Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Also I'd like to point out Jonah Hill's character. People say that if you hate someone by their performance then they have done a great job. I've seen him play that exact character in multiple things now and I don't believe he's acting as much as he wants us to believe. I think he's actually just a douche, maybe not quite on the level as his characters but also not far from it. Either way it's certainly not funny, reminds me a lot of Seth McFarlane.

He is, apparently. Ironically, I was at the home of someone here in town who was a producer out in Hollywood until recently & he ran in the same circle as Seth Rogan & his writing partner. With them comes Jonah. None of what he had to day was nice. Replace the word douche with "piece of shit" & there you go.......among other things.

But he seems like such a fucking douche nozzle and "knows" he's funny. Because of that I dislike him. Also he sorta kinda called my friend a cunt, so fuck him.

Are you saying he is a douche BECAUSE he knows he's funny?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Is it as good as GB1 or 2? No.
Is it better than the abortion with the girls? Absolutely.

Plenty of nice callbacks to the originals, and well.... Paul Rudd.

But one thing I dont get is Gozer. Sure, I figure the chick that played her is probably in her 60s+ now, but they could have gotten another girl that looked similar to her but they got... an asian chick.

I mean, it doesn't really matter, sure - but you went outta your way to add in a CGI Egon, but couldn't get a Pat Benatar look-alike for Gozer? Eh. It was decent enough.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Is it as good as GB1 or 2? No.
Is it better than the abortion with the girls? Absolutely.

Plenty of nice callbacks to the originals, and well.... Paul Rudd.

But one thing I dont get is Gozer. Sure, I figure the chick that played her is probably in her 60s+ now, but they could have gotten another girl that looked similar to her but they got... an asian chick.

I mean, it doesn't really matter, sure - but you went outta your way to add in a CGI Egon, but couldn't get a Pat Benatar look-alike for Gozer? Eh. It was decent enough.

Gozer was Olivia Wilde, actually.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I actually checked last night after re-watching the last 20 minutes of the movie (it showed up on my Plex account and I was bored). Sure enough, uncredited cameo and behind-the-scenes photos of her in the makeup room.

Thought I recognized that Manning-level forehead.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Troll
It has nothing to do with Troll 2, but is still worth watching. Julia Luis-Dreyfus is in her prime. Recommended if you like bad '80s movies.

The French Connection
Good stuff. I'm assuming it was a lot more thrilling / envelope-pushing back in its day. The Exorcist is much clearer and polished, IMO, but what a huge back-to-back showing for Friedkin. Too bad his career turned out to be so hit-or-miss. Recommended.

The Piano Teacher
God damn. Don't watch this one with family members. A teenager gets more than he bargained for when he pursues a relationship with a late-30s piano teacher at an Austrian conservatory. Recommended.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Troll
It has nothing to do with Troll 2, but is still worth watching. Julia Luis-Dreyfus is in her prime. Recommended if you like bad '80s movies.

The French Connection
Good stuff. I'm assuming it was a lot more thrilling / envelope-pushing back in its day. The Exorcist is much clearer and polished, IMO, but what a huge back-to-back showing for Friedkin. Too bad his career turned out to be so hit-or-miss. Recommended.
Also- ALSO... main kid's name is Harry Potter lol.

I watched the French Connection a few years ago and - (gears up for harrassment..) I thought it was boring.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I watched Death Wish (1974) last night, I'd always meant to watch them all but never got around to it. Liam Neeson would fit right in to these films and I don't mind that kind of trash so Death Wish sat well with me. I actually found the time period more interesting than anything else, the sideburns baby!
Nice! I just watched this classic again as well. Are you going to watch the sequels?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Death Wish 3 is amazing, it's terrible but Bronson actively setting traps just so he can kill street punks is hilarious and insanely entertaining.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nice! I just watched this classic again as well. Are you going to watch the sequels?
Absolutely, love revenge films even if they're just ridiculous at times. (All the time? lol)

Reactions: wyo

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I haven't watched the movie but I knew exactly what you were referencing.

I still can't believe this is a scene from a movie. So much to make fun of in the last minute of this video.

What the heck was supposed to make the glass on the door shatter like that? Who thought that was necessary?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watched a feature length documentary on The Police, I can't be bothered to look up the name. The only thing I gained from it is just how big of a pompous asshole Sting is, definitely a Bono level douchebag.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I watched a feature length documentary on The Police, I can't be bothered to look up the name. The only thing I gained from it is just how big of a pompous asshole Sting is, definitely a Bono level douchebag.
At least Sting has talent and pays his taxes.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I remember it was Christmas, 1999 and Igot Tekken 3, and my mom had just gotten the album Brand New Day by Sting. I will forever associate/mindmelt Brian Fury's face with that fucking guy because you know I got to hear it twice on the way to her fucking sister's house and I was so young that my brain was doing things like that with audio and visuals. It was a rainy drive. NGL I'll always like that album because while it was on, I was just obsessively thinking about how dope it was going to be to get back home and play Tekken 3

1641873562362.png1641873506335.png

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
lol

The Legacy- 1978 British horror starring Catherine Ross, Sam Elliot and Roger Daltry. Ross and Elliot go to England thinking she's getting an architectural commission only to get trapped in a countryside estate and is told that she is the heir/reincarnation of a satanic legacy. Not terrible but also not super memorable. Some awesome sets and plenty of countryside scenery with a few interesting deaths.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Finished the Death Wish series on the weekend. 1 was by far the best which is followed closely by 3 and then by 5. 2 and 4 were so so with 4 being the worst of the lot.

Do recommend a watch for those who haven't.

I have not watched the remake released in 2018 however. Not sure how Bruce Willis fits in the Paul Kearsey character, he's too Mr. Tough guy. Bronson was like a frail old man just trying to catch a break.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I have not watched the remake released in 2018 however. Not sure how Bruce Willis fits in the Paul Kearsey character, he's too Mr. Tough guy. Bronson was like a frail old man just trying to catch a break.

I almost completely forgot this even existed. I did see it in theaters and only vaguely recall it being... kinda shit. I guess it was so bland I've pretty much forgot 99% of it

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
With Scream 5 about to come out, I decided to watch 1-4 again. I figured they'd all be on some streaming service, since that'd be good promotion. Like how you can watch all four Matrix movies plus Animatrix on HBO Max right now, and could watch all the others in the months leading up to the release of the 4th movie.

Turns out they're on all different streaming services. 1 and 2 are on Peacock, 3 is on Starz, 4 is on Showtime, and after its 45 day theatrical window Scream 5 is going to Paramount Plus. Great idea assbags, now I'm just gonna torrent them.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

At least Sting has talent and pays his taxes.
He has talent but he has used said talent with intent to cause grevious harm, lest we try to explain his penchant for writing such foul music. Maybe 5 good songs tops. One or two excellent songs (Shape of my Heart is a fantastic pop song).
I am a bit stoned but I do remember a time when Bono was a pretty amazing frontman. 20 years ago and back.
Bono 202X is a poopsicle

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Ooo hard disagree. Bono hasn't done anything good since the '80s.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Ooo hard disagree. Bono hasn't done anything good since the '80s.
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me and that whole period was his last stand in my opinion. He squeezed out the last of his authentic rocknroll energy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My mom's iPhone still has that fucking U2 album on it.
That had to be the most ill-conceived move of all-time. Millions of people all around the world in one simultaneous moment, transitioned from being indifferent to U2 to actively hating them. Whatever marketing genius at Apple or whoever came up with that idea effectively killed any chance for U2 to ever be liked again or make any kind of comeback for the rest of time.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
By that point it's about exposure and press. Bad publicity is good publicity. I'd say it was a good move considering U2 and Bono don't give a fuck if everyone hates them or not, they sure got published