Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2- Eh, not as good as the first, merchandising in full swing on this one. It's got Disney suits stinky finger prints all over it, that baby Groot is irritating as fuck. Still mildly entertaining but it's pretty obvious that James Gunn is the kinda guy that needs let off the leash to do his own thing as is proof with Suicide Squad.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
No for real tho smokes sent me a PM a few weeks ago, something like how I was a cool dude but he can't handle the negativity here and it makes him question why he even bothers coming so he wanted to say goodbye to me or something.

If you think about it, it's really, really fucking weird how long we've all 'known' each other here and how often we talk to each other. Then one day some of us stop posting and that's that
Smokehouse had some opinions that were outside of approved parameters. The attrition of heterodox members continues.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
A Classic Horror Story - close, on several occasions, to being pretty good. Maybe really good almost. Then it just takes some severely strange, unearned turns that don't work like they could. Not recommended, even if the (fake) ending has a solid 30 seconds of catharsis that almost makes up for the wasted 90 minutes before it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
No for real tho smokes sent me a PM a few weeks ago, something like how I was a cool dude but he can't handle the negativity here and it makes him question why he even bothers coming so he wanted to say goodbye to me or something.

If you think about it, it's really, really fucking weird how long we've all 'known' each other here and how often we talk to each other. Then one day some of us stop posting and that's that

I got one of those PMs the last time he disappeared for a while. Hopefully he unbunches his panties and returns at some point. He was starting to go down the misinformation rabbit hole but that doesn't necessarily make him a terrible person. Just because mommy and daddy have to yell every now and then doesn't mean we don't love each other.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh now come on, this jab really isn't fair to STK. To the best of my forum knowledge, Sylvie doesn't have multiple pages' worth of PM blackmail of Wes vividly role-playing as his femdom translesbian geisha alter ego, Racheko Gifu-Abbott.
I didn't realize he was accepting submissions.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Smokehouse had some opinions that were outside of approved parameters. The attrition of heterodox members continues.
No one made him though. It's odd for someone who's spent years voicing his support for 'stand your ground' to run away because someone disagrees with him.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No one made him though. It's odd for someone who's spent years voicing his support for 'stand your ground' to run away because someone disagrees with him.
This is a videogame forum. You can't shoot someone and then get high fived by the NRA here.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
P.S. I was mistaken about Thief being on Prime, pretty sure I watched it on Criterion. Manhunter tonight, I'll be posting another short review

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Jolt

Kate Beckinsale is hot, bangs some guy and he's found dead, two shots to the head, in a dumpster. She goes on a revenge spree.

It's okay I guess but I'm not sure I would have watched all of it if Kate Beckinsale wasn't in it looking hot.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kate Beckinsale is hot,
On screen. She's got an enormous head in real life. I've seen her at the market a couple times down in Venice (CA, not the real one) and her head is like a weather balloon tethered to some kind of pygmie skeleton. Somehow the camera not only adds a bit of weight in the right places, but also magically adjusts her proportions to make her appear human. But in person, she is startling. Like did I pay two bits to see an 1800s circus freak show and somehow forget about it? That said, she is legitimately difficult to take your eyes off of, so there's that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ready or Not- Unsuspecting woman marries into an obscenely wealthy family and on the wedding night has to play a game of hide and seek in their creepy old giant mansion/estate. Satan may be involved. Solid horror/thriller in the vein of You're Next. Nice sets and a great cast, overall I really enjoyed it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Our kind of traitor
A chance meeting between an English university teacher and a Russian mobster leads to the former getting ensnared in international espionage, based on a book by John le Carré. A slow-paced thriller which builds suspense well, the palpable feeling of danger is well conveyed. Also a bonus for minimal action.

3 ½/5

Reactions: jro

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Samara Weaving has had an incredible career over the past few years. Low key under the radar fun movies and shows are her jam.

if you haven’t seen Guns Akimbo yet, give it a look.
Yes Guns Akimbo is awesome.

Adam Brody has been in some really great under the radar stuff as well. The Kid Detective is criminally overlooked.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
One Cut of the Dead- I had high hopes for this and it didn't quite meet them but it was a clever, fun little movie.

Indie filmmakers are shooting a zombie movie then actually get attacked by real zombies. Had this been an american movie that would have been the entire movie and it would have been PG-13, full of jump scares and billed as a revolution in the horror genre brought to you by the producers of Annabelle 4 and Paranormal Activity 7 but this is more than that and done very well. Not gonna spoil anything but watch it past the halfway point, the first half is a bit of a slog and you would rightfully think it's super predictable but it's worth it. Recommended.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Blood Red Sky - seems like you really shouldn't be able to make "mama vampire vs. hijackers" a completely boring slog, but here it is. Great premise, horrid execution. Just slow beyond belief and completely dull. Watch if you hate yourself or need to fall asleep.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Shang-Chi
Other than Age of Ultron and Iron-Man 2, this was probably the worst Marvel movie I've seen in theaters. It really felt like a kids movie, and didn't feel anything like a martial arts movie. Nothing unexpected happened, the action was vanilla, they never even explained what the 10 rings are, etc. The shallow level of including Asian culture and heritage was borderline offensive, IMO. "Oh, Asian people. They've got dragons and bamboo and everyone knows kung fu." A lot of Marvel movies fall back on humor. This one made me laugh once or twice tops.

Awkwafina was pretty funny, though, and I liked the chicken pig.

2/10 🐼s

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Not going to lie, I really liked that dragon a lot. But I also really liked the 2nd to last battle in Aquaman with the Kraken and the underwater techno-high fantasy medieval battle. So maybe i just like monster fights?

But yeah…what were the 10 rings? I think possibly a plot point for whatever new big bad they’re working up to? I assume we’ll know after Eternals?