Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh sure it's still terrible and stupid but at least it's crazy. Also you just can't make a schlocky Basket Case type movie with a huge budget and slick production which is basically what James Wan has built his career on. Slick commercial, atmospheric, jump scare laden crap. I just think it's hilarious that all the marketing has been so deceptive.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i'm thinking about watching dune when it comes out on hbo max. i will provide my in-depth review afterwards.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gonzo: The Hunter S. Thompson Story- I've enjoyed and read quite a bit of his work but was never really all that drawn in by the cult of personality around him. I actually always felt kind of sorry for him as he basically invented a persona that he could never live up to and I think he became kind of pathetic when he realized that at a certain point. It's evident in his work and his behavior in public and private.

Anyways, this doc is from 2008 and has some really good interviews but I couldn't get more than a third of the way through it because they had Johnny Depp doing all of the narration and reading excepts from various pieces while holding one of Hunter guns. It was just cringe as fuck and ruined an otherwise interesting piece.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Gonzo: The Hunter S. Thompson Story- I've enjoyed and read quite a bit of his work but was never really all that drawn in by the cult of personality around him. I actually always felt kind of sorry for him as he basically invented a persona that he could never live up to and I think he became kind of pathetic when he realized that at a certain point. It's evident in his work and his behavior in public and private.

Anyways, this doc is from 2008 and has some really good interviews but I couldn't get more than a third of the way through it because they had Johnny Depp doing all of the narration and reading excepts from various pieces while holding one of Hunter guns. It was just cringe as fuck and ruined an otherwise interesting piece.
The only Hunter S Thompson thing I;ve seen that I actually like, is the movie "Where The Buffalos Roam" with Bill Murray and Peter Boyle, it's odd how no one seems to talk about it much.

The Depp "Fear and Loathing" isn't very good. I can see why it would be amusing in 1998, as the "acid trip" visual effects have slivers of accuracy to them, but I'm also not drawn to the cult of personality around him and, like most Depp movies, seems like just a big dick party for Johnny Depp to suck himself off and be a cool sexy guy

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well he's not exactly sexy in Fear and Loathing but I get what you're saying. I really enjoy that movie though, it came out at the perfect time in my life. I had read the book about a year before it came out and was interested to see how it would be handled. Johnny had recently killed it in Ed Wood so he wasn't quite the king douche he would soon become. I am also somewhat of a Terry Gilliam fan going back to Monty Python. Plus Benicio Del Toro is just awesome in it.

I'm okay with just pieces of the drug sequences being somewhat accurate, that fits perfectly with the whole fever dream vibe the movie runs on.

I've seen Where the Buffalo Roam but don't really remember any of it which is probably a sign that it's not very interesting.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The only Hunter S Thompson thing I;ve seen that I actually like, is the movie "Where The Buffalos Roam" with Bill Murray and Peter Boyle, it's odd how no one seems to talk about it much.

The Depp "Fear and Loathing" isn't very good. I can see why it would be amusing in 1998, as the "acid trip" visual effects have slivers of accuracy to them, but I'm also not drawn to the cult of personality around him and, like most Depp movies, seems like just a big dick party for Johnny Depp to suck himself off and be a cool sexy guy
HST was intimately involved with Fear and Loathing, and worked with Depp to get the part right. HST always seemed very happy with the outcome.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
HST was intimately involved with Fear and Loathing, and worked with Depp to get the part right. HST always seemed very happy with the outcome.
Of course, they are both attracted to each others' charisma. Nothing wrong with that. I don't dislike Hunter or his persona, just didn't really enjoy Fear & Loathing

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Promising Young Woman- Talk about right movie at the right time. It was okay but jeez I can't believe all the buzz this was getting when it came out.

Can someone please get Carrie Mulligan some food and maybe some vitamins? She looks terrible, I actually lol'd when they said it was her 30th birthday. She's 36 but looks like he's pushing 50. I know she's supposed to be depressed and unstable but that's not makeup.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
FREE GUY

This was surprisingly good and funny. It's a Ryan Reynolds thing so I figured he'd give me some chuckles, but it was actually pretty funny, though the story was pretty much lifted from the Lego Movie, Ready Player One (blechh), The Matrix, The 13th Floor, Tron, Tron 2, Truman Show, Wreck it Ralph, and Grandma's Boy among others.

Plenty of references to other games (obviously) and one really great super quick cameo.

I wouldn't buy the BluRay but if it comes out streaming somewhere, definitely give it a Saturday night at home with the wife/husby viewing.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The New King of Comedy - Stephen Chow's latest movie as co-writer/co-director. It has a few laughs and a good message, but pretty average otherwise. I like the dad character the best as it is so stereotypical of Asian parents.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Fall on BD was a big deal for me. it wasn’t streaming online here, I wanted it in HD, and BD was an option. So I forked over the cash. It wasn’t as cheap as you would think.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Fall is great. Sometimes I put it on in the background just because it's so awesome looking.

Surprised it expensive but then again you can never tell when shit goes OOP prices can get crazy. It was a $5 disc for years.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
this movie was crazy.

Aside from its very good high art direction and presumably high budget, I couldn't believe I was watching a film that starred Vince Vaughn that wasn't a fucking piece of absolute shit. It was good to see Vince in such a humbled role.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
this movie was crazy.

Aside from its very good high art direction and presumably high budget, I couldn't believe I was watching a film that starred Vince Vaughn that wasn't a fucking piece of absolute shit. It was good to see Vince in such a humbled role.
Don't forget about Jennifer Lopez.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Don't forget about Jennifer Lopez.
Indeed, but I guess technically that didn't surprise me AS MUCH since she seems like a capable actor and is pretty, but yeah she did a surprisingly good job