Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Agreed. Plus here's a prediction. Some band or solo artist covers a U2 song and it's a massive hit. Bono and co join the feeding frenzy on the recieving end, U2 swiftly release a new (shit) album and make some charity event which they headline (together with Sting and Metallica). Elon Musk and Bono go into business together and make wads of cash.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Also Bono dresses many times better than Sting. His sense of style has been on point since forever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Popcorn- Really bizzarre horror comedy from 91. A group of film students throw a 50s MST3K style film festival/fund raiser that goes horribly wrong. 20 years ago an LSD fueled experimental film making cult leader released his final film where he killed his family live on stage and burned down the theater with him in it. But did he actually survive and what does he want from the main character? Does any of it make any sense?

This one is pretty fun. Tons of prosthetics, a host of familiar B movie faces from the era, some great 50s drive-in parodies and a bizarrely out of place reggae band. It's like Phantom of the Opera, Darkman and Demons had a retarded baby.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Also Bono dresses many times better than Sting. His sense of style has been on point since forever.
Again, I disagree:
sting.gif

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The Northman trailer looks cool.
I'd love a proper viking saga film (this looks to be a stylized horror thriller) but I hessitate to come up with a director with the savvy to pull it off. Maybe a Dunkirk Nolan, Malick maybe. Gibson has wanted to make something around Vikings and I'd love to see it, but again it would be more an action film than a period piece. There's actually a ton of directors that could surely pull it off, maybe a Scandinavian given Hollywood money. Or just have Jeremy Saulnier do something nice and violent and be done with it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Scream 5 is getting a good early response. I wish this had gotten the October release instead of that shitty Halloween sequel.

RT scores
Scream - 79%
Scream 2 - 82%
Scream 3 - 39%
Scream 4 - 60%
Scream 5 - 81%

No way I'd put Scream 2 over Scream but otherwise RT seems pretty on the ball with these scores.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Must be fun giving a shit about Rotten Tomato scores and living with your parents

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The trailer for Scream 5 is the worst. Oh shit Ghostface is hacking your smart-house Oooooooo! Better drag Courtney Cox back out of her crypt to help.

1 and 3 are the only good ones, 3 is shit but it's funny as hell since it's so far beyond stupid. 4 while terrible is surprisingly gory in stark contrast to others which have almost no gore. 2 isn't even worth watching.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf (That's the actual title)- Not even Cybil Dannings rockin' 80s bod or Christopher Lee's stone faced professionalism could save this one. I initially thought it was a self aware comedy what with the title and all. Unfortunately I quickly realized it was an incompetent, confusing, jarring mess. The effects are terrible and reused, nothing makes any sense, the 2 leads are worthless, most of the nudity of which there is a ton of is ruined by bizarre werewolf makeup and it ignore almost all the basic werewolf mythologies and just makes up a bunch of random bullshit.

I initially assumed the director was Italian because it feels like that special kind of terrible but it turns out that he's French/Australian which also makes sense.

It's the kind of movie I'd enjoy the RLM guy being forced to watch but enduring it myself was an exercise in frustration.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Wes Craven's big failing in terms of both Scream and Nightmare on Elm Street is the absence of brief nudity. Brief nudity is the affirmation of life that juxtaposes with the death and hopelessness, which is what makes a horror movie work. Plus I like it. Doesn't need to be gratuitous, doesn't need to be full frontal. Just brief.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wes Craven's big failing in terms of both Scream and Nightmare on Elm Street is the absence of brief nudity. Brief nudity is the affirmation of life that juxtaposes with the death and hopelessness, which is what makes a horror movie work. Plus I like it. Doesn't need to be gratuitous, doesn't need to be full frontal. Just brief.
Agreed, I don't think NOES is hurt by the lack of nudity as much as the Scream movies. Those are just perfectly setup for stereotypical slash nudity. Plus Rose McGowan having he tits out for even a couple seconds certainly wouldn't have hurt anything.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There was some brief titties in ANOES. Here's the handy sex & nudity section of IMDB's parents guide: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0087800/parentalguide/nudity

Scream managed to work with even less titties. Almost Dawson's Creek level prudishness. Wes Craven made good movies for the most part. I miss the guy. Last House on the Left was fucking harsh. The Hills Have Eyes was pretty fucked up as well. Craven definitely mellowed out in subsequent decades.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Eternals

So, I'm all for deep cut comic book character movies. Hell, Iron Man, while not a 'deep' cut, was not the top tier comic hero until Favreau kicked the MCU into gear. But at some point you kinda have to say "do people really wanna see these characters? Do people other than Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons actually even know much about these characters?"

The answer is no. Eternals is easily the worst MCU movie to date. It was boring, lackluster, had weird edits, and none of the characters are particularly likeable. Why would you cast Angelina Jolie in anything? Her lips look like she was hit in the mouth by a 2x4, and why is she speaking in an british accent when the other characters are speaking in their normal accents?

It was cool to have a little more background on the Celestials, the introduction of the Ebony Blade, etc. But even then, when people think comic books, people don't think Eros/Starfox, or Black Knight. I dont know where they are going with this, and how it's going to tie in to Kang's story since he's the next MCU big bad. So maybe it'll come full circle like the Guardians did. Except GoG 1 and 2 were fun movies. And a character in the movie that is basically being set up as the villain... isnt. wtf.

Snoozefest.

Edit: Actually there was one character I really liked, Karun played by Harish Patel. He was hilarious.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I expect to see the Eternals alongside other heroes in the films. Sort of like how we saw hulk many times but he only had one solo venture.

I suppose we’ll have a better idea once Dr Strange 2 is out where all this business is going.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Don't Breathe 2 - one of the more violent comedies I've seen in a while. The last 20 minutes or so were just batshit crazy, really, and the whole thing was generally fun to watch if you don't mind suspending disbelief a bit further than usual.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lair of the White Worm- This got the taste of Howling 2 out. Tongue firmly in cheek, plenty of nudity and some pretty great surreal dream sequences. This is how you make an oddball horror comedy. The actress that played the snake woman was perfectly cast and even Hugh Grant was used properly. Definitely recommended.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Don't Breathe 2 - one of the more violent comedies I've seen in a while. The last 20 minutes or so were just batshit crazy, really, and the whole thing was generally fun to watch if you don't mind suspending disbelief a bit further than usual.
One hundred percent this. They also allowed the villain to have an arc. He was always an antihero, or a monster in the movie sense. So many boogymen in film aren't actually villanous but rather anti heroes, protagonists in the shadows.
Anyway the blind guy is likeable always has been, even when totally bonkers.

Edit: by villanous I mean the bad guy. I mean Michael Myers is evil, that's the whole point of the character, but is he the bad guy? He's definetly not a cut and dry antagonist. Maybe he's the audience's antagonist, but I would rather think him the protagonist, and as such our gateway into the film, albeit tapping into the morose in us. The nature of morality in horror is not the same as in most other films.

Cheap film appreciation 4 lyfe hey

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just got back from Scream 5.

1 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 3

big spoilers
Spoiler:

One of the original three finally bit it. Dewey is dead. I was hoping if they killed one of the three it'd be Gale, but oh well. And the only returning character introduced in 4 came back to get ded too; Judy Hicks.

Clear setup for part 6 with Billy's daughter and Randy's niece and nephew pulling through. Randy's sister who cameo'd in Scream 3 had another cameo here.

Almost no mention of the killers from Scream 2, so there's gotta be something happening there in a sequel.

It's Scream, so obviously the movie is self-aware and aware of the general genre trends. I like how they handled it for the most part, even making fun of themselves for not numbering the sequel.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Scream 5 was not good. Wes Craven sorely missed. Once again, a modern sequel that starts out quite well and deteriorates into a repetitive remake. First of all, if you are making a 2 HOUR horror movie, it needs to be better than this. I watched the original again recently and it holds up well. The meta shit has gone way too far as the series progressed. They reference events in the early films, the film series within the film series, horror movie audiences, fans of the fictional Stab franchise, etc, etc. The script is overloaded with references and call-backs. The ending was truly terrible. Literally the same as the original. Also, zero tits, woke girl power shit, and a dude in a shower scene. Plz stop.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Scream 5 was not good. Wes Craven sorely missed. Once again, a modern sequel that starts out quite well and deteriorates into a repetitive remake. First of all, if you are making a 2 HOUR horror movie, it needs to be better than this. I watched the original again recently and it holds up well. The meta shit has gone way too far as the series progressed. They reference events in the early films, the film series within the film series, horror movie audiences, fans of the fictional Stab franchise, etc, etc. The script is overloaded with references and call-backs. The ending was truly terrible. Literally the same as the original. Also, zero tits, woke girl power shit, and a dude in a shower scene. Plz stop.
The original Scream has direct references or callbacks to
Halloween (several)
Halloween II
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Carrie
Prom Night
I Spit on Your Grave
The Exorcist
When a Stranger Calls
Psycho
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hellraiser
The Fog
Evil Dead
The Howling
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Terror Train
The Bad Seed
The Silence of the Lambs
Deadly Blessing

And probably several more.

You showed up to a series that exists as a meta vehicle to deconstruct the horror genre and then said it was too "deconstruct the horror genre-y"

Wyo's review of the next Creed or Rocky film:
"there was too much self-reflection followed by training montages and then a boxing match"