Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fami that's because the original Scream is literally a meta parody of slasher films

How would you feel if Halloween 60 or whatever was just a video of someone watching Halloween 1??? huh???

Seems like wyo is complaining about in-series meta, which I agree is not good writing

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fami that's because the original Scream is literally a meta parody of slasher films

How would you feel if Halloween 60 or whatever was just a video of someone watching Halloween 1??? huh???

Seems like wyo is complaining about in-series meta, which I agree is not good writing
The original movie references itself and so do all the sequels. The opening of Scream 2 is literally 2 characters getting murdered at a screening of an in-universe movie based on the events of the first film. And this is because real-world violence was blamed on the first movie. All of the killers in the series are obsessed with horror movies; the later ones are obsessed with the in-universe movies inspired by the events of the first.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Exactly, meta or not it still needs to be able to stand on it's own merit as a movie.
It does, much more so than 2, 3, or 4. This is the first movie in the series where everything doesn't ultimately tie into Sidney's relationship with her mom. Sidney is in this movie because she's relevant to the events of the first movie from the perspective of the killers; the killer isn't someone who is motivated by vengeance against her/her mom like in the other four.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You don't make it sound like that in your spoiler tagged blurb or you response to wyo.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You don't make it sound like that in your spoiler tagged blurb or you response to wyo.
Spoiler:

This is the first movie where a main character is not someone introduced in the original film, the first movie where someone survives the opening kill scene, the first movie where the main killer isn't fixated on Sidney. It establishes new characters and gives them their own shit to do. The original characters are in this movie for reasons that make sense and they're left in a place where the franchise could easily move on from them or bring them back in supporting roles. They aren't just there to be shit on like legacy characters in the new Star Wars and they aren't just there as a MacGuffin like the new Ghostbusters movie, where the geezers show up in the last scene and solve the entire conflict for the new characters. They show up, contribute in ways that stay true to their prior characterizations, and allow the new generation to establish themselves.

Scream deconstructed the horror film, Scream 2 deconstructed the sequel, Scream 3 (poorly) deconstructed the trilogy. This one deconstructs legacy sequels in the same way. This movie is similar to Matrix Resurrections in the way it attacks its own legacy and fanbase, but it's not as angry or personal as Matrix was in that regard. The series was always self-aware so there was no way to do this movie without the meta narrative of legacy sequels/semi-reboots. That's what the movie is so they have to address it or it's not a Scream movie.

It would be better if Matrix didn't just do basically the same thing, but this is a much better movie than Matrix 4 and was supposed to be released first.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Scream has always been garbage and a pox on the horror genre. The original film, while a clever deconstruction, stillbirthed an entire genre of self-aware trash films starring CW rejects that think using all of the genre's tropes while making fun of them is somehow high art.

The sequels are all awful. Totally unsurprising that Fanny would enjoy watching a snake endlessly eat its own tail.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The kids liked Encanto.

I thought it was a middling, low stakes effort.

Coco was far superior.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Lost Daughter- A woman goes on vacation to a seaside villa in Greece and fixates on a skanky young mother and her horrible daughter. Slowly revealing the woman's own history with her daughters and the failure of her marriage and metal instability.

Well this was getting quite positive reviews and people talking up Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial skills and bold choices. I couldn't even finish it, the whole tone of it is extremely uncomfortable. It's a pretentious, self indulgent, grating, claustrophobic mess. It's total lacking in self awareness is astounding. A stellar cast absolutely wasted.

I can just imagine Maggie Gyllenhaal in interviews talking about it revealing the uncomfortable truth of intimacy, relationships, motherhood etc. while the interviewer commends her for taking risks. Absolute garbage.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Lost Daughter- A woman goes on vacation to a seaside villa in Greece and fixates on a skanky young mother and her horrible daughter. Slowly revealing the woman's own history with her daughters and the failure of her marriage and metal instability.

Well this was getting quite positive reviews and people talking up Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial skills and bold choices. I couldn't even finish it, the whole tone of it is extremely uncomfortable. It's a pretentious, self indulgent, grating, claustrophobic mess. It's total lacking in self awareness is astounding. A stellar cast absolutely wasted.

I can just imagine Maggie Gyllenhaal in interviews talking about it revealing the uncomfortable truth of intimacy, relationships, motherhood etc. while the interviewer commends her for taking risks. Absolute garbage.
Maggie Gyllenhaal shows her boobs in Secretary. This was back when she didn't look like a laundromat hooker.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched the SAW movies up to number 6, god they're terrible but I had to know just how terrible as I never saw them when they came out.

Can someone recommend some good gorefest films?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Hostel and humancentipad make for great Valentine’s Day watching.

I actually thought Saw 1 was a good movie with a decent twist at the end. The others, not so much but I haven’t seen past 3 or 4.

For comedy horror, look at Peter Jackson’s early films: Brain dead and Bad Taste are horror b movie classics.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I never knew Scream was so polarizing...or beloved....

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched Death Wish last night.

It went a little different than I thought but it was enjoyable. I dont know if I want/need to watch the sequels. Only thing I didn't like is the music. It was distracting, but it was also 1974.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

I thought it was alright honestly. Not as fabulous as some gushed, but good. The protagonists younger and older versions of each other I thought where brilliant.
You missed a reasonably interssting ending.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I thought it was alright honestly. Not as fabulous as some gushed, but good. The protagonists younger and older versions of each other I thought where brilliant.
You missed a reasonably interssting ending.
Olivia Coleman is a great actress, check out Landscapers if you haven't.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hostel and humancentipad make for great Valentine’s Day watching.

I actually thought Saw 1 was a good movie with a decent twist at the end. The others, not so much but I haven’t seen past 3 or 4.

For comedy horror, look at Peter Jackson’s early films: Brain dead and Bad Taste are horror b movie classics.
Hostel and Human centipede are so fucking ridiculous :LOL: