Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The second half of the story is also a lot weirder and more dense than the first half. We don't even meet Feyd or Alia in this one.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Crocodile Dundee 2 is a lot weirder and denser than Crocodile Dundee, they should have never made that, I was very confused and I fell asleep

famicommander

15 Year Member
Crocodile Dundee 2 is a lot weirder and denser than Crocodile Dundee, they should have never made that, I was very confused and I fell asleep
I think they made a third one where he has a kid or something

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I've never seen these movies. Is Crocodile the main character's given name?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No his name is Mick Dundee.

Surprised you haven’t seen the first one. It’s basically an action comedy featuring a crocodile wrasslin backwoods Aussie coming to the big American City and the ensuing hilarity from the clash of cultures.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers and Freddy Kreuger have nothing on the mass murderer I watched last night, 1933s The Invisible Man. I think it was 130 or so victims. Still a very good film much better than the recent movie.
The newer one is a piece of shit, worse than Hollow Man.

It is shocking just how crazy he goes in the original and how much pleasure he takes from it. Those old Universal movies had to be something else back in the 30s and 40s.

Reactions: Syn

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The second half of the story is also a lot weirder and more dense than the first half. We don't even meet Feyd or Alia in this one.
You really have to be hoping enough people are going to jump on the bandwagon and pretend they like this movie just to be one of the cool kids even if they don't. And hey, maybe that will happen.

If Villeneuve's Dune was a tv series, that would be cool. But it's a pretty fucking stupid idea to make a movie that is 90% act 1 with a little bit of act 2, and zero third act. That is an inherently unsatisfying way of presenting a story. It would be one thing if they filmed both back-to-back and were releasing them 6 months apart. But people are going to have to wait years to watch the rest of act 2 and any of act 3. If the rest even gets made at all. If it doesn't, what a hilarious boondoggle this will have all been. Lynch's movie has flaws, but at least he finished it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I wouldn't go that far.
Maybe not but the new Invisible Man is just awful. First of all no-one would be that obsessed with that woman, second that suit is dumb as fuck looking and it's almost all telegraphed jump scares.

Hollow Man is bad but at least it's entertaining and the basic idea is closer to the original. It was also a victim of that super awkward period in CG where they thought things were a lot better looking than they actually were.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You really have to be hoping enough people are going to jump on the bandwagon and pretend they like this movie just to be one of the cool kids even if they don't. And hey, maybe that will happen.

If Villeneuve's Dune was a tv series, that would be cool. But it's a pretty fucking stupid idea to make a movie that is 90% act 1 with a little bit of act 2, and zero third act. That is an inherently unsatisfying way of presenting a story. It would be one thing if they filmed both back-to-back and were releasing them 6 months apart. But people are going to have to wait years to watch the rest of act 2 and any of act 3. If the rest even gets made at all. If it doesn't, what a hilarious boondoggle this will have all been. Lynch's movie has flaws, but at least he finished it.
The only way the studio would agree to let him make the movie was to release the first and see how it did. He requested to film both parts back to back and WB/Legacy wouldn't put up the money, so he bet on the first movie making enough to let him make the second.

But it made 39 million its first international weekend. They reported 36.8 at first but they actually under-tracked it in Russia and France. This is after Deadline projected a mid-20 million dollar opening and suggested even that number would be good. This movie significantly out-performed Shang-Chi, Black Widow, Suicide Squad, and Godzilla vs Kong in pretty much every market it has seen release.

The movie has already succeeded. Even if the movie tanks in the US and China, and I don't think it will (China was the strongest overseas market for Blade Runner 2049 and Dune did better numbers than it in Hong Kong and Taiwan), the international numbers are already putting the movie on the path to 300 million at the box office without factoring in the HBO Max streaming.

The only real question now is whether WB/Legacy will greenlight just the one sequel or if they greenlight two and let him finish his trilogy with Messiah filming back-to-back.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The question is since the first one is part of a possible trilogy and an incomplete story by itself in 2 or 3 years will people who aren't aren't fans of the books care enough to go see the second. Or will it be a situation where the first wasn't a complete satisfying story so people just kind of forget about it. It's not an established franchise like SW or MCU etc. where people just automatically go see whatever comes out in those franchises because they're familiar.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The question is since the first one is part of a possible trilogy and an incomplete story by itself in 2 or 3 years will people who aren't aren't fans of the books care enough to go see the second. Or will it be a situation where the first wasn't a complete satisfying story so people just kind of forget about it. It's not an established franchise like SW or MCU etc. where people just automatically go see whatever comes out in those franchises because they're familiar.
Well if they only make the second movie, that covers the first novel and is a pretty complete story. So if we get Messiah, great. If we don't, that sucks, but it's not a disaster like not getting Part II would be.

There is also the HBO Max prequel series. We'll have that in between the two films. 10 episode series with Villeneuve directing the pliot.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sometimes, when I'm a few liters in, I'll put in my headphones and replay the scene where Paul rides the sandworm like ten times. David Lynch version of course.

Can it be said that Lynch's Dune is great? I don't think great is the right word to describe it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sometimes, when I'm a few liters in, I'll put in my headphones and replay the scene where Paul rides the sandworm like ten times. David Lynch version of course.

Can it be said that Lynch's Dune is great? I don't think great is the right word to describe it.
Lynch's Dune is so bad not even he liked it, but Toto definitely nailed the soundtrack.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Night of the Demons- I think the memories I had of this were actually of the sequel either way I distinctly remember the cover from the VHS rental days and know I have at least the edited version at some point. Anyways it's awesome, pretty much Evil Dead meets Return of the living Dead. Some pretty good effects, lots of TNA and some surprisingly good set lighting.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Another one that was remade with Shannon Elizabeth iirc.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Lynch's Dune is so bad not even he liked it, but Toto definitely nailed the soundtrack.
I hadn't seen LunchDune in about 15 years and we watched most of it tonite.

Fuck I had forgotten how much it sucked. The first time I saw it I was maybe 12, and I hadn't read any of the Dune books, so I thought it was entertaining.

After reading the book it's absolutely laughable. I wouldn't say it is "flawed" so much as it seems Lynch heard a couple of people in a library talking about Dune in 1981, asked them what they were talking about in general broad strokes, and then decided fuck, it - "Big worms? Benny Jesuits? I just got done talking to Sting so I gotta put him in plastic panties in there somewhere..."

And then he made LynchDune. Incidentally I honestly never even realized he put himself in the movie until tonite, lol.

Seriously the only real things that are any good in LynchDune are PatStew as Gurney, Dean Stockwell as Yueh, and the main worm prop they used.

Shit man, I remember reading the book for the first time and thinking "Wait, when are they gonna get to the weirding devices where they say mmmmuad'dib and blow up the rock?"

I know I might get shit for this, but I don't care. I don't think I liked any of his movies except for the Elephant man. And I havent seen THAT in about 20 years or so, so it could be the same thing. And say what you will Twin Peaks was meh. I didn't watch it as a kid because I had no interest, but then the wife and I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and while I will say I was interested in what Cooper was finding out, Bob, the Black Lodge, etc, after they revealed who Bob was and that he was the one that possessed Lauras dad, the show and it's characters had NOwhere to go. I seriously found myself fastforwarding any scenes that didn't have Cooper in it.

Don't even get me started on the continuation series from a couple years ago. I couldn't even finish it.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
On the topic of Crocodile Dundee, Kangaroo Jack might be my favorite guilty pleasure film. It's silly and irreverent and everyone looks like they all had a blast taking part in it. It even had a direct to DVD animated sequel of all things, and the same stuff applies. Goofy fun that never tries too hard.

Honestly, I'll happily take that stuff 10 times out of 10 over the newest Hollywood try hard gargantuan IP tentpole Avengers-wannabe schlock. Just let me drift into a realm of pure escapism for 2 hours without being teased with potential tie-ins and wink-winks, every 15 minutes.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Fuck I had forgotten how much it sucked. The first time I saw it I was maybe 12, and I hadn't read any of the Dune books, so I thought it was entertaining.

After reading the book it's absolutely laughable. I wouldn't say it is "flawed" so much as it seems Lynch heard a couple of people in a library talking about Dune in 1981, asked them what they were talking about in general broad strokes, and then decided fuck, it - "Big worms? Benny Jesuits? I just got done talking to Sting so I gotta put him in plastic panties in there somewhere..."

And then he made LynchDune. Incidentally I honestly never even realized he put himself in the movie until tonite, lol.

Seriously the only real things that are any good in LynchDune are PatStew as Gurney, Dean Stockwell as Yueh, and the main worm prop they used.

Shit man, I remember reading the book for the first time and thinking "Wait, when are they gonna get to the weirding devices where they say mmmmuad'dib and blow up the rock?"
There are several extended cuts out there with some scenes that make it closer to the book, but there's no salvaging the overall trainwreck.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I can see how it could seem a little generic when lesser talents have been ripping it off like crazy for the past half century. Something similar happened with John Carter. It's like, yeah, of course it feels familiar. Because Hollywood and the literary world are filled with hacks and thieves, and they've been at this carcass for longer than we've been alive.
By generic he meant sterile, lacking personality, product of of an average imagination (which the book definitely isn't) On the topic of the Lynch one; while it may be a trainwreck, it's also the most Warhammer 40,000 thing on film:
ns5ohdiksfna2dyb8r6e.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Voices- A surreal, dark comedy starring Ryan Reynolds as a mentally unstable employee of a toilet company who talks to his pet dog and cat. It's got it all: romance, violence, talking animals and a musical number. Recommended.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So

I know I might get shit for this, but I don't care. I don't think I liked any of his movies except for the Elephant man. And I havent seen THAT in about 20 years or so, so it could be the same thing. And say what you will Twin Peaks was meh. I didn't watch it as a kid because I had no interest, but then the wife and I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and while I will say I was interested in what Cooper was finding out, Bob, the Black Lodge, etc, after they revealed who Bob was and that he was the one that possessed Lauras dad, the show and it's characters had NOwhere to go. I seriously found myself fastforwarding any scenes that didn't have Cooper in it.

Don't even get me started on the continuation series from a couple years ago. I couldn't even finish it.
this thread is delivering.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Body Parts- Jeff Fahey (The Lawnmower Man himself) stars as a criminal psychologist who works with guys on death row, he ends up in a car accident and has his right arm replaced with a donor arm in a new experimental surgery. Turns out the arm is from a mass murderer who slowly starts controlling him and ruining his life. Then he seeks out the 2 other guys that received the legs and left arm from the same donor and things get a bit complicated. Completely absurd and done totally straight, just glorious shlock. Practical effects range from impressive to laughably bad, the whole thing has a very Frankenstein meets Re-animator vibe.