Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
And need I remind you that in the last F&F movie Luda and Tyrese put rockets on a car and drove it in to outer fucking space.

Outer space.
People keep telling me to watch the latest one because of that outer space thing. But I've never seen any of them. Mainly because Im not a car/racing guy. I like cars just fine, but I dont fuck mine so I never really saw the point of them.

But the outer space thing is intriguing if only to see that they have embraced how dumb and pointless racing movies are. I might check it out, maybe.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I feel like people don't even watch a lot of these movies for actual entertainment anymore. Just to say they've seen it and nitpick everything to death and honestly I don't think they even merit that much thought. They're disposable junk for the most part.

They are disposable junk but you can make disposable junk that's competently made and they're reaching a point where they're not even that anymore.

There's really only like 6 franchises and animated kids movies, that's fucking sad. Maybe twice a year we get something like The Green Knight or Licorice Pizza and even then you have to go to an independent theater to see them because the big theaters are playing Spiderman on 6 screens with showtimes every 15 minutes. It wasn't that long ago that we were still getting stuff like Ex Machina, Drive and Annihilation at chain theaters. The closest we've gotten in the last few years is the new Dune.

The big studios are incredibly risk averse (though it's really just what... Disney, WB, Universal, Sony at this point?) but they haven't quite squeezed out the "director who made them a bunch of money's vanity project" kinda movie yet. The one thing I do like about the Marvel movies is that it's a pipeline for indie filmmakers to make a billion dollar movie, giving them enough credit with the studios to pitch their own, weirder ideas. Tycho WideTitties probably doesn't get to do Jojo Rabbit (or at least at that budget) without making a Thor movie. Christopher Nolan doesn't get to make his 3-hour sci-fi brown-note movies without 3 Batmans under his belt. The Doctor Strange guy is going back to making small, original horror movies that will actually get theatrical releases.

Largely, it just means that you need to live near a non-corporate chain theater (or an Alamo) to see most of the good movies that come out. We've gotten several good-to-great movies just in the past couple of months but if I didn't have an Alamo nearby, I probably would've watched them all on my couch.

100proof

10 Year Member
People keep telling me to watch the latest one because of that outer space thing. But I've never seen any of them. Mainly because Im not a car/racing guy. I like cars just fine, but I dont fuck mine so I never really saw the point of them.

But the outer space thing is intriguing if only to see that they have embraced how dumb and pointless racing movies are. I might check it out, maybe.

The F+F movies stopped being racing movies around the time the Rock showed up. Now they're more spy/heist/ridiculous spectacle movies. Like a Bond movie with all of the class and subtlety stripped away. Or the Italian Job with meatheads. Vin Diesel might think he's making fine art but it seems like everyone else is in on the joke.

Don't pay for it or anything but totally watch one. They're not good movies by any stretch but it will make you laugh unintentionally in a "well that just happened" kinda way.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Skip the first 2 F&F movies for sure, they're boring and cheap. (maybe go back and watch the first one after you've seen all the others)

Tokyo Drift is an amazingly bizarre piece of shit that's still mostly about racing but yeah after that they're big, dumb, globe trotting heist movies. They have nothing to do with cars or racing in any traditional sense. The cars are just the heroes superpowers.

The Rock punches a fucking torpedo at one point while being chased by a submarine on a frozen lake. They're amazing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

They’re not car movies per se. They’re just car-centric superhero action films.

Edit: see the above two posts, they explain it better.

As for Marvel films, I blame Disney as stated above. It’s all Risk averse cookie cutter shit.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I read that Diesel, Dwayne and Statham all have clauses in their contracts that say no-one can beat them in a fight so whenever they fight each other they all hit each other exact the same amount of times.

Supposedly Vin Diesel and The Rock hate each other so much that for the last F&F they were never on set at the same time and any scene where they are is edited together. Pretty hilarious.

I also watched a behind the scenes feature on the making of the entire series and the actual car stunts are surprisingly real a majority of the time. That in itself is a technical and logistical miracle. The only other modern film that comes close to the latter F&F's for that kind of spectacle is Fury Road.

Reactions: jro

100proof

10 Year Member
Supposedly Justin Lin (who made the last few of them) got fed up with Vin Diesel being a primadonna and quit the most recent one. I don't follow them particularly closely (I've seen a couple of them out of curiosity's sake) but it would appear from the outside that ol' Vinny D might take himself and his stupid "family" movies a little too seriously.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I only learned last year that all those cars in Fury road were real cars. Watched some documentary on the film and those cars were just absolutely incredible.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I only learned last year that all those cars in Fury road were real cars. Watched some documentary on the film and those cars were just absolutely incredible.
Yeah some of them were built like a decade before Fury Road when Mel Gibson was still signed on to return and when that didn't pan out the studio had them put into storage. The movie is absolutely amazing, it's probably the best edited movie ever made. Miller's wife is his editor and the stuff she did in Fury Road is mind blowing when you see how she did it.
This goes into it a bit.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I read that Diesel, Dwayne and Statham all have clauses in their contracts that say no-one can beat them in a fight so whenever they fight each other they all hit each other exact the same amount of times.

Supposedly Vin Diesel and The Rock hate each other so much that for the last F&F they were never on set at the same time and any scene where they are is edited together. Pretty hilarious.

I also watched a behind the scenes feature on the making of the entire series and the actual car stunts are surprisingly real a majority of the time. That in itself is a technical and logistical miracle. The only other modern film that comes close to the latter F&F's for that kind of spectacle is Fury Road.
Absolutely true, which is bizarre, and has led to the tertiary folks, i.e. Tyrese Gibson, being pretty fucking annoyed at having their meal ticket turned into, I dunno, whatever the fuck that is.

Diesel and Johnson, in particular, have a quite famous dislike of each other that apparently did indeed lead to the last proper F and F movie being shot with them doing their work entirely separately, which, kinda WTF. They both seem like arrogant assholes from how they're portrayed in the media, but yeesh, I dunno, $20 million each can't work things out? Honestly, it's kind of funny to me how all three guys (Statham included here) could have a legit claim to being able to whip the others' asses, regardless of acting talent, except for maybe Diesel. Statham's a legit world-class athlete in diving and he's trained as hell in martial arts. Rock, well, yeah, he's a pro wrestler but you fight him. Vin may be the be most street-wise of the three but he's last in my rankings by a lot.

And... then... Hobbes and Shaw killed it at the box office. F and F next will do okay, but not as well without its two actual breadwinners.

Diesel's okay, he's a cool Hollywood success story overall, but really, maybe don't pick a fight you aren't going to win.

Also F and F movies are as fucking stupid and formulaic as new Star Wars and MCU. The one with Luke Evans was okay but fuck me, Luke, Luda, Tyrese, Asian Chick, Dr. Strange, Blonde Girl, Dame Judy Dench just stop it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is pitch black the best film Diesel has been in? Or Iron Giant?

I bet his voice acting as groot prints money.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Is pitch black the best film Diesel has been in? Or Iron Giant?

I bet his voice acting as groot prints money.
I mean if you wanna count Groot, then I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy lol. If not, I guess Pitch Black would be his best work. And arguably the best of the whole Riddick...thing.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dead End Drive In: 80's Ozploitation weirdness. In the near future roving gangs of teenager criminals in custom cars are such a problem that the only solution is to trap them all at a giant drive in movie theater with electrified fences and armed guards and basically let them do whatever they want as long as they don't try to escape. Like a giant outdoor slum/prision/playground where you live in your car. It's essentially Mad Max for juvenile delinquents.

Very Australian and very 80's. Visually striking with tons of neon at night, insane fashion, a great soundtrack and a lot of car action. There's some strangely clunky commentary on the privatization of institutions, racism and immigration but aside from that it's pretty awesome and quite a spectacle of 80s madness.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Chip n Dale, Rescue Rangers (2022):

Plenty of easter eggs from all sorts of properties, not just Disney. It kinda reminded me of the Wreck it Ralph movie where you saw game characters from all systems/eras.

I like John Mulaney, and I guess he did a good job as the straight man Chip, but Andy Samberg pretty much embodied the RR version of Dale. He did really well. Keegan Michael Key voices a Swedish Chef knock off and has arguably the best shot in the movie.

Pretty funny, worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do and if you have D+.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Spider-Man No Way Home was 20 different kinds of stupid:
-If the spell only brings people that know Peter Parker is Spider-Man, why does it bring Eddie Brock and Electro? Eddie has never met Peter or Spider-Man and Electro never learned his identity

-Why the hell wouldn't they just use the memory spell to wipe out the memory of Mysterio or what he said rather than erasing Peter from everyone's mind? You can't just introduce an ability like that and then not think it through. Well, I guess you can, but it just makes either all your characters look like morons or the person who wrote it look like a moron. Either way, stupid.

-Why don't Peter and Strange have a 2 minute conversation before they start using universe-altering magic? The entire conflict of this movie could've been averted just by either Peter shutting the hell up or Strange getting the spell completely correct before he started it.

-Why would forgetting about Peter's identity send them all home to begin with? For the spell to have that effect it would have to work on the entire multiverse, since the whole problem is that everyone who knows Peter's identity in the multiverse is getting pulled to the mainline MCU earth. So didn't Strange just wipe out Garfield-Spidey, Tobey-Spidey, and every other Spider-Man in the multiverse's identity from every single person in the multiverse?

-How does Peter rent an apartment, get a job, register for his classes, etc if nobody has ever heard of him? Does he have a social security number still? Birth certificate?

-They don't really explain how curing the villains of their various conditions will prevent their deaths if some of them were pulled from the instant before they died. Presumably they get sent right back where they came from, and if that's the case, Norman is just gonna get impaled by his glider and Electro is just going to get electrocuted to death. But if they are somehow sent back to a point in time where they can avoid the conflict to begin with, that changes the subsequent timelines. If Norman and Peter never fight that changes the circumstances of how Peter would've interacted with Sandman and Doc Oc later in his timeline. Same goes for the Lizard and Electro in the other movie franchise.

-Apparently everything needed to cure all these supervillains can be constructed by five people in a few hours with materials sitting around a high school chemistry lab? This is as stupid as Tony Stark building a reactor in a cave with a box of scraps.

This was seriously the dumbest movie in the MCU as far as plot goes.
Imagine this was written by an adult man, Jesus Christ.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Morbius
Seemed like an average superhero movie to me. Not sure why it got so much hate. Checks all the boxes, and I actually like Jared Leto as an actor. I know his off screen personality is something else, but I don't really follow that. Not an interesting villain, which is the biggest detractor.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I mean if you wanna count Groot, then I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy lol. If not, I guess Pitch Black would be his best work. And arguably the best of the whole Riddick...thing.
I enjoyed the latest Riddick. It want back to us vs the monsters thing and him taking the bad guys one by one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Morbius
Seemed like an average superhero movie to me. Not sure why it got so much hate. Checks all the boxes, and I actually like Jared Leto as an actor. I know his off screen personality is something else, but I don't really follow that. Not an interesting villain, which is the biggest detractor.

I mean - Matt Smith's character was all sorts of lame. I dont mind him as an actor, but he is just so unfortunate looking and outside of Doctor Who, I can never take him seriously. And why didn't he take off those Payless Shoes sneakers through the whole movie, lol. Homeboy was rich, and didn't even try to get some Jays? That one scene that everyone is ripping on with him getting dressed and randomly and stupidly flexing and making his 'bat face' or whatever was just lulz and deserves the ridicule.

It went nowhere. It tried to include itself in the MCU and apparently Fiege was all butthurt about it and said it's not part of it, even though Keaton's Vulture showed up at the end. And what was that about?

I know Morbius is sort of an anti-hero like Venom and all in the comics, but this movie couldn't decide if he was an anti-hero, a hero, a tragic character, or a straight up villain. I mean it even ends with Toomes recruiting him into the Sinister Six? Why? Makes no sense. And then I guess the girl is now a vampire? Sorta?

I think Leto is an ok actor. I *hated* his Joker, but his Joker in the Snyder Cut was actually much better and I could see that Joker being pretty cool in a full flick. Just not the one in Suicide Squad, or whatever one he showed up in.

If considered an MCU flick, Id say it was right at the bottom with Eternals. It was just dumb.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I enjoyed the latest Riddick. It want back to us vs the monsters thing and him taking the bad guys one by one.
Was that the one with the girl from BattleStar Galactica? I think I watched part of it and stopped for some reason, and just didn't get back to it. I had heard some decent things about it though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Was that the one with the girl from BattleStar Galactica? I think I watched part of it and stopped for some reason, and just didn't get back to it. I had heard some decent things about it though.

Katee Sackhoff is great.

Have you watched Longmire (tv show)? She’s great in that.

The Riddick movie was okay, too derivative of Pitch Black in some ways.

Escape From Butcher Bay may be the best video game adaptation of a film series ever made.