Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune has surpassed expectations, harvesting $36.8M at the international box office from just 24 markets in early release. The Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi epic was the top movie overseas this weekend, coming in with No. 1s in virtually all openings. In like–for-likes and at today’s rates, Dune is tracking 4% ahead of Tenet, 33% ahead of Black Widow, 52% ahead of Blade Runner 2049, 58% above Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings and 80% ahead of Godzilla Vs Kong.

IMAX delivered a fantastic $3.6M from 142 screens representing roughly 10% of the total weekend and a $25K per-screen average. Dune demolished pandemic-era box office records for the network in 10 markets including Russia, France, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Ukraine, as well as Hong Kong and Singapore.

Dune also received a release date in China: October 22, day and date with the US. Dune will be the first Hollywood movie to be allowed to release after the mandatory blackout period for Chinese propaganda films to run unopposed for a few weeks. The new Bond will open the following week but none of this year's Marvel films will be allowed a release in China, except possibly the Sony-backed ones (Venom 2 and Spidey 3).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Weird af Shang Chi isn't coming out here.
They're mad at Marvel because:
-The Shang-Chi actor talked about his parents "escaping" China and then praised an energy drink from Hong Kong
-Marvel hired Chloe Zhao to direct Eternals; Zhao is already blacklisted in China
plus:

And they're still pissed at Disney in general over the backlash to Mulan.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Weird af Shang Chi isn't coming out here.
China doesn't want Awkwafina influencing young people and letting them know if you're a talentless slug that they too can be famous. They don't want their men turning into Kpop bitch boys and they don't want their women being loud mouthed, sarcastic, unfunny bitches.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Haha that’s a savage take.

@fami - what was the Mulan backlash?
It's true though, they're not just cracking down on Kpop and video games. They don't want any outside influences that could in anyway go against the party. The next 20 years there are going to be insane.

Also Awkwafina is a talentless, unfunny slob, I mean that's just a fact.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also Awkwafina is a talentless, unfunny slob, I mean that's just a fact.

Yeah that’s what I was referring to.

I’m not familiar with her other than I know she was in crazy rich Asians because I thought her stage name was really dumb.

I looked her up after I saw Shang Chi and yeah. YouTube “rapper” to movie star? I dunno. Younger people must like her?

She was tolerable in Shang Chi but certainly not as fun or charming as Spider-Man’s sidekick in the last films or even Ant Mans (to be fair, the side kicks in ant man are next level.)

famicommander

15 Year Member
Disney is dumb.

Some of the “controversies” are also dumb.
Some of them, yes.

The whole thing about Disney maybe not filming their movies right next to concentration camps and then thanking the people who run said concentration camps in the credits, though? Of course that's China's own fault, but they're mad at Disney for bringing attention to it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That part was highly amusing.

Disney is literal garbage for filming in Xinjiang and then thanking the CCP officials for helping them film there.

The fact that the CCP is upset about the film because it brought attention to the Xinjiang, even though Disney was cool with filming there and thanked the fucking party, is hilarious.

Disney and the CCP are morons. Disney is a truly evil corporation up there with the worst of the worst financial corps and tech companies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t know who Akwafina is. I know she was in crazy rich azns but I don’t remember her character at all. I know it had Kim jeong. Ok I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t remember much about it at all. It was like Vacation Friends, but less funny to me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don’t know who Akwafina is.
She's the new Margaret Cho except she also raps and didn't put in any of the work that Cho did to get a career.

White Boy- Doc about "White Boy Rick" the supposed drug kingpin from Detroit who got a life sentence (as a minor) for a coke bust back in the 80s and served 29 years. Dude got fucked by the FBI, the mayor of Detroit and DPD. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but at least now I know where the term "White Boy Rick" comes from.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
She's the new Margaret Cho except she also raps and didn't put in any of the work that Cho did to get a career.

White Boy- Doc about "White Boy Eric" the supposed drug kingpin from Detroit who got a life sentence (as a minor) for a coke bust back in the 80s and served 29 years. Dude got fucked by the FBI, the mayor of Detroit and DPD. I don't wouldn't necessarily recommend it but at least now I know where the term "White Boy Eric" comes from.
What work?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cho did standup for quite awhile before breaking into TV and stuff.

Akwafina just rapped about her pussy on Youtube.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Listen, Margaret Cho had to do Face/off with John Travolta and Nic Cage

think about that for a moment.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don’t know who Akwafina is. I know she was in crazy rich azns but I don’t remember her character at all. I know it had Kim jeong. Ok I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t remember much about it at all. It was like Vacation Friends, but less funny to me.
She was Jeong's characters daughter.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Friend of mine saw Dune yesterday, he said it was good but also kind of generic.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers and Freddy Kreuger have nothing on the mass murderer I watched last night, 1933s The Invisible Man. I think it was 130 or so victims. Still a very good film much better than the recent movie.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Friend of mine saw Dune yesterday, he said it was good but also kind of generic.
I can see how it could seem a little generic when lesser talents have been ripping it off like crazy for the past half century. Something similar happened with John Carter. It's like, yeah, of course it feels familiar. Because Hollywood and the literary world are filled with hacks and thieves, and they've been at this carcass for longer than we've been alive.