt Earp was a murderous bastard and not really a hero IRL.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Also Wyatt Earp was a murderous bastard and not really a hero IRL.
One thing I did like about that movie is they don't portray the Earp family being lawmen as some kind of moral stand for justice or whatever. It's a hustle. And if becoming the house dealer at a bar will pay more, Wyatt will happily do that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Licorice Pizza- Actually went to the theater for the first time in almost 3 years for this one. Big fan of PT Anderson's stuff so I went into this one with little knowledge up front. I thought it was great, excellent cast, period accurate, awesome soundtrack and just a very enjoyable tone. Has a lot in common with some of Woody Allen's better stuff. The main complaints I've heard are the loose structure and the somewhat implausible idea of the main characters being interested in each other but it works similar to the way Lost in Translation works.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Re-watched Doomsday several nights ago, hadn't watched it in quite some time but I remembered liking it, and I definitely still do. The setpieces (especially Fine Young Cannibals, the duel, and the chase) are all really well done, and Neil Marshall's penchant for gore remains hilarious to me. Probably going to have to run through Marshall's other stuff again soon, I never get tired of watching The Descent and Dog Soldiers and I don't think I've actually re-watched Centurion at all.

Also finally saw Nightmare Alley - I liked it a lot. Cooper nailed the role IMO and I especially liked how every minute of the movie, his character is entirely to blame for everything that happens to him. Actually really liked the slow-ish pacing as well, worked very well in this case.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally saw The Suicide Squad. It was okay. About on par with lower end Marvel movies like Ant Man or something. It didn't make me angry for wasting my time like the half of Birds of Prey I watched, but not great by any means. I'm not even sure I'd call it good. I guess the hype comes from the absurdly low bar DC movies have set up the past several years. I'll never watch it again.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Finally saw The Suicide Squad. It was okay. About on par with lower end Marvel movies like Ant Man or something. It didn't make me angry for wasting my time like the half of Birds of Prey I watched, but not great by any means. I'm not even sure I'd call it good. I guess the hype comes from the absurdly low bar DC movies have set up the past several years. I'll never watch it again.
Yeah, it's a pretty average movie. But it gave us the gift of the Peacemaker series, so I'm glad it exists.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Re-watched Doomsday several nights ago, hadn't watched it in quite some time but I remembered liking it, and I definitely still do. The setpieces (especially Fine Young Cannibals, the duel, and the chase) are all really well done, and Neil Marshall's penchant for gore remains hilarious to me. Probably going to have to run through Marshall's other stuff again soon, I never get tired of watching The Descent and Dog Soldiers and I don't think I've actually re-watched Centurion at all.
I totally forgot about Doomsday, I liked it a lot. I remember it coming out when a bunch of weirdo one-off action stuff was seemingly coming out every week. Shoot em Up, Death Race, Gamer, Wanted there were a bunch in a couple years there.

Reactions: jro

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched Highlander last night. Hadn’t seen it in probably 25 years. The 80s were wild.

Is it true Highlander 2 is one of the worst movies of all time? Do I dare watch it…?

Why does the Highlander series have 7 seasons and why are there like 10 movies…? I know retcons abound but wtf…Connor was the last immortal standing at the end of the original lol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's a pretty average movie. But it gave us the gift of the Peacemaker series, so I'm glad it exists.
It's not a great sign that the most excited I got about anything in the movie was when the credits rolled and I realized the doctor character right at the beginning who had one line was played by John Ostrander.
I watched Highlander last night. Hadn’t seen it in probably 25 years. The 80s were wild.

Is it true Highlander 2 is one of the worst movies of all time? Do I dare watch it…?

Why does the Highlander series have 7 seasons and why are there like 10 movies…? I know retcons abound but wtf…Connor was the last immortal standing at the end of the original lol.
The original cut of Highlander 2 is firmly in the "so bad that it's hilarious" camp. It's revealed that the immortals are actually aliens from a planet called Geist. That was so wildly unpopular with absolutely everyone that they recut the movie, rearranged the order of some scenes, and looped a lot of dialogue to change it that they were humans sent into the past from the distant future. Which really is just as bad, just not as funny anymore. The recut version instead of being hilariously bad is now just bland and bad. And unfortunately, that's the only version available anywhere now. Maybe you can find a used copy of the original cut on decades out of print dvd or vhs.

All of the sequel movies are bad. None are worth watching (other than maybe the original theatrical cut of Highlander 2 for sheer slack-jawed disbelief). But the tv show is. It starts a little rocky but is decent by the end of the first season. Then from the beginning of season 2 until maybe season 5, it's fucking fantastic. Arguably better than the first movie.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Amazon Prime appears to have the theatrical cut of Highlander 2 along with the redone “renegade” version as they appear to call it.

I’ll get some beer and watch Highlander 2 and then maybe watch the series lol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amazon Prime appears to have the theatrical cut of Highlander 2 along with the redone “renegade” version as they appear to call it.

I’ll get some beer and watch Highlander 2 and then maybe watch the series lol.
My Prime had Highlander 2 without the "Renegade Cut" label, but it was still the recut version, not the original. I was very disappointed.

You can tell pretty close to the beginning when MacLeod hears Connery's voice: "Remember, Highlander... Remember planet Geist." Which leads into a flashback of them on the alien planet (already having known each other, prior to events in the first movie).

In the recut version, the Connery voice over just says, "Remember, Highlander..." and then leads into the same flashback, but now supposedly set in Earth's distant future. If you get to this point and it's this version, just turn the movie off and don't bother.

edit: FUCK. It's planet Zeist. Not Geist.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo