Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
The reshoots were not sufficiently clarified. The guy who played captain boomerang said that it was not reshot to be more funny, as a response to allegations of a Deadpool effect; I agree. The movie wasn't funny at all.

I think the reshoots may have come down to the producers feeling very uncomfortable with the camera work that focused on solo closeup of each actor on screen. This is something that is normal in comic books, but as an experiment, fails horribly on film. Characters had very little chemistry with each other. Many simply failed to develop whatsoever.

Always a problem with comic book team films. A comic book reader has the patience to read through multiple issues as it develops the characters.

Then again outside of Claremont and Peter David... X-Men both film and comic suffer from characters existing simply for their powers to solve problems.

I'd love to see a film or show based on the Runaways, but I sort of think the first thing they'd fuck it up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Concerning SS, I'll wait for the rental to come out. I'm guessing the "extended cut" will be much better than the theater. On that note, I've heard that the Batman v Superman extended cut on Blu Ray is actually much better.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saw SS for practically nothing. With lowered expectations and a minimal investment it was serviceable but yeah, it's a total mess and REEKS of executive meddling. I enjoyed several of the actors/characters: Viola Davis even though I would've preferred CCH Pounder, Will Smith playing himself playing Deadshot, Harley was fine if a little overemphasized and Diablo was well setup even though they did jack shit with him). Hell even Jai Courtney was mildly amusing with what little they gave him.

But MAN....

Hot Topic Joker, much like the "humor" in the movie, alternated between being amusing and cringe-inducing multiple times per scene.

Enchantress's bloodless plant people, in addition to looking stupid, were just a lame excuse to have endless gunfights with no blood.

That whole final sequence was a total fucking mess.

Yeah, wait for a director's cut and then just rent/steal that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Saw SS for practically nothing. With lowered expectations and a minimal investment it was serviceable but yeah, it's a total mess and REEKS of executive meddling. I enjoyed several of the actors/characters: Viola Davis even though I would've preferred CCH Pounder, Will Smith playing himself playing Deadshot, Harley was fine if a little overemphasized and Diablo was well setup even though they did jack shit with him). Hell even Jai Courtney was mildly amusing with what little they gave him.

But MAN....

Hot Topic Joker, much like the "humor" in the movie, alternated between being amusing and cringe-inducing multiple times per scene.

Enchantress's bloodless plant people, in addition to looking stupid, were just a lame excuse to have endless gunfights with no blood.

That whole final sequence was a total fucking mess.

Yeah, wait for a director's cut and then just rent/steal that.

I'm really reserving judgement on Leto's Joker but yeah...seems WAY to typical commercial to me. The second I saw that early-on Leto-Joker stupid picture with the word "damaged" tattooed across his forehead...I knew it was probably going to be limp.

With that said, it would be hard if not impossible to top Heath Ledger's dark, twisted, real-world (and believable) version of the Joker. At this point...you'd basically have to just do a completely different version instead of attempting to top what he did.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Finally got round to watching the new disney jungle book and really liked it.
I wanted so bad to dog it because i love the original cartoon version, but nope i can't, thoroughly enjoyed it.

100proof

10 Year Member
I'm really reserving judgement on Leto's Joker but yeah...seems WAY to typical commercial to me. The second I saw that early-on Leto-Joker stupid picture with the word "damaged" tattooed across his forehead...I knew it was probably going to be limp.

With that said, it would be hard if not impossible to top Heath Ledger's dark, twisted, real-world (and believable) version of the Joker. At this point...you'd basically have to just do a completely different version instead of attempting to top what he did.

I wasn't expecting anything remotely resembling or matching Heath Ledger. While I greatly enjoyed Ledger's portrayal, I'm not tied to it til the end of time. It's unique to the tone of Nolan's Batman movies so trying to ape that would be a fool's errand.

Leto plays him more like a brain damaged Scarface. Emphasizing the gangster aspect of the character isn't in and of itself a bad thing but his tattoos are still stupid and the immaculately tailored suits scream 90s boy band music video. All of that could be forgiven if they gave him any interesting lines or interesting things to do but he mostly just mugs at the camera and issues vague threats. Ledger's Joker had the disappearing pencil trick and Nicholson had a number of memorable scenes. Leto kills Common for complimenting his hot girlfriend. <shrug>

I'm not willing to completely write him off in the role as he was only given like 5 minutes of screen time in a poorly written movie but it didn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Suicide squad was average at best, i was very disappointed.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Midnight Special

First off...I have an actor crush on Michael Shannon. There's just something about his acting that gets to me...it seems so legit, so real. He blew me away in Take Shelter and it was in such a simplistic manner. Now I think I'll have to rent Mud when I get the chance.

Either way...Midnight Special. This film was flawed...and could have easily been WAY longer than it was with all of the back story elements but even with that said, it was highly enjoyable. Like I said, there were a few "fill in your own blanks" moments in the film but they weren't awful plot gaps or anything. In the end, I really enjoyed it.

Batman v Superman (R-rated rental)

I have a triathlon coming up and when I do, I go to bed early. Figuring that my 7 year old doesn't hit the hay until 8...that leaves me with 1.5 hrs to watch something once she is down. So...I watched roughly half of the film last night and fuck, am I somewhat confused. This shit bounces around like a ping pong ball. Way too much fill-in-you-own-blank stuff so far and odd, needless plot lines. By what I've read, I doubt it will get any better.

Affleck as Batman is shit, I don't buy the "old Batman" approach...he's just a total dud. Every tie he speaks as Wayne, all I can see is the Fashionable Male...

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nightcrawler - a story about a young man with mental disabilities who goes on to learn the tricks of a trade, eventually starting his own company and hiring employees to expand. He also succeeds in banging a cougar.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Nightcrawler - a story about a young man with mental disabilities who goes on to learn the tricks of a trade, eventually starting his own company and hiring employees to expand. He also succeeds in banging a cougar.

Saw this on a flight last year. Jake got into character really easy for that one. Then did southpaw next. Gifted actor.
Saw the 2nd Ninja Turtles movie, I hated the 1st one.
Kinda liked it, seeing bebop and rocksteady was easily the highlight of the movie.

Heard people are loving sausage fest. May see it when I have time this week.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Saw this on a flight last year. Jake got into character really easy for that one. Then did southpaw next. Gifted actor.
Saw the 2nd Ninja Turtles movie, I hated the 1st one.
Kinda liked it, seeing bebop and rocksteady was easily the highlight of the movie.

Heard people are loving sausage fest. May see it when I have time this week.

I refuse to watch any of the TMNT films...Bay can eat a dick.

Sausage Party shocked me...it's getting a great score on RT and people really seem to like it. I won't see it in the theaters...but I'll definitely rent it this winter.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Either way...Midnight Special. This film was flawed...and could have easily been WAY longer than it was with all of the back story elements but even with that said, it was highly enjoyable. Like I said, there were a few "fill in your own blanks" moments in the film but they weren't awful plot gaps or anything. In the end, I really enjoyed it.

I liked Joel Edgerton in it. He's a pretty darn versatile actor, and he's also a capable writer and director (I didn't love The Gift but it was interesting overall with a great lurking dark vibe).

Such a great movie. Gyllenhaal is so good. Louis Bloom is up there with Furiosa as my favorite movie characters of the past 5 years or so.

Also... I rewatched both Lucy and Oblivion on UHD BD.

I liked Lucy more than I remembered liking it the first time I saw it. It's pretty easy to rewatch, simple plot, super fast pacing, likeable characters (Morgan Freeman really ought to just play "Mr. Exposition" in every damn movie he's in though, especially here). Choi Min Sik makes a pretty good bad guy. Remarkably competent work for latter-day Luc Besson. And the UHD blu-ray was pretty good quality, for an up-rez.

Oblivion, though, ugh. I remember liking it the first time I saw it, but now I have no idea how that was possible. It's terrible. Nothing happens in the first hour, then all of the twists actually just paper over an ultra-thin plot that could have been over and done in 30 minutes, total. Totally boring, and then just dumb. And the UHD BD was one of the worst "upgrades" I've seen.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
With as much attention as autism has been getting for, I dunno, the past 10 years or so, yeah, it's about fuckin time a Louis Bloom character was thust into a movie like Nightcrawler.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Lucy was complete garbage. Jro you keep saying shit like that and you're going to attract more women like your butt funnin' dirty footed ex.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finished Batman v Superman…

It's got more missing pieces than swiss cheese but to be flat out honest, I've seen much worse. It was well worth the $4 I paid to rent it.

I still have it until Thurs night if anyone wants to borrow it...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm not digging up the TV thread.

The Get Down. Shaolin Fantastic is one of the best characters ever created, everything else is beyond horrible. Gayer than gay West Side story set in the Boogie Down Bronx. Even Jimmy Smitts is a joke. Thanks Baz.

100proof

10 Year Member
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I found Suicide Squad more entertaining than Batman v Superman.

Not sure why you would get flamed. SS may be a clusterfuck but it at least tries to mimic the Marvel movies by being light-hearted and entertaining. BvS is long and boring and dour.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I found Suicide Squad more entertaining than Batman v Superman.

Batman v Superman was exhausting...I'm glad I split it up into two chunks...3 hrs straight of giant fight scenes and endless plot lines would have been horrible.

SS strikes me as a two-cheesburger McValue meal. Cheap, mediocre, mildly satisfying, lacking of any real substance.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Just saw Sleepaway Camp .....that ending......nightmare fuel. Should of watched it halloween night. Cheesy ass movie, but watching the whole thing and seeing the ending was worth it. Glad I didn't just jump straight to the end or read a wiki.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Saw Sausage Party.

If you like almost too Raunchy for rated R, Rogen comedy writing (I mostly do) then you'll cry from laughter at some parts in this. Surprised how political it was and routine with stereotypes but ashamedly killed me in the theater. The animation is top notch for the most part (and cheap if youve read the controversy lol) but its the premise and how well utilized it is that impressed me. There's some legitimate life parallels (albeit shallow) that can be lifted from the film. I'm also sort of amazed how this got past some censors at the end. 3 MINUTES of something I really want to spoil but wont for yalls sake.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Watched The Jungle Book with my 8 year old. She enjoyed it and I thought the kid was decent. The animals were well CGI'ed, the tiger looks really good. Christopher Walken though, stole the show.