Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Everything Lynch does is great. Even his most low key movie, the straight story, is dark AF.

you need a snakeskin jacket, Sage.
Wild At Heart is one of the best Lynch movies I've ever seen. Still need to see Lost Highway, started it about 8 years ago and never finished but I was drawn in by The Grinning Man

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
There was a show Fahey was in back in the early 90s, after The Lawnmower Man, called The Marshall. I remember liking it quite a bit, and of course it got canceled.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
There was a show Fahey was in back in the early 90s, after The Lawnmower Man, called The Marshall. I remember liking it quite a bit, and of course it got canceled.
Yeah, I vaguely remember that. He's had some roles in non B movies here and there but has mostly been relegated to VHS rental shelf fodder for most of his career. Probably the best actor in Body Part was Brad Dourif, that guy is a hell of an actor who again has mostly been stuck in character roles.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Mayhem- An office building full of super aggressive lawyers is quarantined due to a virus that makes people loose all impulse control (except when it moves the plot forward) and go apeshit. Glen from TWD and Samara Weaving fight their way to the top floor to get justice for reasons that don't really matter. While not as clever as it thinks it is and chock full of seriously baffling character decisions it's still well paced and enjoyable. Although I feel Samara Weaving was a bit underused after seeing her in Ready or not and Guns Akimbo recently.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Wild At Heart is one of the best Lynch movies I've ever seen. Still need to see Lost Highway, started it about 8 years ago and never finished but I was drawn in by The Grinning Man
Lost Highway was co-written by the guy who wrote the novel Wild At Heart is adapted from. It's unbelievably good.

And yeah, like ew says, Straight Story is super-subversive. It's the darkest movie Disney has ever released, and the beautiful thing is that they had no idea. It completely went over their heads, and the heads of most of the watching public, who mistakenly saw it as heart-warming.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Saw a trailer for Finch, a Tom Hanks thing that has a weirdly cool looking post apocalyptic visuals, but the main plot seems to revolve around Hanks, a dog, and a robot on a road trip facing some PG danger along the way?

I'm sure Hanks will make it likeable, but from what I saw I can't imagine the tone being right between setting and story.

Who am I kidding, it's on Apple TV. I won't be seeing it anyway.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Lost Highway was co-written by the guy who wrote the novel Wild At Heart is adapted from. It's unbelievably good.
It's godly, a Lynchian take on noir with jazz music, a 'come to daddy' scene in the bed and even that one secluded cabin at the end; instead being near a sandy beach it's in middle of a desert. Did I mention a stylish mansion with an abundance of red curtains owned by Lynch himself? Yeah that, too. And the young Natasha Gregson Wagner is such a good Lynch heroine, especially because she can't act. Too bad she wasn't hired in more of his movies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I had to close my laptop and pace around the room a bit after reading this to calm down. That is why he should have never lowercased his name. Complete subversion of his authority.
I didn’t change my casing

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If it's on Apple TV it'll be bland and up it's own ass.
I kinda wanna see that Finch movie. But I also want to watch Foundation.

Mainly for Jared Harris lol. Im one of like TWO people on the planet that didn't really like the Foundation Trilogy. Though I appreciate what Asimov was trying to build. It was just a slog for me.

But Jared Harris will make it better.

Also, I'll be downloading it, obvs.

On another note - I watched the first episode of Y The Last Man and it was.... ok. I couldn't get behind the actor that played Yorick.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was excited for Foundation but then I heard David Goyer was writing and producing it and now I'm a bit worried. The man is responsible for such gems as Jumpers, Ghost Rider 1 and 2, Kickboxer 2, The Crow: City of Angels, Blade: Trinity, Mission To Mars, The Unborn, The Forest, Terminator Dark Fate, and most of the Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder DC movies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh yay, it's popular to hate the Nolan Batman movies now! I guess that's what the cool kids are doing.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I liked the two Nolan Batman movies they made...........

The two of them.
The entire plot of Batman Begins hinges on the idea that zero of the 8 million or more residents of Gotham heat any water to the point of evaporation for several weeks while Scarecrow has been dumping his toxin into the water supply (the plan is to later use micro waves to heat the water and release the toxin). Not one of the residents of Gotham evaporates any water while cooking, bathing, doing laundry, cleaning dishes, etc for several weeks.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Bruh, its Gotham.

Basically Chicago. Its a shit city, people dont bathe there.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I want Foundation to be good and I think the trailers look good, but it's suspicious that the review embargo doesn't end until the show actually premieres tonight.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I want Foundation to be good and I think the trailers look good, but it's suspicious that the review embargo doesn't end until the show actually premieres tonight.
It’s an Apple show, which isn’t a great pedigree. I like Ted Lasso, but For All Mankind was a massive bait and switch disappointment. Advertised as an astronaut in the high castle, but it’s just a boring soap drama.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It’s an Apple show, which isn’t a great pedigree. I like Ted Lasso, but For All Mankind was a massive bait and switch disappointment. Advertised as an astronaut in the high castle, but it’s just a boring soap drama.
Aw lame. I downloaded it and meant to get to it but nevermind

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SAW III (2006) : Terrible, I heard it was the most horrific of the series? What a let down. I enjoyed Salo more.

I really didn't expect much from the SAW movies and I am very late to them and no better for it. The people saying these films are grotesque really need to watch the Japanese film Grotesque.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
shang-chi and the 10 rings , hope its a preview of they are working on another Dr strange

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
we had a friend recommend Malignant.
They got us good. This is a shit horror movie, with college project cinematography and rigid acting. Watch the first 15 minutes, then watch the last 15 minutes. The rest is nonsense.... I never really liked this friend in the first place, and now i have a reason to give her grief.

Then I watched Kate on Netflix.
This was better. Not sure if I like it yet, but it felt like John Wick at times... in a good way.
There's a lot of gaijin talk, but whatever,... it's a yakuza revenge movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
we had a friend recommend Malignant.
They got us good. This is a shit horror movie, with college project cinematography and rigid acting. Watch the first 15 minutes, then watch the last 15 minutes. The rest is nonsense.... I never really liked this friend in the first place, and now i have a reason to give her grief.
Hahaha... I think James Wan fooled the entire studio into letting make Malignant. They even marketed it in the usual Conjuring, Insidious manner. When it's really a straight up 80s schlock fest.