Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean my point was that it's childish and small-minded to crucify people over a simple difference of opinion but hey, far be it from me to get in the way of a lynch mob here.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I mean my point was that it's childish and small-minded to crucify people over a simple difference of opinion but hey, far be it from me to get in the way of a lynch mob here.
Different strokes for different folks
So on and so on and scooby dooby doo

I'm also one of those sick David Lynch homers. :D
I'm a live and let live kind of guy though, there's no accounting for taste. And Lord knows I like a lot of questionable stuff.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I totally get people digging David Lynch. I really like some of his movies (Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Blue Velvet) but his diehards contain some of the most insufferable film snobs and autistic "this tiny little moment is ACKSHUALLY <insert convoluted, pseudo-intellectual prattle here>" wankery. It's why I talk about movies here where only a handful of people give a shit and never in dedicated places for movie conversations.

It was just a Spies Like Us reference anyway.

Shame on me for missing it. Though to be fair, I saw that movie once almost 30 years ago.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shame on me for missing it. Though to be fair, I saw that movie once almost 30 years ago.
It's only that 5 seconds that's worth remembering. Pretty much the entire rest of the movie is horseshit. Even the rest of that scene before and after is pretty rough.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Fatal Attraction
Really enjoyable for how OTT it is. Everything from the sex scenes to the violence to teh drama is just ridiculous.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
A Futile and Stupid Gesture- Biopic on Doug Kenney the main guy behind National Lampoon magazine, Animal House and Caddyshack. It covers the period from his college days working on the Harvard Lampoon through his death shortly after Caddyshack. It shows him basically jump starting careers to a who's who of 80s comedy legends. Kenney is played by Will Forte and he is flanked by an absolutely huge supporting cast with recognizable people from Upright Citizens Brigade, The State, SNL plus bunch of others and it's directed by David Wain. Kenney is a guy that never really got the credit he deserved with the general public and sadly died too early. Recommended.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Cocaine Bear

The film can't figure out what type of film it is, buddy film, horror, thriller, comedy or parent saves child, etc. Because of that it's all over the place and not particularly satisfying. It has some good moments, you should laugh but there's a lot of missed opportunities. The bear cg isn't completely laughable.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
Cocaine Bear

The film can't figure out what type of film it is, buddy film, horror, thriller, comedy or parent saves child, etc. Because of that it's all over the place and not particularly satisfying. It has some good moments, you should laugh but there's a lot of missed opportunities. The bear cg isn't completely laughable.
Cocaine Bear is one of those movies where it’s absurdity and not taking itself seriously is what made me appreciate it. It does fill up that horror comedy part well, but the others not so much. Also RIP Ray Liotta

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Random weird shit I suppose.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods: not bad, but also not anywhere near as charming as the first one. The cameos are by far the best part (both the in-movie one and the credits one, way to shit on the rest of film guys!), and that makes it pretty clear that this will not be much missed in the Gunn-pocalypse. Does make me wanna see Peacemaker S2 sooner than later, though.

The Price We Pay: Hirsch and Dorff cast opposite the usual makes for a decent enough heist/Chainsaw Massacre ripoff. Hirsch, in particular, is clearly very much enjoying chewing the scenery like he's fucking Jaws, and it works, oddly enough. The ending is bonkers and just keeps going and going somehow doesn't outstay its welcome. Worth spending 85 minutes on.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: yeah, still a classic. The final act though, IMO, is easily the weakest part of the movie, when it relies on hammy performances instead of the "holy shit that dude just got murdered in 10 seconds" factor of the rest of the movie. Grandpa rules.

House of the Devil (rewatch): Ti West may be the best horror movie maker going right now, he just doesn't do volume. This, X, Pearl, cameo in You're Next, underrated (though yes unnecessary) Cabin Fever remake, not much else, he makes good stuff. HotD is still really, really good. Third time or so that I've watched it and still not remotely bored. Not a single shot is wasted, excellent sense of escalating tension.

The Endless (rewatch): I ended up appreciating this much more on second watch, had a better feel, I guess, for what they were going for with the story and performances. Really, really good. Will join Convergence, Primer, and Upstream Color on my annual-ish rewatch list (yes I know there are those that might take issue with the last one on that list in particular).

Terrifier (rewatch): I think I left your oven on too. It's bad. The sequel is better, I think, but only because the kills are more creative. Dumb as hell, don't bother once, let alone a second time.

Fast 9: fuck me, people spend time and money to watch these fucking things? Diesel's character is basically Challenger Jesus, Letty is invincible Tec-9 Mary, and everyone that's ever been a bad guy in the series is somehow now on Dom's side. I thought maybe John Cena and Luda and Tyrese could get me through it but no, this is fucking terrible. The series is so, so bad. It's MCU, but also crack addict level of ADHD. Seeing Fast X bomb and lose money like it's currently doing is just nice to see. Will Universal have the balls to tell Vin to fuck off and stop losing their money? Well probably not but we can dream of a just world where Vin Diesel had to keep his birth name.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
House of the Devil (rewatch): Ti West may be the best horror movie maker going right now, he just doesn't do volume. This, X, Pearl, cameo in You're Next, underrated (though yes unnecessary) Cabin Fever remake, not much else, he makes good stuff. HotD is still really, really good. Third time or so that I've watched it and still not remotely bored. Not a single shot is wasted, excellent sense of escalating tension.
Have you seen the western he made?

Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Have you seen the western he made?
Sheeit! I forgot the IMDB for a second there, you mean In A Valley of Violence? Indeed I have. I forgot he made that. Added to re-watchlist ASAP, that's a damn A-list cast working for a savant indie guy, liked it a lot IIRC. I also forgot that TW made The Sacrament, which I also like very much.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Hot Spot- Neo noir directed by Dennis Hopper from 1990. Starring Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connolly. Johnson is a drifter that ends up in a small Texas town and quickly finds himself tangled in an increasingly complicated web of sex, robbery and blackmail. Fittingly hot and lurid with plenty of nudity, backstabbing and general sleaze. Excellent performances all around, especially by Madsen as a devious and bored sexpot trophy wife who must have Johnson by any means necessary. Great locations and a fantastic blues soundtrack. I'd put this in the same class as Body Heat, Basic Instinct and Wild Things. Oh yeah and a young Jennifer Connolly is quite naked.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
@terry.330 I love Upstream Color. Also the first 10 minutes from House of the Devil are so good. I think he shot it on 16mm and for those first few scenes you could really think it was made in the 80s. And the title card. Holy shit.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Different strokes for different folks
So on and so on and scooby dooby doo

I'm also one of those sick David Lynch homers. :D
I'm a live and let live kind of guy though, there's no accounting for taste. And Lord knows I like a lot of questionable stuff.
I have watched Lost Highway 10+ times and it still makes no sense.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Rosemary's Baby- A classic and hugely influential movie, I have to imagine it was pretty shocking back in 1968. Mia Farrow is excellent and her natural frailness (and mental instability) really add a lot to the character. She seems as if she is on the brink of hysterics at all times but it still seems like a very natural performance. In fact the movie is surprisingly natural feeling. I was surprised by the ending, it took the premise a little further than I thought it would. It manages to avoid being too gimmicky while being just far fetched enough to make it effectively surreal. It's incredible to see how much was ripped off from this over the next decade. I'd say this is easily as one of the best horror movies of it's era.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Brian and Charles

Quirky loner nerd inventor who makes really worthless inventions like a pinecone bag, which is just a bag with pinecones glued to it accidentally builds a sentient robot with a washing machine for a torso who is voiced by the angry guy who was going to cut corners in the IT Crowd.

It was... eh. It was like watching a sci-fi Napoleon Dynamite.

Just go watch Gentlemen Broncos again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Brian and Charles

Quirky loner nerd inventor who makes really worthless inventions like a pinecone bag, which is just a bag with pinecones glued to it accidentally builds a sentient robot with a washing machine for a torso who is voiced by the angry guy who was going to cut corners in the IT Crowd.

It was... eh. It was like watching a sci-fi Napoleon Dynamite.

Just go watch Gentlemen Broncos again.
I saw a the trailer for that and it just came off as too goofy and half assed for it's own good. Plus it looked like they tried really hard to have sappy elements like a love interest or the robot wanting to be an individual and the inventor coming to terms with that. Seemed like they would seriously drag down the comedy.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
SPL [slash, sigh, "Kill Zone" for us North American 'tards] (third or fourth or so re-watch) - I still love it. The one bad guy, the one with the knife, he makes Yen and Lau so much better. And then Hung, so much fun. I have it in the top four of my favorite action movies of all-time along with The Raid, The Raid 2, and, spoiler I guess, next on list. Takes a bit to get going then just goes balls to the wall for the last 45 mintutes straight.

The Night Comes for Us (re-watch) - jeebus I had forgotten how brutal this is. The fight scenes are mostly insanely good and then the story is actually really good as well. Liked it better than I had remembered even on re-watch. Iko Uwais, man, dude is something else. Similar to SPL in pacing, come to think of it- builds up tension in first 45 minutes then goes HAM for the rest of the runtime. I really like Uwais as a bad guy, he has charisma to spare. I suppose I'm going to have to re-watch Triple Threat one of these days but Uwais is significantly better than Jaa ever was I suspect.

Re-Animator - um, I guess? This is at least somewhat revered in various circles? Boring. Bad. Lovecraft would curse the minorities and roll in his grave.

From Beyond - fuck me, somehow even worse than RA. Jeffrey Combs should have been traded for Oliver North's best friends or a hotdog or something, that bitch was a terrible actor. Not that the scripts were worth a shit, but c'mon. HPL, once again, says fuck all non-Aryans and goes back to sleep.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Re-Animator - um, I guess? This is at least somewhat revered in various circles? Boring. Bad. Lovecraft would curse the minorities and roll in his grave.

From Beyond - fuck me, somehow even worse than RA. Jeffrey Combs should have been traded for Oliver North's best friends or a hotdog or something, that bitch was a terrible actor. Not that the scripts were worth a shit, but c'mon. HPL, once again, says fuck all non-Aryans and goes back to sleep.
Dude, seriously?