Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
We saw "Insomnia" last night and was thoroughly disappointed. I'm not a fan of Robin Williams to begin with, let alone "serious" Robin Williams.

We wanted to see an Al Pacino movie, so it was between that and "Serpico." The gf looked at me after the movie and said "Serpico probably would have been the better choice...."

I'll put that in the "Win" column.

Reactions: wyo

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
We saw "Insomnia" last night and was thoroughly disappointed. I'm not a fan of Robin Williams to begin with, let alone "serious" Robin Williams.

We wanted to see an Al Pacino movie, so it was between that and "Serpico." The gf looked at me after the movie and said "Serpico probably would have been the better choice...."

I'll put that in the "Win" column.

That movie is bad...I saw it back when it was current and remember being disappointed.

The only serious movie I ever saw Williams in that I found enjoyable was One Hour Photo.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Sicario
Awesome thriller with some great shots!

Cinematography was top notch.

Too bad no Blunt tatas.

I want to see this but no theater near me has it

On topic:

Dead Hooker In A Trunk
-a Canadian "grindhouse" movie that is really good, thankfully it doesn't go as off the rails like Hobo With A Shotgun did. Best random cameo in a movie goes to El Mariachi himself

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Bone Tomahawk

Saw this on Redbox & decided to check it out. Fucking awesome cast & performance was excellent by everyone. Kurt Russell brought back his Tombstone role in this. Jenkins & Wilson also good. Mathew Fox was the best of the bunch.

Very slow western but the dialogue keeps you interested, along with the character actions among each other. I just love westerns & this isn't as depressing as The Homesman but equally disturbing. There is a real brutal death scene you will have to try to see without flinching. You guys should check it out.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
That death scene was like a fatality in a modern MK game. I really liked Bone Tomahawk. Best thing Mathew Fox has done since Speed Racer.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I actually just picked up the bluray of Bone Tomahawk from Wal Mart for 15 bucks, haven't watched yet but its good to hear other people say its good, I'd have been fine based on Kurt Russell's presence alone but it doesn't hurt that everything I've heard so far has been positive

Edit: nice avatar Genji I love me some Robot Detective K

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hateful Eight was probably the least masturbatory movie Tarantino has released since Reservoir Dogs.

Some of the social commentary was extremely well done. Concepts of good and evil seemed whitewashed against the racism and misogyny of the old west, which for me was thought provoking.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Hateful Eight was probably the least masturbatory movie Tarantino has released since Reservoir Dogs.

Some of the social commentary was extremely well done. Concepts of good and evil seemed whitewashed against the racism and misogyny of the old west, which for me was thought provoking.
Hateful Eight is being released on 70mm film, so that would be the best way of seeing it (the first widely released film to be on 70mm in about 20 years).

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I wouldn't call it a wide release.

I just got done watching it though. I think wasabi's comments are accurate.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I wouldn't call it a wide release.

I just got done watching it though. I think wasabi's comments are accurate.
I meant it was a wide release in the sense that the film has been widely released on 35mm film. I guess the the 70mm version isn't being widely released. So, overall, I would call it a widely released movie. Not many theatres have the projection equipment to show 70mm films, so that restricts how many screens they can show it on.
Just about all of Tarantino's films (that I've seen) are good. Maybe some are better than others, but they're all good. He's one of those directors that never really makes a bad movie.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Green Inferno - I wonder if Lorenza Izzo and Sheri Moon Zombie ever sit and talk and go "hey I wonder why no one casts me besides my husband." Anyway, I tend to be an Eli Roth apologist, most of the time. This was easily his worst movie. Just awful. The writing was horrendous, and the performances suffered, severely, for it. Considering it did sit on the shelf for 2 years before Roth could get anyone to actually release it, I don't see how it didn't just die beforehand.

Honestly, it was terrible. The gore was sort of decent, but overall it was the worst movie I've seen in at least a year or so. Recommended to no one.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Concepts of good and evil seemed whitewashed against the racism and misogyny of the old west, which for me was thought provoking.

Have to agree here. The old west seemed like hell...it was a well done film, and I'm glad the 70mm existed. Awesome experience!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Blade Runner: Final Cut- In the theater. Sure it was digital or whatever but shit just seeing it that big. Fuck, looked and sounded pretty great.

The theater parking lot was full but there was only three other people in the screening. Even worse one guy got up and walked out halfway through and left a bunch of food garbage.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Blade Runner: Final Cut- In the theater. Sure it was digital or whatever but shit just seeing it that big. Fuck, looked and sounded pretty great.

The theater parking lot was full but there was only three other people in the screening. Even worse one guy got up and walked out halfway through and left a bunch of food garbage.

How the fuck do you walk out of Blade Runner???!

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
How the fuck do you walk out of Blade Runner???!

I saw it in the cinema back when it was originally released, 1982 i think, hard to believe but it was slated in some quarters and considered average back then, now considered a classic of the genre and rightly so.
You can't beat seeing it on the big screen.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Saw Turbo Kid last night, pretty fun and entertaining. Lots of the old ultra violence.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Saw Turbo Kid last night, pretty fun and entertaining. Lots of the old ultra violence.

I wish there were more "fun" movies like that...I really enjoyed it.

You know, besides The Martian...the rental scene has been total shit. I've been looking at the rental release calendar and it is just garbage.

I'll see Deadpool in the theater a few weeks after it comes out, but that is even nearly a month off...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I wish there were more "fun" movies like that...I really enjoyed it.

You know, besides The Martian...the rental scene has been total shit. I've been looking at the rental release calendar and it is just garbage.

I'll see Deadpool in the theater a few weeks after it comes out, but that is even nearly a month off...

Where the hell is Crimson Peak? That ought to be out any time now, right? The, uh, Last Witch Hunter is out next week.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

Turbokid was an absolute joy, I just watched Lady Snowblood for the first time the other night, that was a lot of fun, other than that I've been balls deep into the US releases by Arrow Video, lots of classic Japanese films in their catalogue already and I just picked up a Nikkatsu Diamond Guys boxset that includes three films that I can't wait to crack open

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Turbokid was an absolute joy, I just watched Lady Snowblood for the first time the other night, that was a lot of fun, other than that I've been balls deep into the US releases by Arrow Video, lots of classic Japanese films in their catalogue already and I just picked up a Nikkatsu Diamond Guys boxset that includes three films that I can't wait to crack open

Heard some good things about Nikkatsu Diamond Guys. I wanted to buy Arrow's Society Blu ray but now it's like $90, holy shit!

Turbo Kid was awesome. Hollywood will not make movies like that anymore.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Heard some good things about Nikkatsu Diamond Guys. I wanted to buy Arrow's Society Blu ray but now it's like $90, holy shit!

Turbo Kid was awesome. Hollywood will not make movies like that anymore.

The 90 dollar version is the limited edition that comes with some extra stuff which sold out and is now being sold by scalpers, if you just want the movie you can pick up their standard edition copy for around 30 bucks, thats the copy I have

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I Dream of Wires- Very good doc. on the history of modular synthesizers.

Ironclad- A small group of Templar knights defend a small castle from King John.

Turbo Kid

All highly recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, Paul Giamati did a great job being totally despicable.