Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I used to make my dad rent Spaceballs every week from Blockbuster when I was a kid until he finally bought me my own VHS tape. Then I got it on DVD, then I got it on Laserdisc because ridiculous movies deserve a ridiculous movie format. Then I bought it on Blu Ray, and just today I read that it got released on 4K Blu Ray last month. Straight to Amazon, ordered that shit.
"Even in the future, nothing works!"

Best one-liner of all time.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I’ve never seen Citizen Kane, is it still worth watching an 80 year old movie?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 last night... fuck that was a waste of time.
You're insane. TCM2 is fucking amazing.

The Master- Eh, this is maybe the 3rd time I've seen it and I still don't know if it's actually good. It has all the elements to be good it's just not pleasant in any way which I'm pretty sure is part of the point. You just don't care about anyone or anything in it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That honey bear bong was the greatest prop of the ‘90s.

Imagine seeing that as a young impressionable teen and realizing that anything is possible, and that you can be anything.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
favorite scene in the movie. Outshined gets me pumped, so when this scene popped on the first time I saw the film, I was pUMPED

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Godzilla vs Kong up to 93 million domestic, 423 million worldwide.

Franchise totals
Gozilla 2014: 529 million
Kong: Skull Island: 567 million
Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 387 million

The director of GvK is in discussions to make another movie. Speculation is that it will be a Kong film set in the hollow earth.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ugh.

Wiengard and his buddy need to go back to doing stuff like The Guest.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I’ve never seen Citizen Kane, is it still worth watching an 80 year old movie?
Depends what you want to watch it for. Visually, it's great. Shot composition, lighting, shit like that. But for story or character, hell to the fuck no.

Mank was a good movie, though.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Depends what you want to watch it for. Visually, it's great. Shot composition, lighting, shit like that. But for story or character, hell to the fuck no.

Mank was a good movie, though.

Yup. Citizen Kane is much more interesting as a lesson on the history and evolution of film as an art form than it is a movie. It was a stunning accomplishment in 1941 and will be taught in every film school until the death of cinema but, for a modern audience, it's an overlong snorefest.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Depends on the viewer... I've never seen Citizen Kane but I still very much enjoy watching La Dolce Vita. I consider it to be one of my favorite films.

8 1/2 though? I don't like it. I think it's the surrealism. I should give it one more watch but I think La Dolce Vita is much better of a film!

100proof

10 Year Member
I think it's a great commentary on the often disturbingly homo-aggressive cringe factor of the modern male who so desperately wishes he was cool and tough.

Sadly, as others have said, the movie was interpreted as SOUL POETRY by the exact people it was mocking, and the directive and cinematic decisions were very dumb at times, not exactly the most solid thing, but something I consider a good quality bedtime 90s pop movie, along with Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers, and Gregg Araki's Teen Apocolypse trilogy.

I'll drag this out a little further because that top line was akin to something I intended to write but thought better of it because it seemed like the conversation was winding down.

It's an interesting dichotomy because I do think the movie's underlying conversation about men being unsure of who they are and what they're supposed to do in a post-modern world where women are empowered, gender roles have shifted and gender itself isn't cut and dry anymore is one that doesn't get enough airtime but Tyler's answer is male bonding, fist fighting and nihilism. Obviously, that's Chuck P taking the piss out of self-help horseshit and a certain type of "dude" but apparently it was too subtle for the movie-going public. Like Paul Ryan jamming out to Rage Against the Machine while doing his bicep curls not realizing (or not caring) that he specifically was the machine they were raging against.

I do think Fight Club is a good movie when viewed as a film and not a fucking life philosophy. Great music, cinematography and sets/wardrobe/etc. (Brad Pitt's clothes in that movie were *chef's kiss* and evolve as the "identity" evolves...). Pretty good performances for the most part too. You just have to be willing to overlook some of the late-90s trappings (which I guess the Dust Brothers does kinda fall under) and the wave of dipshit mini-Tylers left in its wake. Oh and that Edward Norton is kind of a douche.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Citizen Kane is definitely not a snoozefest – the story is just as relevant today. It should be watched for its direction and cinematography as well as for its depiction of capitalism hijacking a life that could've been pure. And it's still very watchable. I watched it just a few months ago.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fight Club is kind of like Donnie Darko in that they were both perfectly fine movies for what they were; the problem is what goofball fans turned the movies into afterwards.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fight Club is kind of like Donnie Darko in that they were both perfectly fine movies for what they were; the problem is what goofball fans turned the movies into afterwards.
I legitimately HATED Donnie Darko before I even watched it due to the fanbase. Considering watching it again now that my ego is smoothed out.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is something Im fairly embarassed to admit that I love, thanks to the fanbase. I love rock n roll, and glam, and that musical is just tons of fun, but it seems like it got caught eternally on the Giant Ugly Faggot Hook

100proof

10 Year Member
I legitimately HATED Donnie Darko before I even watched it due to the fanbase. Considering watching it again now that my ego is smoothed out.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is something Im fairly embarassed to admit that I love, thanks to the fanbase. I love rock n roll, and glam, and that musical is just tons of fun, but it seems like it got caught eternally on the Giant Ugly Faggot Hook

Rocky is a garbage movie but it's a Theater Kid/LGBT institution. Saved a lot of outcasts' lives over the years. One of my buddies was the Dr. Frankenfurter at Home of Happiness (one of the more famous Rocky troupes in NJ) for years. I don't fucking get it. Like at all... but I hate musicals in general and it brings a lot of people joy so vaya con dios, I guess.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I don't know why I get it, tbh. I think it's literally because of the rock n roll. I actually like many of the songs. Reminds me of Iggy Pop's Raw Power years in a weird way, I think.

It's not the Frank N Furter transvestite shit or anything. I actually hate that song. Rocky is my fav!

100proof

10 Year Member
I dunno... I think that movie just speaks to a certain type of person. It's not even the LGBT thing necessarily... It's people who can appreciate camp, like a good communal sing-along and enjoy all things tacky and overdone. Teh gays definitely fall in that group but it's always been explained to me as an "outsiders" thing. Like glam, punk and goth all rolled in one.

My wife could explain it better.