Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If you read Wikipedia, he more or less had the same role on Corpse Bride that he did on Nightmare... it was his idea and he guided the story beats but someone else actually oversaw the production and filming.

"Tim knew where he wanted the film to go as far as the emotional tone and story points to hit. My job was to work with the crew on a daily basis and get the footage as close as possible to how I thought he wanted it."

So yeah, it's always tough with animated films but it sounds like he was largely off filming his Wonka movie while Corpse Bride was actually being made.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Skinamarink
I saw this last week and loved it. But if you told me you hated it, I'd understand. First of all, it's paranormal horror, which is usually pretty divisive. Second, it's very. very. slow. It basically brings you back to when you were a kid and you'd see things in the dark. The noise and grain effects they use force your eyes to play tricks on you, and they slowly build on that. I think you'd really have to be in the mood for this kind of meandering shoegaze movie. Also, only watch it in the dark.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Terrifier 2

2 hours and 18 minutes is too long for a slasher movie. It's not bad and I remember reading people getting sick at screenings but it wasn't that gross.

If you're an Art fan, it's more of the same.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Skinamarink
I saw this last week and loved it. But if you told me you hated it, I'd understand.
My buddy absolutely loved the movie and told me pretty much the same thing. They already lost me with the trailer. That has to be one of the most pretentious and up it's own ass things I've ever seen. It looked like if a shitty Panos Cosmatos knockoff made Paranormal Activity. That is also one of the worst titles to anything ever.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Tetris

What a load of stupid fun. I know there are some things accurate but a whole lot of bullshit in a movie about closing a business deal. The KGB and car chase, all bullshit but a lot of fun. It makes want to see the new Air movie or whatever it's called about getting Michael Jordan for Nike shoes although I bet that one will be more accurate.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Mario movie
Better than expected, but I set pretty low expectations. They kinda made luigi a bit of a bitch, but I think that is how he is perceived in Japan. Good pacing throughout the movie. It doesnt spend too much time trying to justify its existence, it just moves forward going from scene to scene. Nothing really makes sense, and that's seemed to work just fine. Checks all the boxes in terms of self referencing the games too. Peach looked a little weird to me, but the rest of the characters where extremely well done. Jack Black really landed a good Bowser. Evil, but in a goofy way.

Just keep in mind it's a kids movie and I think it's fine. B- from me.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Mario movie
Better than expected, but I set pretty low expectations. They kinda made luigi a bit of a bitch, but I think that is how he is perceived in Japan. Good pacing throughout the movie. It doesnt spend too much time trying to justify its existence, it just moves forward going from scene to scene. Nothing really makes sense, and that's seemed to work just fine. Checks all the boxes in terms of self referencing the games too. Peach looked a little weird to me, but the rest of the characters where extremely well done. Jack Black really landed a good Bowser. Evil, but in a goofy way.

Just keep in mind it's a kids movie and I think it's fine. B- from me.

I saw The Mario movie today as well...much better than I was expecting. And yes, Jack Black did a good job with Bowser.

Really pretty impressive how many cute characters exist in the mario universe. As soon as we got home my kids were on Amazon looking for plushies :oops:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
It's Melville marathon tonight with Mrs. KGB.

I am a self-proclaimed JP Melville nerd, and quite love the French New Wave era and film noir in general. I periodically revisit most of his films, but my faves include Le Cercle Rouge, Le Samouraï and L'Armée des Ombres / Army of Shadows. I think the Mrs. keeps coming back for the regular Alain Delon appearances, but who can blame her (swoon)? The one and only Tom Ripley.

Happy viewing this weekend, folks.

Attachments

• IMG_8150.jpg
    IMG_8150.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 3

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Downloaded a rip of Shazam 2.

Wack. Its like Zachary Levi decided to regress his Billy Batson age to like 12 when he's evidently nearly 18 in the movie. Someone should have caught that and given him some notes. I get it from the first movie because hes that much younger and all but now, hes still acting 12? Wack.

Helen Mirren finally got old-lady old, but still would - without hesitation.

Edit: one thing I did like - (ok 2 things). The guy from the old Shazam show showed up wearing a red and yellow shirt, and called him Captain Marvel.

Other than that -wack.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hatchet- Dumb gory fun. I totally forgot that super annoying blonde chick from Buffy shows her tits lol. Too bad the rest of the series isn't as good. They got Danielle Harris but the sequels she's in just aren't fun. Victory Crowley tries to but it's just so cheap that it kind of ruins everything else.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yeah, finally realized that a Boll-a-thon was a good way to make me want to slit my wrists. I actually got through Rampage Capital Punishment and about 10 minutes of Assault on Wall Street and then came back to my senses a bit, but Brendan Fletcher is apparently in EVERYfuckingthing I watch now, WTF (srsly, he's in Violent Night and The Last of Us all of which I watched in the last three days he's haunting me). RCP is really dumb, also, I know, shocking for a Uwe Boll film. The first one still sort of fascinates me in its foreshadowing of current day massacres, but that's my problem.

Anyway, also watched:

They/Them - eh, fine. Inclusiveness is cool and all, maybe coulda gone with a little less gay weiner.

Violent Night - better than I expected it to be, clever script, good acting from Harbour and Leguizamo and Judy Gemstone as herself. Recommended.

Mid Century - yeah no. Dumb. "Twist" isn't one. Not a fan.

Train to Busan - third or fourth time through this, still adore it. Best zombie movie since either 28 Weeks or 28 Days depending on taste. Going to re-watch Peninsula next I think.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Wrecking Crew- Documentary about the fantastic group of session musicians out of LA that worked with everyone from Sinatra to The Mommas and the Papas. They played on most the best records to come out from the late 50 though the mid 70s, mostly uncredited. Just a really incredible amount of talent working at the right place at the right time. The documentary itself is alright, a little amateurish but there's enough good clips and interviews to make it worthwhile.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Night of the Tommyknockers

Western horror where some miners looking for gold accidentally release creatures that like leprechauns want their gold back. No cg monsters in this one just hokey creature suits. Richard Grieco is still alive and stars in it. Not great but I thought it was fun.

Not as bad as I was expecting and enjoyed it for what it is.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Twister- Well that did not age well. Jurassic Park had the good sense to not over use it's CG, this movie is proof that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It's also just not a very good movie, at all. Lots of great actors but the script is garbage, it's predictable, hokey and extremely dumb in a very 90s summer blockbuster way. I never thought it was amazing or anything but man it's barely better than a Roland Emerich movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I saw Twister when it came out, I was 8 years old. I loved that movie, rewatched it so many times on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I can still remember the excitement in the theater. God I can't remember the last time I watched a movie in the theater with palpable excitement. Those were the days man.

fake

15 Year Member
Coma
Not particularly good, but I like it a lot. A doctor notices a strangely high number of surgery patients ending up in a coma and gets in over her head. When I watched the trailer I thought it felt very Michael Crichton. Surprise, he was the writer and director. There's some super cool imagery in it – there's an automated facility where they keep all the coma patients, which was wild enough for Kojima to copy it in Policenauts. The exterior location for that is less than 10 mins from my place so I'm going to drive by it this week.

fake

15 Year Member
Dressed to Kill
Pretty schlocky and you can see the plot unfolding from a mile away. Not DePalma's finest hour. There's bush though.

Body Heat
Much better. Good plot (though a lot of it is lifted from other noire stuff), lots of great actors, etc. Def recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dressed to kill is still pretty awesome, predictable shlock and all.

Blade- It's still a lot of fun but jeez is it late 90s as fuck. It also has serious tone problems, it takes itself super serious but there's tons of goofy bullshit and Snipes one liners are eye rolling to say the least. Performances are all over the place, the effects range from awesome to laughable and the CG is just terrible and terribly used. Still there's something to it.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army- Not as good as the first one, I think it's a little too big for it's own good in a lot of ways. The sappy romance stuff is also bit too much and poorly handled. But like the first one the cast and characters are great, it's incredibly creative and has some really fun stuff. There's some amazing sets, costumes and creature designs. The action choreography is pretty strong when it's not being overshadowed by all the big CG set pieces. As a sequel I think it falls a little short from what it could have been but I'm glad it got made and 2008 is right before the comic movie explosion so it also seems free from a lot of studio interference that I'm sure would have happened just a couple years later. I think the biggest problem is that it feels way more like a Del Toro story than a Hellboy one. There's still a lot to like though.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Hellboy II: The Golden Army- Not as good as the first one, I think it's a little too big for it's own good in a lot of ways. The sappy romance stuff is also bit too much and poorly handled. But like the first one the cast and characters are great, it's incredibly creative and has some really fun stuff. There's some amazing sets, costumes and creature designs. The action choreography is pretty strong when it's not being overshadowed by all the big CG set pieces. As a sequel I think it falls a little short from what it could have been but I'm glad it got made and 2008 is right before the comic movie explosion so it also seems free from a lot of studio interference that I'm sure would have happened just a couple years later. I think the biggest problem is that it feels way more like a Del Toro story than a Hellboy one. There's still a lot to like though.

I just remember that market scene with all of the puppeteering and practical makeup and fx work was wild and that I wanted to like it much more than I did.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Rise of The Beast

Activists plan on raiding a secret animal testing laboratory and encounter more than they bargained for. Twenty years ago we would complain about the terrible creature costume but today it's horrid cgi. Feels like a syfy film.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I just remember that market scene with all of the puppeteering and practical makeup and fx work was wild and that I wanted to like it much more than I did.
Yeah I was a little disappointed by it when it came out but I enjoyed it well enough this time around. There's obviously a tremendous amount of work that went into it but the titular Golden Army and the evil elf prince just don't hold a candle to Rasputin and the nazis from the first as far as badguys go. That's a big problem. It also seems to lack momentum due to it being kind of bloated feeling.